• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PhysX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Sometime in the future I plan to sell both of my GTX 970's and get a 980Ti or maybe the Pascal flagship card. Anyway, I noticed how in the SLI menu, you can set which card you wanted dedicated to PhysX. My 4790k, GTX 970 1/2, or auto. Would I see any performance gain by slotting in an old GT 630 and dedicating that to PhysX instead of using my main card for that? (Once I upgrade to the single card that is)

I am not meaning now. When I upgrade to a single card. Wouldn't dedicating a GT 630 I have laying around to PhsyX leave the 980Ti with a tad bit more room to render whatever?

In all honesty, you are better off sticking with a single card.

Nowadays PhysX is an afterthought for almost all developers, if implemented it is usually minimal. Even a 100mHz overclock on your primary gpu would easily outdo the addition of a dedicated PhysX gpu. Along with the additional heat and load on your PSU a dedicated PhysX card is a thing of the past.

Maybe, but I doubt it would be noticeable

It might depend on the game. I saw an article written by a guy who found that dedicating one of his old, original Titans to PhysX gave him better framerates in Metro:LL than having them SLI'ed.

But isn't PhysX basically dead at this point anyway?

I was recently shocked to see a blocky zombie apocalyptic free-to-play steam game that my nephew plays using PhysX, but considering the nature of the physics interactions in the game I don't really see any point to it.
For Call of Duty: Ghosts, the only PhysX effect I ever really noticed was the dog's hair, or maybe even just its tail.
Is Nvidia paying developers to use PhysX? Or otherwise providing them w/some sort of material incentive to use it?
It would just seem to me if it's even difficult to get devs to support Crossfire/SLI in a consolified world then how are you going to get them to support PhysX?

We discussed this in another thread couple months ago if memory serves. I tried the same, using my old 660Ti, only thing it increased was driver issues. Setting PhysX to CPU instead of auto netted more and smoother FPS though (although only works in some setups), try it instead.

Back