• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

perception of beauty and computer generated beauty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiyan

UPDATE:

my website on attraction science is up! have a look at it under http://www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m0324684/attraction/!

this page only views corretly with Internet Explorer, so I'll make a different version for non IE users....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRO:

people's perception of beauty is something that came up in a few threads I've participated in.

ever since I did a presentation on the subject of perception of beauty in highschool, I've been quite interested in the psychological side of it. (I guess that and along with the fact that I am a heterosexual guy)

I felt it was better to start a new thread here rather than polute those threads.

The following is what I found while researching for that presentation for Theory of Knowledge (for which I got an excellent grade for my IB). Recipe for your perfect woman is the synthesis of all the stuff I found.

Just want to know other people's thoughts on this. If you agree or disagree, voice your opinion!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAIN IDEAS

here's what I wrote on the other thread:

after doing a presentation on the subject of perception of beauty for Theory of Knowledge (part of International Baccalaureate), it seemed that what makes a beautiful woman could be pretty easily defined:

although there's slight variances in personal preference, the main issues are the same wherever you're from.

so, recipe for your perfect woman:

take the average of all the women you've ever seen (which would be different for everyone), make eyes larger, eyelashes longer, eyebrows narrower, more arched and further from the eyes, cheek bones more pronounced, nose narrower, chin sharper, jaw shorter and narrower, lips fuller, breasts around C or D cup with nice round shape, waist to butt ratio of 2:3, Body Mass Index of 19~20 kg/m2, perfect facial and body symetry, nice skin, around 22 years old.

there you have it. your personallised perfect woman.

average: extreme features are not good.
facial enhancements: signs of high levels of oestrogen "hyperfemininity"
body features: breasts for feeding baby, hip to ratio of 2:3 is good for childbirth, BMI of 19~20 is sign of youth
perfect symetry: good genes
nice skin: no parasites.
22: rough age of peak fertility

I think Scientific American used this recipe to make a perfect "hyperfemale" face (starting from average face of women from many parts of the world to account for the diverse readers), and indeed it was a very attractive face.

example of near perfect face: Christy Turlington (edit: at 22 yrs)
example of near perfect body: Laetitia Casta (edit: at 22 yrs)

just found a virtual face, which is quite attractive:

virtual Miss Germany 2002

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION

that virtual miss Germany comes from a website of a German university's psychology students' project. I found this website today (07/10/2003), and it is quite good. One thing they mentioned which I did not hear of before was the "baby face" theory.

they made a lot of computer generated faces using Morpher 3, which look totally real, for both attractive and unattractive faces. have a look.

all they did to get that virtual miss Germany was to blend the faces of all contestants of the beauty pageant from the year 2002.

if they used that as the average face, and applied the "hyperfemininity" treatment, they could have come up with an even more stunning looking woman.

that's what Scientific American did for their cover. unfortunately I have not been able to find that cover.

That's most of what me and my partner found for men's perception of women.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEN

We also found a lot of interesting info on how women perceive men.

Basically, they prefer a less manly (perceived as reliable) men when they are least fertile, and a slightly more manly men (but still less manly than the average) when they are fertile.

This means that women's instincts would lead her to be with a reliable guy for the long run, but cuckhold him, having the child of a less reliable but better looking guy. Of course with condoms and stuff this does not happen, but would have happened in the hunter gatherer days.
(EDIT: Renigade pointed out that this could be taken as saying that women base their decisions purely from their instincts, which is definitely not what I was trying to say. So to clear that up, what I was trying to say is that these instincts exist in the subconcious, and have an effect on the decisions people make.)

The website I made for all this is not up at the moment, but it will be in a few days. In it are also results from a survey the two of us did in our school.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVELS OF ATTRACTION

one thing to think about is how all of this is related to each sex's input into pregnancy. (think of how a woman is attractive whether she's poor or rich, but a guy is much more attractive (for the long term anyway) if he's rich)

three levels of attraction, no. 3 is much less important than 2 and 1 in the judgement of beauty:

1: biological needs for maximum survival rate of baby: BMI, 2/3 ratio, 22 yrs, skin, bosom
2: good genes and signs of high fertility: symmetry, hyperfemininity of facial features
3: personal preferences (fine tuning): character etc.

think of how you meet a woman: you first see all the aspects of 1, then all the aspects of 2, and only after a long time, all the aspects of 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SURVEY RESULTS

Results from survey of 60 girls aged 16~18 from my school for the guy they want:

1: Social status (popularity in schooltalk) important?:
57% YES, 43% NO

2: Is age important:
20% very, 80% not very, 0% not at all

3: How much taller (or shorter) does he have to be?:
17% 20cm+, 57% 10~20cm, 26% 2~10cm, 0% her height or shorter

4: Is it important that he'll protect you?:
70% YES, 30% not very, 0% NO

5: Does he need to be talkative:
83% YES, 17% NO

6: What is the most important physical aspect of a guy?:
(using a rating of 1 for most important, 6 for least important)
Face: 1.19, Chest: 3.15, Butt: 3.46, hands/feet: 3.81, Legs: 4.11, Body hair: 5.08

(what surprised me was hands/feet being so high)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SURVEY RESULTS PART 2

Results from survey of 60 guys aged 16~18 from my school for the girl they want:

1. Hair length:
17% short, 83% long

2. Chin:
8% wide, 92% narrow

3. Pamela Anderson with or without implants:
67% With, 33% Without

4. Salary of your wife:
33% Important, 67% Not important

5. Rate the importance of following body parts:
(scale of 1 for most important to 7 for least important)
Face: 1.48, Legs: 3.00, Chest: 3.19, Hips: 4.14, Waist: 4.38, Hair: 4.81, Hands: 6.19

Last edited:
shiyan said:

Basically, they prefer a less manly (perceived as reliable) men when they are least fertile, and a slightly more manly men (but still less manly than the average) when they are fertile.

This means that women's instincts would lead her to be with a reliable guy for the long run, but cuckhold him, having the child of a less reliable but better looking guy. Of course with condoms and stuff this does not happen, but would have happened in the hunter gatherer days.

wow, so women aren't intelligent when picking a man? :D

Re: Re: perception of beauty and computer generated beauty

Penguin4x4 said:

wow, so women aren't intelligent when picking a man? :D

studies done in this area seem to suggest that women are pretty sly of nature. they are "programed" use the reliable guy to raise the kids of a good looking guy.

but birth control pills change all that. the perception changed due to the hormonal changes, but when a womna uses birth control pills (and I think most do nowadays), the hormone which controls these perceptions stay constant the whole time.

could have quite an effect on the further evolution of humans.

Beast Of Blight said:
I odn't find ms.virtuagermania that pretty..

that's strange. I think most people would rate her as quite attractive.

but, she is just the average of the contestants. like I remarked earlier, if they used virtual Miss Germany as the starting point, and applied the hyperfeminine traits, she would be a lot more stunning.

I've read a lot about this before and it's interesting. You've done a really good job of presenting it in a readible and condensed version.

I find this theory of beauty to be really interesting because it almost blurs the lines between the subjective and objective. People can all have their own opinions of what's attractive... but there is definetly a base-line that holds true a vast majority of the time.

Neat topic.

intresting reading but i think beauty is totally subject to personal percerption and depends from individual to individual.

What i have found is that beauty (being attractive) acts as starting point and also as a "bond" (what i mean is acts as holding the relationship in bad times and also physical attractiveness) most females do tend to like males with good sense of humor

Interesting how you say a human (woman) would make decisions based upon animal-like instinct and beauty only. I think humans [should] make decisions based on reasoning and highly dislike applying an instinct-based generalization to human behavior. Im not saying some humans don't act like animals, but as for the vast majority... (Ive probably analyzed your research in a way you weren't expecing, srry about the tangent :) )

could have quite an effect on the further evolution of humans.

If humans evolved... :rolleyes: ;)

I think Virtual Miss Germany is pretty attractive.

baqai said:
intresting reading but i think beauty is totally subject to personal percerption and depends from individual to individual.

What i have found is that beauty (being attractive) acts as starting point and also as a "bond" (what i mean is acts as holding the relationship in bad times and also physical attractiveness) most females do tend to like males with good sense of humor

I don't disagree with you about everyone having a different preference, but my recipe for the perfect woman takes that into account, as everyone's average woman is different, which leads to everyone's perfect woman being different. (Perception of a person is really the result of everything they have experienced, which includes all the women they've seen.)

As for humour. Yeah, they like that, but it definitely is not the most important aspect.

Don't believe everything you see in surveys. A lot of the time, the survey is along the lines of "what do you look for in a man". In those cases, women give politically correct answers rather than the truth. If some woman says that humour is the most important aspect of a man, you can be sure that is just politically correct BS. What is interesting, and a lot more truthful for what women want, are results from when women are asked to describe the guy they are with for the long term.

ThePerfectCore said:
In other words:
http://www.hallsofcreation.com/valissa.html
Wome are just - God. Don't talk to me about women. I swore I'd never date 4 years ago, I'm not changing it anytime soon.

??? for the first part
as for dating... don't give up just because one (or a few) girls have hurt you. (just realised that you're 18)

Renigade said:
Interesting how you say a human (woman) would make decisions based upon animal-like instinct and beauty only. I think humans [should] make decisions based on reasoning and highly dislike applying an instinct-based generalization to human behavior. Im not saying some humans don't act like animals, but as for the vast majority... (Ive probably analyzed your research in a way you weren't expecing, srry about the tangent :) )

I definitely agree with you. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that women made decisions only from instinct. I did not mean that. I'll go correct that in my first post. What I meant was that these tendencies exist in the subconcious, and do have an effect on our lives.

That German university psychology experiment I linked to was partly to work out whether people make up impressions of another person's personality and capabilities purely from their appearance alone. I think their results was yes. And I definitely think that discrimination based upon looks exist. More attractive workers are paid more, although that is not right.

Last edited:
I was totally one of those guys who told myself I would never get married. I would buy a Ferrari, have a nice house, and live happily ever after.

Funny how things change when you get bit by the love bug... (Not the she's hot infatuation bug)

Lusankya said:
mmm *drool* Laetitia Casta

I agree she has a perfect body... but I prefer Laetitia's face over Turlingtons

me too! but then I am a Laetitia Casta fanatic, and if had her as perfect everything no one would take me seriously.

I think the only part of her face which does not fit the perfection description are her teeth. (which she has criticised herself, along with her toes.) But that makes her seem more real.

Renigade said:
I was totally one of those guys who told myself I would never get married. I would buy a Ferrari, have a nice house, and live happily ever after.

Funny how things change when you get bit by the love bug... (Not the she's hot infatuation bug)

that's great man! so you found true love and is going steady? Good for you!

ThePerfectCore: I'm worried.

for me......the perfect girl is.......

NATALIE PORTMAN *drools*

god she is soooooo perfect ( well i think so, not everyone thinks like i do )

but this is very interesting. i love learning a bit more about the human mind, and how we think. it pretty cool to see how we think and all.

Results from survey of 16~18 yr old girls:

seeing how most people who responded so far are still in their teens or early twenties, I think the results of the survey of 16~18 yr old girls are of particular interest. I've posted up the results of the survey (taken in my school 3 years ago) in the first post.

zexmarquies01 said:
for me......the perfect girl is.......

NATALIE PORTMAN *drools*

she is very very cute.

Lusankya: I still haven't worked out who the woman in your avatar is...

Last edited:
shiyan said:
to start a new thread here rather than polute those threads.

The following is what I found while researching for that presentation for Theory of Knowledge (for which I got an excellent grade for my IB).

I was involved with that program. have you graduated yet?

Yub. I graduated 2 years ago. Got 42 points out of the 45 for the IB overall.

Dropped 1 point in HL Maths, 1 in HL Chemisty, and 1 due to the D I got for my extended essay. Got 7's in HL Physics, HL Economics, SL Literature and SL Dutch.

I managed to get 57/60 for TOK, 38/40 for the essay, and 19/20 for the presentation. If it wasn't for TOK, Extended Essay + TOK would have given me just 1 point rather than 2. I never figured out why they hated my physics paper for Extended Essay. It was a experiment report on how different factors affected the performance of a model racing car.

Re: Results from survey of 16~18 yr old girls:

shiyan said:
Lusankya: I still haven't worked out who the woman in your avatar is...

I'm pretty sure it's Jewel in his avatar...

I have nothing else to add to this thread at the moment, maybe later when I know what I am talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back