• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Petite' cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pablissimo

Registered
Haven't posted on here in ages, primarily from doing that uni 'thang', so I thought I'd start a new mod. Problem is that everyone these days seems to like their giant cases with 800 drive bays and more lights than Blackpool at Christmas.

So, I ask of you all this: short of taking sheet metal and 'building' a case on my lowly student budget, are there any cheap and smallish dekstop cases that I can turn into a slimline tower-stylee one. I've been looking round but desktop cases are seeming more expensive than midis at the moment.

And I'm not too worried about the whole cooling thing, I have... plans for that area =)

Pab

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I'm currently building a LAN rig inside a 15 x 13 x 4 inch case that I bought on Newegg. It uses a Slim CD-ROM drive to save oodles of space and energy.

Can you list more specifics as to what size range you want and what processor you plan on using? The biggest limitation for small computers is the power supply. They're the chunkiest part and the smaller they come the weaker they get (wattage wise). This limits what processors you can use with a PSU under rated under 200w.

yanks111

hey, captain, what is the name of the case that you bought off of Newegg? Is it one of those IBM cases or is it one of those mini "gbox" things that come with the motherboard?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
yanks111 said:
hey, captain, what is the name of the case that you bought off of Newegg? Is it one of those IBM cases or is it one of those mini "gbox" things that come with the motherboard?
It's a Netvista case, which is a SERIOUS Do-It-Yourself job to work with. I have one for sale in the classifieds ($20).

OP
P

Pablissimo

Registered
Well, to be honest, I'm only looking into it because I kinda made a bet with a mate that I could fit my current components (2 3.5" hdds, a full-size cd-writer, a full-size Socket A board with a ... large sink on the processor, a floppy drive and the psu into a rather small space and manage to keep the heat down enough so it would at least run.

If it comes to it, I could find myself buying some alu sheet and just building the *******, but I'd like to find another option first. I know I can't make this thing tiny, there's a finite number of ways to rearrange the components I have into 'a small space' heh =))

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Pablissimo said:
Well, to be honest, I'm only looking into it because I kinda made a bet with a mate that I could fit my current components (2 3.5" hdds, a full-size cd-writer, a full-size Socket A board with a ... large sink on the processor, a floppy drive and the psu into a rather small space and manage to keep the heat down enough so it would at least run.

If it comes to it, I could find myself buying some alu sheet and just building the *******, but I'd like to find another option first. I know I can't make this thing tiny, there's a finite number of ways to rearrange the components I have into 'a small space' heh =))

I'll play with those parts in CAD and tell you my results. But essentially you won't be able to go any smaller than 15" x 13" x 6" (depending on how many AGP or PCI slots you have occupied). There's only one case I know of in that size capable of holding a full ATX board, but it has the PSU mounted over the CPU, thus limiting and hindering your cooling.
If you want anything smaller you'd have to switch to a micro ATX board, a laptop CD-ROM, and a specialized power supply.