• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PEP66T, feet/shim required for FC-PGA??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
I'm getting a PEP66T, and the previous user had this on an AMD chip. I seem to recall, that to use this Alpha on the intel flip chip, you need to have feet mounted on the base of the sink, or use a copper shim, to prevent crushing the core.

True or False?

Any ideas on a homebrew "feet" replacement? Or should I pony up the dough ($10 or so) for a shim, and wait til I get it to use the PEP66?

Thanks.

Mr B

If new, yes. This is a used PEP66T, no feet with it.

Do I need the feet or a shim?

How can I /what can I McGyiver this with if I do?

Thanks.

Mr B

Thanks again.

There's just something inside me that rebels against paying $5 shipping for four little round pieces of plastic...........

I suppose if I have to, I will. I was hoping someone else had been in this situation before, and found an alterative. Hope this place will accept a money order........

Mr B

*sigh*

Mr B

Intel states the dimension from the PCB to top of the slug is .787mm min to .889mm max. Maybe this can help you to McGuyver something(cool term). Found it here on pages 84,85
ftp://download.intel.com/design/celeron/datashts/24365816.pdf

Sempei (Feb 19, 2001 12:51 a.m.):
Intel states the dimension from the PCB to top of the slug is .787mm min to .889mm max. Maybe this can help you to McGuyver something(cool term). Found it here on pages 84,85
ftp://download.intel.com/design/celeron/datashts/24365816.pdf

Thanks for the info.

I've been spinning a wrench on cars here for close to ten years now. I live just south of Boston, Mass. Cars here rust up quite a bit, due to the sand and salt we put on the roads each winter.

Whe things rust like this, they break a lot when you try to take them apart to fix things. And then have to fix what broke, too.

Always thought that McGuyver sounded a bit better than Mickey Mouse............

Mr B

The feet are for use with an Intel FC-PGA processor. Just stick them on the places marked on the copper inset. Remove them for an AMD Duron or T-Bird. The AMD glass CPU's already have the feet they need.
If the PEP-66T comes with a thin ~20 cfm 60mm fan I suggest replacing it with a ~27 cfm Sunon or YSTech CPU fan. If you'll try to OC the crap outta your CII, a Delta 30 or 38 cfm 60mm CPU fan would be better.

My less than universal experience with copper shims suggests that they are APITA, and may be more trouble than they're worth. The rubber/plastic "feet" are a much better solution.

I agree. Your Local Friendly Hardware Store should have some rubber stick-ons very similar to what comes with the PEP. You've got good enough mechanical sense to eyeball them, and thanks to Sempei's measurements (a cool bit of info, BTW, thanks), you should be able to judge the clearance.

I would be a bit conservative initially with the distance (and allowing for squishiness), rather than risk crushing the chip. And the first time firing up the system, watch your temps, especially rapid rises under load. You can always lap off a little rubber if you have to. Good luck!

Thanks guys, for all of the tips and info. I was pretty sure the feet were required for this.

I guess there's nothing left to say but..

"Hi ho, hi ho,

To Home Depot I go............."

Thank.

Mr B

Brian,

I opened that box back up bro and those little rubber feet are in there. I thought they where screw covers lol. Having an AMD chip which comes with them makes them redudant for me. In any event everything cept the mounting instructions are in the box, even those mini screws I got from Home Depot. They are much better for the fan, unless of course you plan on switching to a more powerfull abit more noisy model. If so I am sure some one out there would buy the delta off ya :)

Awesome!!

Thanks for the e-mail, and post here to let me know you have the feet still with the box it came in.

I can only imagine the look on the guy's face at Home Depot if I asked where to find something like these.....(..."yeah, I'm looking for these little plastic feet....um...so I can stick 'em on the bottom of my oversized heatsink, so I don't crush the core of my Celeron that I'm cranking up to over a gig.....")

He'd send me to Radio sHack for sure.......

Thanks.

Mr B

Should have seen the lady at WalMart when I bought that sun tea jar. She goes "Ohhhhh you like sun tea too???" I was "No acutally I am sticking a water pump in it and the spout looks like a great plug exit" For some reason she didnt want to talk to me anymore lol

ROTF,LMAO !!

It never fails to amaze me the looks you get when you are buying an item to use for an application that the item was never intended for.

Been there.........

The two most popular looks you get are:

1) The "deer in the headlights" DUH?? stare

2) The "What are you, on GLUE??" face

Think outside the box. If you can find another application for an item, you have doubled it's usefullness. Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Sometimes it's just a Mother........

Mr B

Tomsawyer (Feb 20, 2001 09:50 p.m.):
Should have seen the lady at WalMart when I bought that sun tea jar. She goes "Ohhhhh you like sun tea too???" I was "No acutally I am sticking a water pump in it and the spout looks like a great plug exit" For some reason she didnt want to talk to me anymore lol

Actually, she probably busted her kid with the same jar after he converted it into a water bong........

Mr B

Back