• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 500 w/ Ti200 = overkill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
freddiedaman said:

It's more like:

"- OMG my new vid.card is fast, I need a new CPU" and then:
"- Jeez my new CPU rocks! I need to get DDR and a killer vid.card"

And so on and so on:rolleyes:

/freddie

That is too true! It's funny because when I first started with my system it was with a Duron 800. Then I wanted a little more framerate so I put in an XP 1800+ expecting to get a hefty bump in Frame rate.

To my dismay I didn't get much more of a bump because my video card, well, lets just say its frame rate challanged ;)

So now here I am hunting for the $75.00 8500 (proving pretty hard to find) so that I can see some real action.

But the Duron 800 and the VE seemed to be a decent team for less then $100.00 combined. Put that with a $52.00 MotherBoard and some RAM (sure I went nuts on the RAM but you don't have too) and you got a pretty decent system for less then $250.00 to $300.00 depending if you already had the HDD or Case.

That was my initial decision but look at me now. Going to sleep at night and dreaming that some rich guy say's to me

"hey, I found this Nvidia thing with 4600 on the side and it looked pretty so I bought it. But now I got a new paper weight so you can have it if you want".

;)

i know what you guys mean- I had a C300A @ 540 with a voodoo 3500 card. When I changed out the CPU with a C566 @ 975, I got hardly any increase in FPS at all- the card was already pushed to the limit.

There's a middle ground in there, where the CPU and vid card perfectly complement each other, each pushed to it's limit but no farther. I wait till I'm at that break point to upgrade, I'm a cheap *******:)

I'm using a p3 500mhz right now with a tnt2 and from what i've seen I think a gf2mx would be about right for the price/performance ratio. Of course I'm not sure how the performance would compare to a voodoo3, but there probably wouldn't be a very big gain. I get around 20-30 fps in UT with my tnt2, but the framerate drops pretty bad when a lot of bullets and bodies start flying around. I would say that at the very least an upgrade to either a gf2mx or ti would stabilize the framerate quite a bit and a little performance gain. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the gf2ti would get you pretty close to the upper framerate limit of this processor, keeping low cost in mind

Back