• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

picture of seti telescope "big picture"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I just found this... probably been seen before but its cool :) i already knew what it looked like of course as many others do too :)

ARECIBO_1280.jpg

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
where is that on the map

anyone got lat and lon on it

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
KLowD9x said:
Looks to me like, the person on OC with a DS3 is mocking the less fortunate DUNetworkers

No one forced you to click on this link :rollseyes: So don't be saying now.

Stryfe

katelin said:
Cool picture! Hey, I didn't know the forum let you attach a pic that big...

You can't upload a picture that big to the forum. You have to link it from an outside source. If you have webspace with your ISP you can just upload an image to that and then link to it in a post.

Tecumseh

This is way cool, but didn't we used to have a max size for
pictures posted to the forum? ....Just wondering...

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
The maximum size you can upload to the forum is 300*300 pixeles, but if you use the img tags you can upload a picture to another site and just refer it to the forums with the img-/img set.....

ookabooka

awesome, you should check out the GBT at greenbank. I don't think it does any seti work (seti prolly backpacks there though) but it is the largest radio telescope in the northern hemisphere i believe. Aerecibo is kinda cheating anyways, the dish is stuck in the ground, can only track objects for short periods of time by moving the front end(place where the radio waves are collected)

edit: picture (hosted from my sparc workstation). The truck is actually closer to the camera, so the scope is larger than it appears.

http://ookabooka.kicks-***.net:81/GBT.jpg

edit2: pic number two, better size comparison.
http://ookabooka.kicks-***.net:81/GBT2.jpg

Last edited:

ookabooka

oh man, don't get me started on "Contact". First off she worked at the VLA (very large array) in arizona i believe. You have to understand that in radio astronomy you are picking up very faint radio signals, there is no way she would be next to them with the radio transciever, that would kill it. laptop? no way, they don't even allow regular cars within miles of it, because the sparks from the plugs generate too much interference. Plus there are no canyons near the VLA, its all very flat. </rant>

edit: funny fact about aerociebo, when you are on the front end doing some maitenece or something and have to go to the bathroom, have no fear. You can go number 1 right off the edge, because it will evaporate before hitting the wire mesh on the ground.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Don't get me started either. I about died when I first saw the film and she was listening for signals with headphones - and then it comes in like some weird noise - jeez I guess that was the insert to help the RA ignorant from falling asleep.