• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance factor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimedog

What's more important for performance? A good gpu overclock or a good memory overclock? Reason I ask is I get a good memory overclock, but a ****ty gpu :( hopefully when I get it water cooled it will help

f00t

i found that a good memory oc is best in most cases. but a good gpu oc can also be good

Mustanley

Depends on the game or application. Games that heavily use pixel and vertex shaders get a better boost from GPU overclocking. For the rest, it's pretty much a toss-up IMO. There are definitely apps and games that benefit more from higher memory bandwidth.

pkrew

Don't know about games, but I do know the 3dmark03 likes higher core. I get about a 10pt increase for every 2 increase in core and about a 5pt increase for every 2 increase in memory. In the end it doesn't really matter as you just get the best you can and you're stuck with it.