• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Philly AMD Reality Check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoGeo

Yes, it was pretty much like the Chicago event. I will point out a few things I didn't see mentioned in the other reviews. I also got to be a part of the VIP event, thanks Xing:D

The VIP event started at 7pm, a bit earlier than the official 8:30pm for the reality check event. I believe it is open to AMD distributors and other computer resale/technician employees. They have some catered food, free AMD polo shirts and AMD bags, along with a thermal management presentation which featured Opteron/Hammer information. Also, they lotteried the first 10 PIBs to just VIP ticket holders.

AMD seriously has to check there Q/A's for the Battle of the Boxes tournament. I found a few questions they marked as correct, but where in fact wrong. For instance, everyone knows that the first XP processor model was the XP 1500, not the 1800.

The face-off featured the following component list, can't remember the prices:

Common: nforce 415 mobo, 40gb hdd, case, monitor, etc

Shopping List-
XP 1800
XP 2000

onboard nforce 415 video- $0
Geforce 4 MX

128 mb ram (single or paired)
256 mb ram (single or paired)

Basically, you pick the components you want upto the $300 budget. The smart guy picked up 2x 128mb ram for the nforce's dual ddr setup, but the other guy picked just one stick of 256 :confused:

Oh, didn't get one of the XP2200 that they had, but oh well. Lots of brawling between t-shirt/hat lovers, and fun to be had for all. It is absolutely universal, the Sticker Girl is definately a babe.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
NeoGeo said:

AMD seriously has to check there Q/A's for the Battle of the Boxes tournament. I found a few questions they marked as correct, but where in fact wrong. For instance, everyone knows that the first XP processor model was the XP 1500, not the 1800.

Yes and no, depending on how you look at it. The 1500+ is the lowest speed XP (Palamino) made, but the product line was introduced with the XP1800+ chips, and went up and down the scale from there.

I got my XP1800+ at the second AMD event of the first Tour, which was the day after they officially released the Palamino (Official release Oct. 9, 2001...I got mine on the 10th).

So, technically, that answer would be correct. the XP1800+ was the first one made.

Brian

SpeeDj

The face-off featured the following component list, can't remember the prices:

Common: nforce 415 mobo, 40gb hdd, case, monitor, etc

Shopping List-
XP 2000 - 155$
XP 2200 - 183$

onboard nForce 415 video- $0
GeForce 4 MX - ?
GeForce Ti4200 - 220$

128 mb ram (single or paired) - 50+
256 mb ram (single or paired) - 120+

Basically, you pick the components you want upto the $300 budget. The smart guy picked up 2x 128mb ram for the nforce's dual ddr setup, but the other guy picked just one stick of 256 :confused: - The nForce performs better with the bandwidth across two sticks of ram

A few of those were guesstimates as I don't remember the notable being it was a 2000 and 2200

J :cool:

OP
NeoGeo

NeoGeo

I'd say prolly ~800 people, a little less than the philly zoo event last year. It was pretty cool. The guy on the mic was kinda lame, sounded like a drunk muppet :D Almost anyone who wanted a shirt got one, plus they threw out tons of those one-strap GAP looking bags, and of course AMD hats. The AMD women were all gorgeous looking. Someone actually won the $2500 contest and when the AMD rep had the winner phone his wife from onstage, she got to hear the whole crowd yell some stuff about AMD!!

Funny stuff:

--8-yr old boy entering for battle of the boxes
--8-yr old boy getting called up on stage to "dance"
--random person being called to rap on the mic
--random people asked by the AMD rep to shake it "philly style", I must say the girl that was dancing with the 2-guys knew what she doing though