• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 1000ebmhz OVER CLOCKING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

takiwa

well, I'm not sure if that mobo has the softmenu BIOS or not, but if it does, the easiest way to overclock it would be to set the CPU speed on user define, and adjust your FSB accordingly...you may have to do a volt mod to be able to hit the higher FSB's, though

Xaeryan

To overclock that processor + board combination, press Delete while booting to get into the BIOS... You will end up in the Main Menu of the BIOS. Now navigate to the "Advanced" menu. There are a few fields you will need to modify:

1. CPU Internal Frequency <- Set this to manual, we'll manage it ourselves.
2. CPU Frequency Multiple <- starting somewhere around the Pentium II, Intel locked these, so you can't change this.
3. FSB:SDRAM:pCI Freq. Ratio <- this should read 133:133:33 or 133:100:33 depending on your type of RAM (PC 133 vs. PC 100)
4. FSB/SDRAM/PCI Freq. (MHz) <- this is the biggie. This guy adjusts the frontside bus as well as memory and PCI bus speeds. You'll want to up these only a little bit (2-3 MHz) at a time, then make sure your processor runs stable at the new speed. If it runs stable fine. If not, it may help to increase the voltage slightly (see below)
5.) CPU VCore <- this controls the voltage given to your processor. when overclocking, it often helps to up the voltage a bit for increased stability. Never go crazy here, though, as this is where you can kill your CPU (although I've had it cranked and had no problems - I think the problem arises when you don't have adequate cooling). For starters, only bump it up .05 V at a time when you encounter instability.

OK, now I have some questions for you... check your BIOS. What is the CPU VCore when you first look (before you change anything)? Or even better, what is the model of your 1.0 GHz? SL4mF? SL52R?
Also, I see that you have 288 megs of RAM? Is that in 256 and 32 MB sticks? If so, I'd advise you to remove the 32MB. The extra memory is too insignificant, and it simply puts a strain on the CUSL2s (already finicky) memory controller. Also, we may be able to adjust your RAM timings to increase your speed. What kind of RAM are you using?
Also, you didn't mention your cooling... what heatsink/fan are you using? Stock? If you plan on overclocking, I'd advise a high performance cooler (see my signature for a great one).
Finally, what BIOS revision do you have? (If you don't know, it should be displayed almost immediately after you turn the computer on. Look carefully (and quickly)).
I'll try and help you as best as I can.

OP
C

cyberbod

ram Speed IS 133 on both mobo is using the via chip set On buttom of cpu says Thunderbird cpu on start says pIII 1000eb not sure and i can't get to the multipy option its greyed out on bios
Xaeryan said:
To overclock that processor + board combination, press Delete while booting to get into the BIOS... You will end up in the Main Menu of the BIOS. Now navigate to the "Advanced" menu. There are a few fields you will need to modify:

1. CPU Internal Frequency <- Set this to manual, we'll manage it ourselves.
2. CPU Frequency Multiple <- starting somewhere around the Pentium II, Intel locked these, so you can't change this.
3. FSB:SDRAM:pCI Freq. Ratio <- this should read 133:133:33 or 133:100:33 depending on your type of RAM (PC 133 vs. PC 100)
4. FSB/SDRAM/PCI Freq. (MHz) <- this is the biggie. This guy adjusts the frontside bus as well as memory and PCI bus speeds. You'll want to up these only a little bit (2-3 MHz) at a time, then make sure your processor runs stable at the new speed. If it runs stable fine. If not, it may help to increase the voltage slightly (see below)
5.) CPU VCore <- this controls the voltage given to your processor. when overclocking, it often helps to up the voltage a bit for increased stability. Never go crazy here, though, as this is where you can kill your CPU (although I've had it cranked and had no problems - I think the problem arises when you don't have adequate cooling). For starters, only bump it up .05 V at a time when you encounter instability.

OK, now I have some questions for you... check your BIOS. What is the CPU VCore when you first look (before you change anything)? Or even better, what is the model of your 1.0 GHz? SL4mF? SL52R?
Also, I see that you have 288 megs of RAM? Is that in 256 and 32 MB sticks? If so, I'd advise you to remove the 32MB. The extra memory is too insignificant, and it simply puts a strain on the CUSL2s (already finicky) memory controller. Also, we may be able to adjust your RAM timings to increase your speed. What kind of RAM are you using?
Also, you didn't mention your cooling... what heatsink/fan are you using? Stock? If you plan on overclocking, I'd advise a high performance cooler (see my signature for a great one).
Finally, what BIOS revision do you have? (If you don't know, it should be displayed almost immediately after you turn the computer on. Look carefully (and quickly)).
I'll try and help you as best as I can.

Xaeryan

cyberbod said:
mobo is using the via chip set
I think I lost you there... the CUSL2 uses an Intel chipset
On buttom of cpu says Thunderbird cpu on start says pIII 1000eb not sure
Are you sure it's a CUSL2 and Pentium III ? Because Thunderbird is an AMD CPU... I'm not quite sure where you read Thunderbird.
and i can't get to the multipy option its greyed out on bios
That's simply because the multiplier cannot be changed on an Intel CPU (and if it turns out you're using an AMD processor and some motherboard besides the CUSL2, AMD's require a little trick before unlocking their multipliers.)

I'm still unclear as to what motherboard and CPU you are using. Also, what does the VCore say?

mikester

xaeryan,

got any reccomendations on a QUIET hsf cooler?? i have a thermoengine right now with a quiet YSTECH fan on it.

ill be gettin a 1000eb soon, to go with my cusl2 and micron cas3 ram (hits some decent FSBs).

anyways, i cant really decide on a cooler. also, what BIOS version do you reccommend?

BadThad

WOW....he has the Thunderbird P3! :D

- You CANNOT change the multiplier on a P3 thus it WILL be grayed out.
- The only way to OC a P3 is by increasing the FSB.
- The P31000EB is NOT a good overclocking chip...I have 3 of them. You will squeeze a little out of it, but don't expect much without some SERIOUS core voltage increases.:

Xaeryan

BadThad: I do have to disagree with that... I have a SL4MF (cC0 stepping) that does 1162 stable. I have two SL52Rs (cD0 stepping) that will both do 1200 MHz stable. With my RAM set to CAS 3, they'll do 1250 (well, at least the one I'm using right now) - but it's faster @ 1200 with CAS 2 settings. That may not sound like alot, but remember, that's a 25% overclock!

mikester - well, I can't say that my HSF is quiet - even the quietest of the Deltas howl pretty loud. I haven't tested many others, but the ThermalRight SK-6 heatsink works wonders for me, and all the reviews I've seen of it are positive. You just have to find a quiet fan - I had a Sunon 23 CFM that was pretty quiet... I'm sure your YSTECH is pretty quiet, you could even use that.
As for BIOS, I've been using the final version of 1009... it's a tweaked version, to allow you to force certain settings when overclocking... If you wanna read about it, go here

oh yeah, and try to get the cD0 stepping 1.0GHz EB - model number SL52R - great overclocker for me so far - I haven't even tapped it's potential fully yet, but I don't know if my PCI cards and hard drive is up to the task of doing 41+ PCI clock speeds.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I have two CDO SL5FQ 1.75V P3's. I believe its from the last batch of P3 .18 micron chips. I was able to hit 155 fsb at 1.85V. I have a gig of ram too so there's probably a few things holding me back (IHS). I'm sure with some tweaking (removing the IHS) they could hit 160 fsb.

BadThad

Xaeryan said:
BadThad: I do have to disagree with that... I have a SL4MF (cC0 stepping) that does 1162 stable. I have two SL52Rs (cD0 stepping) that will both do 1200 MHz stable. With my RAM set to CAS 3, they'll do 1250 (well, at least the one I'm using right now) - but it's faster @ 1200 with CAS 2 settings. That may not sound like alot, but remember, that's a 25% overclock!

At what voltage?

Lucky You! :)

Xaeryan

BadThad: the one I'm running does 1200 at 1.90 (max available is 2.1), the other one requires 2.0. This one actually seemed to run fine at 1.85, but a few crashes that I couldn't determince the cause of led me to up the voltage as a "just-in-case" measure.

cack01: I like the Radeon alot, the only complaint I have is that some older games don't run so good on it (it was primarily designed for state of the art games). Other than that, it's great, but mine seems to be a poor overclocker compared to other people's that I see at www.rage3d.com.

Idle temps read from MotherBoard Monitor are 30 C. Full load... lemme get back to ya on that one, it's been a while since I tested temperatures...

cack01

thanks Xaeryan I was just wondering.. I know I don't know what your load temps are, but the idle seems pretty good. Does that delta make you wana rip your hair out. Before I went to water I was getting idle at around 35-38 and my load was always 45+ I would get as high as 52 when it was hot in my room. My case would just radiate heat from it, like a mini Sun.

Xaeryan

OK, full load maxs out at 41 C (this is overclocked to 1200 don't forget) and that's with the room at 23 C (72F). When the room gets hot, as yours does, it won't go anywhere over 45. This Delta is loud, but I got so used to it that it doesn't bother me anymore. You realize how loud it is everytime you turn the computer on, or shut it off and hear silence - but once it's on for a while you'll forget it's even there. If noise is your concern, I'd get the Delta 30 cfm, and maybe a Sunon 23 cfm just in case... They're cheap (14 and 10 respectively) so you might as well.

Oh, and what kinda temps do you get with that watercooling setup... I was thinking of trying water out. Any recommendations? Do you like the Blizzard kit? Thanks.

cack01

Depending on where i place my radiator i can go from 20-28 idle.
I can get 20 if I put the radiator outside my case, and also have a house fan on low blow air on it. Load is always in the low-mid 30's.
If you ever go water do make sure that you put the water thought cpu1 and not #2 you will just get better cooling that way.

The blizzard is ok. There is actually a video review of it somewhere online. Sorry I could find where. Although the blizzard is fine, today overclockers.com had a nice review/preview of a new water kit ( I think you can only preorder it). It can be used for PIII's It looks a lot better quality than the blizzard too. Your temps for air look really good, and trust me I know how much heat 1.85V can put out on those duals.
If your having stability problems, go for water, but if you fine right now, I would not go spend $200+ on a blizzard or other kit. P.S. I'll keep looking for the video review.

BadThad

Xaeryan said:
BadThad: the one I'm running does 1200 at 1.90 (max available is 2.1), the other one requires 2.0. This one actually seemed to run fine at 1.85, but a few crashes that I couldn't determince the cause of led me to up the voltage as a "just-in-case" measure.

Like I said, pretty serious voltage, lol. I was never willing to take my cumines past 1.75-1.80v....that's just me. I know lots of people like you who put the cranks to 'em, that's cool man. :) Get all you can out of that cpu, the P3's are great cpu's. I run one at 1.75v [email protected] (140fsb) on a CUBX-E and it cranks out the SETI units in only 5:20 avg. My next bus choice is 150 and it simply won't post at that no matter the voltage. :( My other two are slight oc's at default voltage (1.65v).

The P3 lives!

OP
C

cyberbod

PII 1ghzeb on cusl2 mobo

i have 256 X 2 = 512megs ram @ 133 VID geforce 3 ti200 128ddr
80gig max 20gig max 20 gig max
for motherboard i have A Cusl2-c what it says on motherboard but on bios its cusl2

I just wanted to know if i have too over clock manualy or do it by bios i it should be the intel chip set i believe i just need a mod setting for bios setup if i can from someone who ever reads this..
reply... i seem can't to over clock the sucker...

Xaeryan

well, from your specs, I don't see why you can't overclock. The CUSL2-C is almost identical to the CUSL2 (the CUSL2-C doesn't come with onboard video). You should be able to overclock by using the technique I wrote somewhere up above. I don't understand why you can't overclock, do you mean it won't let you change the settings? You don't need a "mod" for the BIOS to overclock it.

deez

Re: PII 1ghzeb on cusl2 mobo

cyberbod said:

I just wanted to know if i have too over clock manualy or do it by bios i it should be the intel chip set i believe i just need a mod setting for bios setup if i can from someone who ever reads this..
reply... i seem can't to over clock the sucker...

look here http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/tweak/i815twken.htm for a tweaked bios. You should still be able to adjust FSB through the bios currently though. This will just keep everything at max performance levels it will not help you overclock better.