• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 850 @ 1.03G and MBM4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillysNut

Senior Jeep Nut
List:

Finally changed the clip on my copper base heat sink and I reached an error free Gig last night!!! YaHoo! Orig clip was not applying enough pressure to transfer heat properly...

So...I'm running 25/35C (Idle/Load) using Seti, Folding and 3DMark01 to heat up the processor. When running Seti@Home, I'm seeing occasional spikes in CPU temp upwards of 50C. The spike is for one sampling period and at the next sample, the CPU always drops back to 35-40C.
Looks like this...35...35....35...50....35...35...35...50...35...etc

Is this normal? Does the processor really warm up during certain calculations and then drop back down or should I go w/ the average (35C)??? If I do get the occasional spike and not a sustained 50c reading, should I be worried? Thanks in advance.
-matteo

Soyo SY6BA+IV
PIII 850 CuMine @ 1.03G (118 FSB/8.5x)
128Meg Avant PC133 (222)
3D Prophet II MX (190/205)
Maxtor 40Gig (Hates OC'in)
48x CD-ROM

It's normal to see MBM report CPU temps that change from second to second. Even when your processor temperature "should" stay steady, it changes by 1C or 2C all the time.

It would be lovely to have a PIIIE that never spiked above 40C, but I doubt I'll ever have one. Quick jumps to 50C are OK. Above 50C is where "I wish I had a Retail Boxed P3E" looms large, because you can say "whaaa" to the RMA department at Intel.

Back