• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phoenix Rocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
wow. its faster than mozilla. i like it. i just downloaded 0.4. I'll keep you updated. cool stuff.

It also has a home button. woohoo. cool stuff.

FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Unbelivably fast.
-Blocks pop ups.
-No splash screen. woohoo.

Last edited:
I know I couldnt believe it myself. It totally smokes. I don't think I've ever been this pumped over free software.

its awesome!!!! like ebola said "its like mozilla on crack!!" sure is! and i havent had ANY problems yet, where the new mozilla was bugging out every 5 seconds!

I'm lovin it. This is the first browser to threaten Opera on my box.

BTW there's real good support on the Phoenix forum pages.

I'm posting this from a MAC with IE4.5 at college and it's like walking is to driving a fast sports car.

Edit: I'm back on my own box now.

I'm not ready to set it as the system default browser yet and that's causing a few problems with getting Pegasus Mail and/or Windows to open hyperlinks in Phoenix without an error message poping up. After I click OK Phoenix opens.

Last edited:
ok so you got something a little faster...

want to put a supercharger on that?

MyIE2 is about 1/2 faster than phoenix. i ran a battery of tests using both programs about a month ago and MyIE was consistantly faster sometimes up to twice as fast.

here's the link to the DL: http://members.directvinternet.com/maxvla/myie2final.zip

i use it exclusively.

here's a pic of it in action... actually two pics... one within another. :D this was during my test with someone on another board i mentioned above.
myiepic.jpg

Is MyIE standalone or do you have to use M$IE as the installed browser base?

Edit: Yes it does.

Is it just an elaborate skinning app or does it take over most of M$IE's browser functions?

Last edited:
yes but myie handles tabs like ***, i don't see it being any faster showing websites, and myIE is bloated like s***

Last edited:
I took extra efforts to IEradicate it from my system just for those very reasons. I have no intention of putting it back.

I've checked resource usage while Opera, Mozilla and Phoenix were running and Phoenix and Mozillz use 35% less than Opera did. Then Phoenox runs better than Mozilla.

Winner so far = Phoenix.
I still like Opera but Phoenix is comming up from second place fast.

Johnny Knoxville said:

can't you see the address bar in pheonix or in myie crap?

thats weird the first time i ran Phoenix there was no address bar then after reading this post i ran it again, and then it appeared:bang head

Johnny Knoxville said:
yes but myie handles tabs like ***, i don't see it being any faster showing websites, and myIE is bloated like s***
how do you mean it handles tabs poorly?

i prefer pages not popping up taking focus. theres several things you can do with a right click on the tab and if you want to close a tab... just double click on it and it's gone. can you explain?

btw. myie is not bloated. the entire program is 500k.

not sure why people would hate microsoft so much that they would take the time to figure out how to take off IE. i just don't use it.
dunno.gif

Maxvla said:
btw. myie is not bloated. the entire program is 500k.

Maybe the MyIE shell/overlay is light but notthat IE browser engine base. That's ~30Mb of code I don't need running all the time in the background whether I turn it on or not.

It was easy to completely uninstall because Shane Brooks of litepc wrote two freeware apps to do so with great ease and precision. 98lite and/or IEracicator.

It was not spite but just wanting the option of being able to do a lot more win98se OS configuration than M$ would allow. Where there is a will, there's often a way.

I can't wait until he releases xp/w2k lite. :D

Audioaficionado said:

Maybe the MyIE shell/overlay is light but notthat IE browser engine base. That's ~30Mb of code I don't need running all the time in the background whether I turn it on or not.

It was easy to completely uninstall because Shane Brooks of litepc wrote two freeware apps to do so with great ease and precision. 98lite and/or IEracicator.

It was not spite but just wanting the option of being able to do a lot more win98se OS configuration than M$ would allow. Where there is a will, there's often a way.

I can't wait until he releases xp/w2k lite. :D
30mb running all the time??? :confused:

when i look at the task manager MyIE2 uses about 32mb of ram while running. (try opening several IE windows and you will be way above that)

when it closes all 32mb goes back to system storage.

as far as i am concerned win98se and older (including winME) are truly outdated and have absolutely no use anymore. it used to be the gamer's os, but xp is so much better.

Maxvla said:

when i look at the task manager MyIE2 uses about 32mb of ram while running. (try opening several IE windows and you will be way above that)

try opening phoenix and it will be only 5mb

Back