• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phase changing commin my way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ookabooka

A nice surprise today. My mom (I'm 17, still living with my parents. . . ) was about to throw away the dehumidifier. I wasn't looking into going into phase changing, but It would be nice to have the parts on hand. I asked her why she was going to throw it away, thinking that it simply didn't work anymore or something. She told me that the coils kept freezing, no matter what. . .Needless to say I was very happy, I am about to rip the thing apart and figure out what kidna stuff it has. All i know now is that it is a R22 system, 450 PSI high side 150 low. 6oz of coolant. I think that the system is over charged or something, i thought it was supposed to be 250 high 50 low or somethign. . . Can anyone tell me anything about this? Or point me into the right direction?

aenigma

Rip it apart and build a system :)
Or just make a waterchiller.
Those ratings are the pressure at which the system was tested at.

OP
ookabooka

ookabooka

Ohh. . . . I am not too sure what I should build, I dont' want to do a water chiller, since it isn't that extreme. . . I would rather have it vapo chil. . . i think thats the word for it. Anyways, I am trying to find the horsepower rating. . . but I can't. It [Compressor] is much larger than I thought, its about 8in tall, and 6 wide.

aenigma

ookabooka said:
Ohh. . . . I am not too sure what I should build, I dont' want to do a water chiller, since it isn't that extreme. . . I would rather have it vapo chil. . . i think thats the word for it. Anyways, I am trying to find the horsepower rating. . . but I can't. It [Compressor] is much larger than I thought, its about 8in tall, and 6 wide.

I think most of em are 1/4hp
I wouldnt worry about the rating though.Although yours may be more than 1/4hp.
Good choice, direct die is much better.As long as you can find a block.Dont get a dangerden block unless you want to braze a new top on.The o-rings they use dont handle pressure when the block is cold.So when you turn the system off and it equalizes, it may leak.

I agree with Warlord2, try checking out the compressor numbers.I have never had any luck finding info about mine, but you might.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
water chillers aernt bad direct dies do get better tempratures but can be harder to setup.

aenigma

Water chillers arent good either.They are a mess, sometimes harder to setup.It is just adding another medium to remove heat.

Direct die is actually easier if you have a block.Or if your willing to braze a top on....You could also make your own block....

OP
ookabooka

ookabooka

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

Ripped the thing apart, the tag on the compressor is almost destroyed, It is made by tecumseh.
coils.JPG
LOOK AT THE AWESOME COOLING POWER!!! (that is aluminum tubing, completely frosted over, after running for 1hr.

compressor.JPG

This is the other side, showing the size of the compresssor (That is a cdrom to the left to demonstrate size)

Warlord2

man thats pretty nice, I wish I was that lucky when I got all my parts:( oh well if funner to put everything together anyways:) you may try and just stick it in from of your computer and air chill it lol.

Ocelaris

Hate to burst the bubble about Direct Die

Hey,
I don't want to be a party pooper... but the vapochills and the rest of those systems with direct die cooling use a variable speed compressor, because your computer puts out variable loads of heat. The problem with running a constant compressor all the time is that the load changes and you will get freeze up in the freon lines, and/or slugging of the freon, which has potential to kill the compressor.

I've had my experience with refrigeration, and I'd make the goal as easy as possible for yourself. Direct die requires alot of equipment and knowledge. For me, the water chiller is really the most effective use of something like that. That way you don't have to soldier, buy new R-12 refrigerant, or use propane as a substitte, vaccuum dry the lines, replace oil if you lose it, and make sure you only fill it with just the right amount of replacement refrigerant. Chances are your dehumidifyer is R-12, or R-?? the air conditioning one, I forget the ##s, it's been a while. Anyways. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

And while I'm at it, may I plug my ad? I have a water chiller for sale cheap in the DC area, home made on a cart. see a thread called project X for details. Best, Bill

aenigma

Re: Hate to burst the bubble about Direct Die

Ocelaris said:
Hey,
I don't want to be a party pooper... but the vapochills and the rest of those systems with direct die cooling use a variable speed compressor, because your computer puts out variable loads of heat. The problem with running a constant compressor all the time is that the load changes and you will get freeze up in the freon lines, and/or slugging of the freon, which has potential to kill the compressor.

I've had my experience with refrigeration, and I'd make the goal as easy as possible for yourself. Direct die requires alot of equipment and knowledge. For me, the water chiller is really the most effective use of something like that. That way you don't have to soldier, buy new R-12 refrigerant, or use propane as a substitte, vaccuum dry the lines, replace oil if you lose it, and make sure you only fill it with just the right amount of replacement refrigerant. Chances are your dehumidifyer is R-12, or R-?? the air conditioning one, I forget the ##s, it's been a while. Anyways. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

And while I'm at it, may I plug my ad? I have a water chiller for sale cheap in the DC area, home made on a cart. see a thread called project X for details. Best, Bill

:rolleyes: I was never talking about prometias or vapochills.I am talking about quality system that are DIY.It will not cause slugging, if your building it yourself you should also know how to prevent minor things like that.Subcooling is a good way to prevent liquid slugging and add performance.You didnt burst any bubble about direct die, your just plugging your chiller :p

Making a waterchiller from scratch is actually just as easy as making a direct die system.
I got the idea that he wanted to do this himself, and not just drop the evap in the water.So if he is going to the trouble of that, he might as well make it good.

He will need to buy some stuff, namely a vacuum pump and gauges.BTW who in their right mind would purposely try to obtain R12?R290 is a good refrigerant to use because it is cheap and easily obtainable.

ookabooka: You can go ahead and contact me if you do want to make a nice system, and not just drop the evap in a res. :)

ssjwizard

also i wrote a good guide on phase change systems its last months winner at the oc.com home page. myself and aenigma are pretty good pals and were here to help whenever we can. also bowman knows his stuff!.

OP
ookabooka

ookabooka

It is R22. . . I thought i said that. . . anyways. Yeah I am going to look on ebay for some gauges. I have no clue what a vacume is, or how much it costs. . . I thought that most people avoided the slugging etc by wrapping the end of the evaporator over a little bit of the condenser, the heat from the condenser would evap any liquid that was still left. . . Anyone know what size this compressor is? 1/4hp :)?

Edit: I was planning on filling it with propane, except to do that I need to get rid of all the oil and replace it, anyone know how to do this?

aenigma

A vacuum pump, it pulls all of the air out of the system and dehydrates the system by boiling off all of the water.(liquid boils at a lower temperature the lower the pressure)
Your compressor is most likely a 1/4hp.Hard to tell.

You dont have to replace the oil to use propane.

OP
ookabooka

ookabooka

I thought that R22 uses mineral and propane uses ester, or vice versa. I thought that if you ahve the incorrect oil it will react with the coolant or something and bad stuff happens. Where would I get this vacume pump? I heard it is just another compressor connected in series with the other compressor. . . What kind of performance boost will I get with a vacume pump?

Last edited:

aenigma

Uhm no.
Propane has no oil of any kind, you use whatever oil your old refrigerant used.In thbis case, mineral oil.
A vacuum pump just removes all air from the system and dehydrates.You can use an old compressor if you want.You vacuum the system before you refill it with refrigerant.You dont run it inline, and it has nothing to do with condensers :)

aenigma

Yep thats basically it in a nut shell.But you might want to top the compressor of with some mineral oil before you charge it....
I really doubt you will need to though....

ssjwizard

yes but its always good to ensure that you have sufficant oil in the compressor to keep it cool enough and all that jazz. pretty much you need to cut the lines and rebuild everything add in a set of acess valves and then you charge it up with propane or any other refridgerant that you have access to.