• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Perhaps a silly question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bloh

I'd like to raise the fsb of my computer but when I go into the bios, there's no such option. =(

Is this motherboard-specific?

My mobo is ASUS A7N266-VM

Thanks

P.S. I have another question. Is heat proportional to mhz or the V.core voltage? In other words, can I have a +50mhz increase without a heat increase if it just so happens that the system is stable without the extra voltage?

Hmmm, looks like that isn't an ocing board. Just your basic steady low budget setup. if you can increase 50mhz without raising vcore, that's a plus, especially if it's stable.

It's not speed that generates heat, it's vcore. The lower the vcore, the less heat you'll have to deal with :)

Ok thanks! Right now according to cpu-z, my fsb is at 133.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=09&m=A7N266-VM

According to that site, the fss is 266/200. Does that mean it's the max? (ie. I can theoretically raise it?)

Should I use a windows program to raise it since I can't do it from bios? I just want to try it just a little bit on this old computer to see how it works. I'll probably be throwing it away when I upgrade so I don't care if I fry it.

What's a good program to use for this?

bloh said:
Ok thanks! Right now according to cpu-z, my fsb is at 133.

According to that site, the fss is 266/200. Does that mean it's the max? (ie. I can theoretically raise it?)

That just means thats the highest "official" speed they support. Yes, you can theoretically raise it(as what we all do here :)).

I'm not familiar with the board, but are there any jumpers on the motherboard that allow you to overclock? I know my old board had these since you couldn't overclock in the bios.

You might be able to overclock a bit from windows using a program called CPUcool. (I think that is the name)

You might have to look on your board and identify the PLL-IC, or the program may have your board listed. I was able to overclock a 800mhz dell with this program despite the bios having nothing but boot device options.

mhz + vcore + resistance = thermal dissipation. Whenever you raise the speed of the cpu you will get more heat output. This is just a basic diagram for you but yes mhz = heat in some long complicated way.

That mobo is used in OEM systems and does not have O/C settings in the BIOS, but it will generally O/C with software. A couple of programs to download and try are softFSB and clockgen. Overclocking tends to raise temps a little. Just raising the FSB a modest amount will not raise temps much. Increasing vcore will raise temps a bit more.

Back