• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Physical security for home server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbstern

Registered
I'm just finishing up a home server/NAS in a mini-tower case. It's in my home office. Because of it's size, in a burglary, it'd an attractive "smash and grab" target, and I don't want all of my data walking off (even if I have backups).

The box is on a metal shelf that is attached to the legs of a desk. I figure attaching the server to that desk will make it far less easy to walk off with. I'm going to bolt the case to the shelf with bolts and nylock nuts (with the nuts on the inside of the case), which means the case would have be opened to get a wrench on the nuts to unbolt it from the bench.

That still leaves me needing to keep the case lid securely on, but still accessible to me (with modest security tools or a locking mechanism) in case of service issues. Any suggestions?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I would suggest a small rack-mount solution with a keyed door.

OP
rbstern

rbstern

Registered
ATM, appreciate the input, but a rack is out of the question for this location. Maybe the next house. I'm only in this house for another year or two (after 24 years here).