• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People selling Win 7 keys on eBay, legit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Missing out on the "Win 7 for $30 for students" deal, I was scouting eBay to see if someone would try to resell theirs for cheap, as I'm sure it happened. All I found were tons of people selling "legit" keys for Windows 7, from $10 to $30. I can only assume these are OEM keys provided to system manufacturers or whatever, but is it ok to buy and use one of these? What is the legality of it, or downfalls? Any advice would be great.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Bad idea. Your paying for something that likely isn't legal. Even if it is a legal key, your taking the vendors word that they aren't selling the same one to 100 different people - down the road, MS could crack down on the key and you'll find yourself getting a "your version of windows is pirated" message.

madhatter256

Special Member
They are technet licenses. They are legit in where they do not expire and activate just fine, but I think selling it like this is illegal/violates the license agreement.

RoC1909

I understand how people want to save money, but if you want to be "legit", I would suggest buying your copy of Windows through the traditional "brick and mortar" stores. Doing that, you would absolutely know that you are getting a authentic copy of Windows and have a key that won't be blacklisted now or in the future. And as "Madhatter" mentions, I would bet that getting a key this way violates SOME sort of agreement Microsoft has implemented somewhere.

pizzaboy9990

hi guys new guy alert!!!
i also have seen these keys for sale on ebay....
can someone explain why there so cheap
the auction states
legal keys
100% genuine
and so!! you get the picture..

help!

TempliNocturnus

hi guys new guy alert!!!
i also have seen these keys for sale on ebay....
can someone explain why there so cheap
the auction states
legal keys
100% genuine
and so!! you get the picture..

help!

Well of course they're going to state that they're legal/genuine; it wouldn't be a good marketing practice to advertise them as being pirated/illegal.

I would imagine that the people selling these keys copy them from OEM computers and hope to sucker people in buying them cheap. Essentially, if it looks too good to be true, it isn't.

Mr.Guvernment

as said MSDN keys, usually you sign up with MSDN you can get 10 keys per item, like Office, windows, but those keys are for testing more or less and not to be used outside of the account owner using them.

These people's accounts likely will get nailed if they are from MSDN, my friend sent me a key once, and since he is in Canada, and i am in costa rica, about 3 days later he got an email from MS asking if he had been traveling or something as his keys were being used outside of his registered country.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I think it says in the agreement before you install Windows that the key is yours, and you cannot sell it to another party.... at least it did in XP. I'm not sure if it does in Win7 or Vista, but i would assume it does. I wouldn't buy them. Too much of a chance of something going wrong...

Mr.Guvernment

OEM your not supposed to sell it, Retail i think you could.. maybe

but didn't a U.S judge state that a EULA is not binding since one can only agree to it after the purchase was made...

orion456

Just as a note of caution, I bought what appeared to be a legal copy of WinXP Pro off Ebay. The packaged arrived sealed and looked perfect including a holographic disk. It activated fine and survived three update validations. On the fourth validation, a few months later, it said the key was illegal. I phoned M$ and they confirmed that key had never been issued by them. Fortunately I got a free key from M$ after turning over the material sent to me.

Ebay isn't the best place to buy Windows.

diaz

I bought 2 keys off the internet, they appeared legit and were very low priced. I have them on 2 machines with automatic updates ON, for at least 2 months now.. We'll see!

tinymouse2

Well they got the keys using a non petrol driven generator.
Basically if the key is the same as someone who paid for it then you can't use it. If no-one has used it yet then you can use it as much as you want.

If you get foundid out that you've used one of these keys then you don't have to worry, you haven't actually done anything wrong. It's at the fault of the distributor (person who sold it to you on ebay).

So yeh, you can use it but if someone else buys the legit version from M$ then you can't use that key anymore. So if the price is low enough then I say go for it but know that it does come with strings atatched.

I'm assuming that it's pretty much the same as it was for XP and Vista here. I can't see how it could have changed.

To all mods, please poke me if I've said anything out of line so I can change it straight away. I've really tried to keep it as responsible as possible so hopefully I haven't crossed any boundaries :)

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
While informative, I'd add in that obtaining microsoft software through anything but legitimate Microsoft channels is against microsofts terms of service. You can share a windows CD from a friend, but if you are thinking you will download windows from somewhere other than MSDN and use one of these keys - MS does not permit that sort of usage and you are taking a risk that the software you download has been rootkitted or otherwise could contain nasties.

tinymouse2

While informative, I'd add in that obtaining microsoft software through anything but legitimate Microsoft channels is against microsofts terms of service. You can share a windows CD from a friend, but if you are thinking you will download windows from somewhere other than MSDN and use one of these keys - MS does not permit that sort of usage and you are taking a risk that the software you download has been rootkitted or otherwise could contain nasties.

QFT :thup:

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers

Been down this road with Nero from Ebay. Key was legitimate but software disk was counterfeit and the same key sold to many. This sounds like a similar deal.

http://overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505397&highlight=Nero

Nero complained to Ebay, Ebay pulled the auction and turned all info over to Nero and the vendor was arrested in California. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

gigabit

I lost out on $70 buying one of those W7 keys.It worked for about 4 months til i went to do a fresh install then it wouldn't Validate.I had to buy the WGA kit to make it legit($199.99 + taxes $211.99 + the orignal $70 i lost) and of course dude is in the wind now.
But It was worth i guess.I still saved about $60 over buying a retail version of W7 Ultimate 64 and now i have a 32bit and 64 bit DVD as well .People were buying dozen's of these MSDN keys under false pretense and now MS is blacklisting all those keys.Becareful