• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 1055t OC on a budget motherboard with no MOSFET coolers,bad idea ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you mean on the board around the pushpins?
No. I mean leave the very corners dry of TIM and use a very small dot of super glue there to keep everything tight.
I pretty much use this method on everything that you would use adhesive or thermal tape on.
Super glue isn't like thermal adhesive. You can take it back off with a little Acetone or even nail polish remover.

No. I mean leave the very corners dry of TIM and use a very small dot of super glue there to keep everything tight.
I pretty much use this method on everything that you would use adhesive or thermal tape on.
I am a big fan of hot glue but I worry it would heat to melting temp and decouple. While I am sure you would have said if this had happened, I am not sure if you have tested this with more than benching. Have you done this on a a gaming rig set vertically? Im just wondering how far I can trust the glue. Thanks

I do it on everything.
Heat has no effect on it.

Hot glue is not the same as super glue.

Some very helpful comments here, using glue seems pretty smart but I'm not sure what you mean by super glue. There are so many different types of glues in the market. Since the word super glue has no exact translation to my language, what property or ingredient should I look for when I go out to buy it ? And, just for clarity s sake, when you mean the corners do you mean the corners of the small bridge plate where we apply TIM?

Was too fast to reply, do you mean cyanoacrylate by any chance when you say super glue ?

Clean both surfaces well with isopropyl alcohol (common rubbing/sterilizing alcohol) before applying both TIM and the super glue.

I have used the superglue method with good results but 2 part arctic epoxy worked way better ( ram chips will come off the board if you try and remove them )

Ok, 1 more time, you can get Enzotech heatsinks from ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and it does not have to be Enzotech, just any premade heatsink. Is there no computer stores where you are?

As of now, it is impossible for me to shop from ebay because Paypal is restricted in Turkey. Using Turkish credit cards doesn't seem to work neither. Anyways, like i said, i already found some premade copper VGA heatsinks and slapped them on. On the superglue issue, im about to go ahead with it but the plate of the northbridge that we apply TIM to is too small, are you sure that some superglue in the corners will be enough to stabilise the heatsinks ?

Yes. I do the same thing on mosfets which are 1/4 the size.
Just be neat and precise with your TIM and glue application. Take your time.

Hey, an old Thuban!

I used to run my 960T as a hex core at around 3.6 under a 212. They're pretty solid chips at that speed. Heat was definitely my wall, and I ran a fairly open chassis with 8 fans, not including the 100CFM fan I put on the 212, or the ones on the GPU and PSU. I also had an unlocked multiplier too, though. Took a combination of the multi and FSB to really get anywhere with it.

I bring this up because another option you have (if your chip doesn't want to overclock well) is to lock one or two cores. As a quad, I got my 960T to crest 4GHz.

These were 8 hour P95 stable.

My 960T, 6 cores on high end water.

Attachments

• image_id_1461313.jpeg
    image_id_1461313.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 25
  • image_id_1745438.jpg
    image_id_1745438.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 23
Wow,these are preeety impressive results, I will come back and update on where I managed to take my 1055t.

Yes. I do the same thing on mosfets which are 1/4 the size.
Just be neat and precise with your TIM and glue application. Take your time.

That is the issue, I normally put a small bloop of TIM on the middle and let it spread with the pressure, but since I'm going to apply superglue now, should I rub it with my fingers and leave small openings for superglue in the corners ? Because i'm pretty sure if i do it my way (blop of TIM on the middle,small blops of superglue in the corners) TIM will intermingle with the superglue.

Oh,and I know this post is getting derailed more and more but my questions doesn't seem to end :). I have the option of returning my 212 Evo within 14 days after I purchase it. Other coolers that are in my price range and are available in my country are Arctic Freezer a32, 212x, BeQuiet PureRock, Scythe Katana 4,and, if i squish my wallet dry, Hyper 412S and Cooler Master MasterAir Pro3, would any of these be worth the exchange ?

I normally put a small bloop of TIM on the middle and let it spread with the pressure, but since I'm going to apply superglue now, should I rub it with my fingers and leave small openings for superglue in the corners ?
Yes. That is why I said be neat and take your time. :)

Back