• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking up an SSD for MB with SATA II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leito

Registered
Hi. I am slowly looking for some ssd for my PC. As You can see it is not very new computer. It has only SATA II and i don't wanna buy any PCIE controller.

I am looking for a 240gb ssd and i have seen samsung evo 850 250gb, which is great, has 250gb instead of 240 (a little, but most of ssd has 240gb), 5 years warranty and the price of course. In Poland i can find it for 379PLN. I have also seen some other 240gb ssd like ADATA PREMIER PRO SP550 240GB for 289PLN. It is less expensive and there is a question. Is it worth to buy Samsung? I mean yes, it is faster, but on SATA 3. I do have only sata 2 - am I able to see any difference? I don't wanna buy an ssd to use it in the future, because maybe i will change my MB and CPU after 5 years, and in 2021 i will propably buy 1tb ssd for this price. :attn:

Please tell me, what do You think about ADATA's or Crucials? Also in terms of reliability. There are also some "silicon power" ssd, what company will be the best for a budget ssd?

Regards,
Leito:salute:

Id honestly look at something like the OCZ Trion 150 or Crucial BX200. They are a bit slower than that of the EVO and other performance drives, but still way WAY faster than a HDD. They are just a lot cheaper to own, the Trion and Crucial than the EVO. If you don't plan on upgrading, I wouldn't bother with a fast drive like the EVO. ADATA drives and Crucial are fine reliability wise.

The Adata will work just fine. Might not be top of the line but still has a 3 year warranty AFIK and seems to be just as reliable as any other on the market. 100 bucks is still 100 bucks and you're not going to break any speed records with it.
I think you should just save the $$ you would spend on the SSD and get a new PC sooner than 5 years from now. The SSD will be an improvement but not really that much over the HDD you have in there now. Unless your HDD is having issues then I'd just let it be.

If You want me to be honnest - i can't see a difference between HDD and SSHD... It was a waste of money. For everyone - save those money and even after a month - buy an ssd. HDD for storage and ssd for OS and most important apps. SSHD is a waste of money.

Anyway, so my thinking is correct. It is not important if it's going to be super fast ssd or just budget ssd - sata II is limiting me and i won't see a difference, correct?

Offtopic:

I have been upgrading my PC since i bought it something like a 6 or 7 years ago?
First i had an athlon II x2 250 and 2gb ddr3 1333Mhz ram on it. It was working on cheap 500W Logic PSU which came with the case. Firstly i have changed the PSU, then upgraded the RAM to 8gb. And in this state it was working for a lot of time. Lately i have changed the case to a bigger one and HDD, because I had some bad sectors on my old barracuda. I have also decided to switch to a better CPU. I have found used 955BE and bought it. Stock AMD cooler is a tragedy, i have changed it very soon to silentium pc fortis 3, added a heatsink on VRM section on my MB and started to OC :D. I have stable 3,8Ghz and i am happy from it. I know, that this CPU is not very good, especially today... I helped to upgrade my friends PC. I found for him I5 3rd generation, 4 core 4 thread at 3Ghz and in simple and free benchmart found on internet Mine OCed Phenom scored 5050 points and his non OCed I5 scored 6250 points :D. But still in things that I do i can see, that i am using in the most 50-70% of my CPU. I think, that it can still be enaugh for me for a couple of years. In my opinion there are 2 things left to upgrade in this rig. Add an SSD and switch a GPU to something like GTX960. I know, that i am getting closer and closer to the limits of upgrading potential of this rig, but i am sure, that thanks to my upgrades that I've made i can still play some games and after upgrading GPU i will be able to play latest games on medium/high details.

Regards,
Leito.

sata II is limiting me and i won't see a difference, correct?

Yes, the SSD will be faster than your HDD but only running about 2/3 the speed that it can and not too much faster than the HDD is now. Maybe put that money toward a GTX 970 instead of a 960???

... sata II is limiting me and i won't see a difference, correct?
You will see a big difference. Compared to an HDD an SSD has practically no latency. No time is spent waiting for the read/write head to move to the desired track. No time is spent waiting for the right sector to come around. There is some latency in SSDs but it will be orders of magnitude less than an HDD.

Peak data throughput will be less, but that is only part of the benefit. I put an SSD in a Thinkpad T500 (my first SSD in fact) and it breathed new life into that machine. (The chipset supposedly supports SATA III but the BIOS only SATA II.)

You will notice a difference with an SSD...it will be day and night.

I bought my first SSD 7 years ago, put it in a SATA II machine...was much faster.

You won't get the peak throughout of the SSD, but it will be faster...especially seek times...it's almost non-existent on a SSD.

You can get a good 250 GB SSD now for about $65 on Amazon.

You can also pick up a PCI SATA III card on Amazon for about $25 (assuming you have the PCI express slot open.)

I installed a SSD in a SATA II with windows 10 the only thing I noticed was the boot time from the load screen was 17.19 seconds and starting up some of the utility's in windows. I would hold off save up for a better Graphics card.

Last edited:
It is not important if it's going to be super fast ssd or just budget ssd - sata II is limiting me and i won't see a difference, correct?

I meant by this a difference between ssds on sata 2 and 3. I know for sure that it will be a difference between hdd and ssd. Ok so I'll pick up some little cheaper ssd and start to collect the money for gpu. I hope that when new gen of amd and nvidia gpus will come out, actual generation prices will drop down.

Regards,
Leito.

little cheaper ssd sounds like a good plan, you will not have an performance loss with SATA II.

Back