• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Piggy back Deltas on a thermo engine. Interesting results!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slain

The results of my lastest meddling.
test bed:-

athlon axia 1GHz @1.38 Ghz indicated voltage 1.86 volts
[email protected]
Ambient temp 24C (amazing for the UK)

First I tried my Delta FFB8012 80mm 67 cfm
After 15 mins of seti I had a reading of 47C

Next I used my Delta AFB6012 38 cfm
After 15 mins of seti 45C

Hmmm Lets see what happens if you put the 80mm ontop of the 60mm
10 mins, a roll of double sided tape and some cardboard later (yes I did watch Blue Peter) I was ready to go.

After 15 mins of Seti I had a reading of 36C !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
*WOOOT* 9C temp reduction, only 12C above ambient achieved with a £15 themoengine sink.
My averaged fan speed for the 60mm delta had gone up from 6900 rpm to 8150 rpm !!!!
Maybe this is a way to overcome the poor performance of axial fans blowing against the back pressure created by the heatsink.

[edit] The no load temps are 24c ambient 24c CPU awesome :)

OP
Slain

Slain

*&^&%$$£^%$ CPU will still not go any higher than 1400 MHZ
1400 MHZ fine 1410 MHz fails miserably
OMG I might have to go back to watercooling at this rate!!!!!!!

Pitspawn

I think this delta generation of fans is getting silly. If anyone is going to use a fan as noisy as a delta, they should seriously think about going for watercooling instead.

How much is a good watercooling system?
And I fear condensation, If I dont have a peltier, what implications will this have?

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
I just tried it on my FOP32 with a standard 80mm fan. Same results but on a small scale. Increase of RPM on CPU fan of about 500, and decrease of about 1C in temp. Not a lot more noise either.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
If you can find two fans that revolve opposite of one another while delivering the same flow direction, they work even better. I paired up two 80mm run-of-the-mill fans that way and the improvement was significant. So was the noise as it went from mostly the sound of air rushing to a whine like the Deltas with the de-spiraling vanes.

Hoot

W

William

Hoot (May 29, 2001 08:48 a.m.):
If you can find two fans that revolve opposite of one another while delivering the same flow direction, they work even better. I paired up two 80mm run-of-the-mill fans that way and the improvement was significant. So was the noise as it went from mostly the sound of air rushing to a whine like the Deltas with the de-spiraling vanes.

Hoot

what about taping two YS tech 60mm fans toghether so you don't have the deadzone? Have you tried this, I am curious about how this performs.

OP
Slain

Slain

Just to add this is not the first time I have piggy backed fans, before I had pretty average results. It seems to me the fixed vanes on the 80mm add considerably to the cooling, the 60mm really seems to chugg on the straightened airflow.
Plus I think the thermoengine is suited to this because of its central core, I must be getting extra cooling due to the air blast hitting the die mount (where the L1 bridges are)
Looked at cluboverclocker web site today, their results show a t-bird 1.33Ghz @ 1.8v cooled by an OCZ gladiator + delta at 42C. I am still feeling smug :cool: that I can run a 1.38 Ghz @ 1.86 V at 36C with a thermoengine.
*head swells and explodes* hehehe