• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phase Change vs. Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I'd like to know about the above topic in terms of cost, maintenance and performance. From what I currently know, it cost a lot to make a Pelt setup, but it is not nearly as power efficient as a phase change system, and performs about the same, compared to a boxed fridge setup like a Vapochill or Prometia.

Also, which is higher performance, the Prometia or the Vapochill PE? How about for future CPUs?

SoNgOkO

I think that Phase Change systems are more eficient and better. I am currently building a Phase change system and i didnt spend a penny. I go the compressor from a old fridge but in a very good condition. The most expensive part in my project will be the water block. I think that i will spend max about 70$ on the sistem. I expect the temperatures about -30 till -20C.

OP
Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I'd like to get a boxed fridge setup, unless I was building a pelt system.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
the prometia is the best out of the box phase cooler around. phase coolers can get far colder tempratures than any pelt setup ever could. if you plan on building it yourself iif you look around it can cost less to configure than a pelt setup but a bit more diffacult.

SoNgOkO

Warlord2 said:
phase change will get you far better temps thin any pelt will however is a pain to make if you are starting from scratch.

Hey it isnt so hard to start from scratch if u are a member of this forum and if u read the guides on the net. For example the guide from some great members of this board likessjwizard and Bowman. Their guides are THE BEST. If u read them u can 100% make a PHASE - CHANGE system.

Warlord2

haha yeah I know how to do everything, what I mean is you have to obtain curtain equipment like a nice mapp blow torch, braze rods, capillary, gauges, compressor, condensor, evaporator and thin you have to know how to put everything together with the braze rods and flare fittings etc...

with a pelt setup all you really need is a pelt, waterblock&coldplate and a good sourse of power.

litghost

ssjwizard said:
the prometia is the best out of the box phase cooler around. phase coolers can get far colder tempratures than any pelt setup ever could. if you plan on building it yourself iif you look around it can cost less to configure than a pelt setup but a bit more diffacult.

not quite, a peltier im getting has a Dt of 100 C!!!!!!!(of course the amount of cooling requiered is massive) if you to keep the hot side at 27 c the cold side would be -73c (thats a big if)

OP
Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I like all this discussion. The problem I have with Pelts is that the power supplies cost a lot, and the amount of power it takes to run a setup. You add a 226W pelt and if you leave the system on 24/7 the power adds up on the bill (esp in CA, where I am). I really am looking at a boxed phase change setup for my next machine in a couple years. How does the Prometia compare to a home made system? I have none of the tools you speak of, and my main priorities are silence and good cooling.

Warlord2

haha I forgot to mention phase change can even have a passive cooled condensor if its big enough (hopefully mine will be):D

omg I just went to get my fill hoses today and the guy said hes not even aloud to sell them to someone thats not licensed, needless to say he sold them to me anyways:D Man I swear california has to be the WORST place for dealing with phase change. Oh yea 134a freon isnt even aloud to be sold to anyone here without a license:eek: .

OP
Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Isn't the "env friendly" fluid in the newest phase change boxes? Can't you use that for your homebuilt systems? How about flourinert? Is that cheap nowadays, and could it be used for a phase change system or standard block/pump/rad setup?

Since87

litghost said:
not quite, a peltier im getting has a Dt of 100 C!!!!!!!(of course the amount of cooling requiered is massive) if you to keep the hot side at 27 c the cold side would be -73c (thats a big if)

Mind posting a link to this pelt?

Since87

litghost said:
my bad its a 87 Dt but still, http://www.tetech.com/modules/multi-stage.shtml
50 dollors for the pelt, havent gotten yet, backordered, will post temps when running

its the TE-2-(127-127)-2.5 pelt

You might want to try to cancel your order if you are thinking of using that on a CPU. The Qmax on that pelt is only 31 Watts. It could be disastrous to try to use that on a CPU. It's probably won't even provide much if any cooling on a modern GPU.

litghost

too late, saw that too

who knows, wattage is an energy unit not an energy transfer unit
most of the equation on the front page are talking about standard pelts
this is a muiltistage pelt, also the wattage may be per pelt, and there are 2 pelts in the stack
still it will make a nice start for a compact water chiller

Warlord2

omg that would be a good way to get a gfx or chipset very cold, stack a couple of those and I wanna see what will happen:eek:

btw I just fired up my phase change unit for the first time every and its getting cold=] anyone know how long it takes for frost to start forming?

OP
Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Umm, would you guys like to give me any more info about phase change before you go off on other topics? It seems that is the way to go.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
you should check out my article on the home page its last months winner its the middle one by Darcy Viohl(thats me!!) its a great how to and explination of how phase cooling works