• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PII 266Mhz - possible to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hckymeyer

Registered
My girlfriend has a PII - 266Mhz CPU in an old dell computer. She has 192MB of EDO Ram. (I think that the right name....anyways it's the really old stuff, no SDRAM) It has the stock HSF and I was wondering if it would be safe heat wise to overclock this. I can change the FSB from 66 to 100. The case is not a tower...it's one of the flat desktop ones.

JDXNC

Have you tried setting it to 100 FSB? It *might* work, but I think thats a pretty big jump... won't hurt to try. Might be just as easy to pick up a used PII 400 or 450.

OCed_5150

Sure as hell can.

Try this link first and choose the Intel CPU Pentium II 266.

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

Might need a good overclocking board that's all. But SLOT 1 boards are getting very rare. Im sure there are some used ones still around like the Abit BH6 / BX6. Use PC 133 SDRAM and a Large Slot 1 type Heatsink. Just have to be careful of the low PCI dividers.

Last edited:

batboy

Senior Moment
!00 FSB is probably asking too much. Those L2 cache of the P-II hampered overclocking a little, plus you only have stock cooling, but what do you have to lose? I ran a P-II 233 at 300 MHz for a long time. Try changing the multiplier, you might get lucky. Some of the early P-II CPUs still had unlocked multipliers.

Mr. $T$

batboy said:
Gotta love this quote by Tom.

"the overclocking scene will mostly be dead by Fall 1999"

ha :rolleyes: WOW he is a stinking genius, overclocking will be around as long as a processor still has a clockcycle. . . . ;)

quegyboe

There is a very good chance that those CPU's are unlocked, which means that if you can, you could just up the multi and get more speed!