• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 945 - 95 vs 125

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I've searched a bit, but decided a quick post here is a better alternative. Could someone give me some down to earth advantages and disadvantages between these two cpus.

I basically decided that I'm going to upgrade to one of these, but I'm stuck.

The motherboard I'm going with is going to be a 790fx, thats all that i know at the moment. I'm leaning towards MSI, but ASUS or GB is ok too. I'll take some hints here too if you will.

So, knowing my mobo, which of these cpus is better? And why? Of course overclocking is important to me, as is stability and heat. I'm guessing the 125W puts out more heat, but does that mean it won't OC as much on an air cooling system?

Here are the two cpus compared on AMD site:
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUSideBySide.aspx?id=588&id=534

Oh yeah, another option is to forget about the 945 and go for a 955 instead. In fact, if I see that the 95W is not the way to go, I might as well go for the 125W 955 (as opposed to the 945).

Thank you for any info..

Confused :-(

EDIT: Oh one more thing. What about the "black" edition? Is this a must? I just checked the above two cpus and neither are black edition, whereas the 955 comes as a black edition. Info pls :)

Marshmallow64

Black edition is not a must, but it sure helps in overclocking. All it is, is that it has an unlocked multiplier which makes overclocking easy.

OP
Trypt

Trypt

Hmm.. to add more confusion, I was just checking prices, and indeed the 965 comes in two flavours as well: The 125W and the 140W, with the 125W being a bit more expensive.

Furthermore, the 945 95W cpu is the same price as the 955 125W black edition! Is there any reason anyone would choose the 945 non BE 95W over the 955 BE 125W?

Still confused..

But now that I checked the prices more carefully, I think I can afford the 955 or even the 965, they are all within $20, so it just comes down to the wattage differences, and BE.

DragoXT

Well to add in some more confusion, the only C3 revision AMD chips are the 125w 965 and a 955, both BE. C3 oc's much better and has a better IMC vs the C2 Phenom's. You want one with the last two letters in the product code to be GM for the C3, GI means C2.

Since you want to overclock, the wattage diff really doesnt matter as you will be pushing them beyond the rated TDP when you oc. Usually the 125w chips that have a lower watt counterpart dont oc all that well. The Athlon X2 6000+ Windsor chip came in two wattages, 125 and 89. You didnt see many 89w chips cause it was tough to get 3ghz stock out of a chip that drew only 89w. I had a machine with the 125w and built a machine for a friend with the 89w. The ocing on both chips wasnt great as the windsor chip was pushed to the max just about, but i could get the 125w to 3.4ghz and barely got to 3.1ghz with the 89w one.

If you dont need the lower power consumption get the fastest C3 you can afford.

dillinja666

im running the c3 955 BE and am very happy with it. hit 4ghz right out of the box where my C2 955 be would barely do 3.8 I havnt been able to compare it to other AMD cpu's yet but as of right now im very satisified with it.

1S.A.H.D.

Well to add in some more confusion, the only C3 revision AMD chips are the 125w 965 and a 955, both BE. C3 oc's much better and has a better IMC vs the C2 Phenom's. You want one with the last two letters in the product code to be GM for the C3, GI means C2.

Since you want to overclock, the wattage diff really doesnt matter as you will be pushing them beyond the rated TDP when you oc. Usually the 125w chips that have a lower watt counterpart dont oc all that well. The Athlon X2 6000+ Windsor chip came in two wattages, 125 and 89. You didnt see many 89w chips cause it was tough to get 3ghz stock out of a chip that drew only 89w. I had a machine with the 125w and built a machine for a friend with the 89w. The ocing on both chips wasnt great as the windsor chip was pushed to the max just about, but i could get the 125w to 3.4ghz and barely got to 3.1ghz with the 89w one.

If you dont need the lower power consumption get the fastest C3 you can afford.

Well that is not really true anymore just got an email form AMD about the AMD 945
HDX945WFGMBOX vs the HDX945WFGIBOX

the M is a C3 REVISION
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6347 1051446251 105101317 1445932520&name=95W

Jeff