• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Piledriver FX-6300 on Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In that pic you're feeding warm air from the GPU to CPU cooler.

You need to spin that cpu cooler around so it's blowing towards the back of the case.

Next you need to put a 120mm fan back there expelling warm air out.

Unblock those pci slots so that Gpu can breathe.

Maybe with that new cooler and a pair of fans in push/pull config it might help.
You don't get the whole picture. When side is mounted hot air from GPU is diverted off from CPU by an extra plate. GPU is fed from side intake... and there's more. Trust me, it's fine.

Seeing as how the only exhaust in your case is above the CPU, its ALL going to go up there eventually... I would point that CPU cooler out the rear as well and add a fan back there too.

Or "if there is more" show us so we can actually make informed decisions to help you. :)

Seeing as how the only exhaust in your case is above the CPU, its ALL going to go up there eventually... I would point that CPU cooler out the rear as well and add a fan back there too.

Or "if there is more" show us so we can actually make informed decisions to help you. :)
So you don't trust me then :) If you insist (attachment). I was talking about the bulkhead (brown).

Dude, I'm an avia engineer. I see air and I can make it flow the way I want :D

Attachments

• case_cooling.png
    case_cooling.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 804
That covers the exhaust, most of the heat of the card, but not the ambient heat off the back of it.

Thanks for the picture.. but note it wasn't an issue of trust, but lack of information given at the get go that prompted the request. ;)

That covers the exhaust, most of the heat of the card, but not the ambient heat off the back of it.

Thanks for the picture.. but note it wasn't an issue of trust, but lack of information given at the get go that prompted the request. ;)
I know where you're getting at ('need info'). Perhaps I should ask: is the cooler X capable of coping with my FX-6300 OC at close to perfect case airflow.

It doesn't. The bulkhead runs only along the length of the GPU. Perhaps I shouldn't name it 'a bulkhead' then but rather 'a plate'. And no, I haven't isolated the whole mass of hot air from the GPU from CPU. Just the majority. Yet that is. I might go for another deflector or a completely new GPU cooling as the stock one misbehaves. But again, nothing I won't cope with with ease.

Last edited:
Do you really think the stock one is misbehaving or suffocating on it's own exhaust. Those cards expel the hot air into the case not out the back.
That cooler should get you amild OC as long as it has access to " lots" of cool air. I sse you're trying to guide your airflow but there's not nearly enough IMO

Do you really think the stock one is misbehaving or suffocating on it's own exhaust. Those cards expel the hot air into the case not out the back.
That cooler should get you amild OC as long as it has access to " lots" of cool air. I sse you're trying to guide your airflow but there's not nearly enough IMO
I meant a mechanical noise. Sometimes at least one of the fans is hizzling/buzzing and it won't stop until one of those RPM alterations. But that's another story.

It's impossible that it ingests its own hot exhaust air in my setup.

Okay what outside help do you think you still need??

...I see no sense in going back and forth any longer about air flow since you 'know' you have that covered. So heat is not an issue as it is a condition of no advice wanted or needed related to air flow and temps.

So what else could we assist you with? You have a pretty hefty power consumer of a cpu mounted on what the majority of us would not buy to push the PEE out of our 6 and 8 Core FX processors with most of us pushing that hard on our systems are using DIY water cooling. You have the cooling air management issue handled as you say so no asssistance we can pro-offer in that regard.

So these were the three actual questions you asked in post #1.
Questions:
1. What did I do wrong up to this point? > Think now with all we know that there is nothing wrong.
2. How should I proceed further? > More or less however you wish to go until you reach a level no longer stable for at least 2 hours of P95 Blend mode. With temps that remain in reason
3. Multiplier OC is much easier obviously. Are there any benefits to CPU Bus frequency / NB OC with Piledriver CPUs? In day to day use there is not much difference in one of those buss speeds you ask about if they are in the range of 2400Mhz. That is have the CPU_NB, HT Link Speed around 2400Mhz with the ram runnning at its' rated speed and timings.

There has been a theory often true for certain configurations that said using a combination of FSB clocking along with multiplier adjusting, 'could' result in a slightly greater cpu speed (at Max cpu overclock) without an increase in voltage to the cpu. This is only verifiable by trial and error for each system combination at the user level.

Then many of us use the FSB increase with a lowering of the cpu multiplier to maintain stable cpu speed BUT overclock the ram since raising FSB raises ram speed. Here again it is trial and error at the specific users location since how far ram might overclock is variable.

That about covers it. You have your air issues handled which have to include cpu cooling. Everything else that is adjustable is system specific. Good luck and have some happy computering.
RGone...

Last edited:
...I see no sense in going back and forth any longer about air flow since you 'know' you have that covered. So heat is not an issue as it is a condition of no advice wanted or needed related to air flow and temps.
I don't need any further help with OC. Well, maybe except this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...he-point-of-synthetic-heat-virus-stress-tests
I just moved to handling temps.

Actually I was ~mostly~ wrong about the bulkhead to isolate hot GPU air. The bulkhead did work but only in certain conditions i.e. not at full CPU fan RPM. Once it was reaching 80+% of RPM the air passed around the bulkhead and back down to CPU cooler fan. So I use a duct to feed the CPU cooler fan from the bottom-front of my case.

At 25 deg C ambient temp, 66 deg C max temp in stress here's how temps decreased for me (still the Auras cheapo cooler):
- with the bulkhead - by only ~2-3 deg C
- with the duct - by as much as 5 deg C!

It gave me 61 deg C max temp which is equal to max temp of the new cooler I've just bought - the Silentium PC Ferris. Ducts are the way to go!
Then I took the 61 deg C with Silentium and kicked it down to 56-57 deg C by replacing the poor GPU cooler with my DIY GPU cooler with a chimney. I consider the solution simple and effective so I'll post some details on that in a separate thread.

Please don't close the thread just yet. I promise I won't bump it with any minor stuff and that I'll post what appears to be OT in separate thread (I think I should have posted everything regarding the case setup in a separate thread, shouldn't I?).

And thank you for supplementing the info with 'Multiplier vs CPU Bus frequency / NB OC'!

Last edited:
As relates that other thread you opened, I "load" my system down using P95 Blend mode and see if I have failures because no speed in my system is stock where the parts are supposed to function.

AMD when testing each cpu for what it is to be sold as be it lesser clocked cpu or a higher clocked cpu of the same series...test them under a temp load. I believe it only logical that we test to a temperature as well. Or test that we have overclocked and remained under a specific temp.

Plus my video editting program is fully capable of using ALL 8 cores of my FX-8350 at 4.8Ghz and will load each core to 100% so I certainly had rather know my system will pass load testing at least equal to my expected daily load when I am video editting. It is tough enough to add titles, sound and cut and paste images into a video and then have my 'render' fail because my system is not stable under a load that I know is obtainable with my software.
RGone...

Hi again!
Thanks to you I've been enjoying ArmA 3 at pretty high quality settings and ~40 FPS for over 100 hours now. Thanks!
It would be grand if you could assist me a little more with honing my current settings further.

Screenshots (BIOS, CPU-Z/memory):
http://1drv.ms/1psEgdB
I've organized them into descriptive folders. Square brackets in my posts will indicate a folder name on OneDrive.

After the last year's struggles I've settled for 4.8GHz [2014_final]. Notably this config doesn't touch NorthBridge Volt Control.
As for RAM config it seems 1866 MHz was unstable for me because I havent retained a profile with such settings. Here are my last notes on memory tweaking:
It looks like it won't go anywhere near 1700 at 1.65V even with the default lose timings. Then I tried 9-9-9 timings with 1620 at ~1.6V that has been working for me so far. It failed. The memory is really touchy anywhere 1600 already.

The only 9-9-9 @ 1.65 set that let me (merely) boot to windows without the '4096 hardware reserved' was 1600 (I had to step down with the CPU Bus a bit).
So:
1600 9-9-9 @ 1.65V
Hardly an improvement over:
1620 11-11-11 @ 1.55-1.6V
in my opinion.

Later I've modified the side of my PC case to force some airflow onto the back of the CPU socket (the socket temp is the first limit I reach). This brought down the socket temp from 73 deg C to 68 deg C. I don'te hit the limit even on days with 30+ deg C outside. Just for the heck of it I've tried 5GHz OC [2015_blindshot_basedon_2014_final] with voltages being just my wild guess. I've used it for just a half an hour and I didn't get any crashes in that time.

What next?
I'd like to tweak the base 4.8GHz [2014_final] profile. It seems that whatever I touch (RAM config, CPU NorthBridge Freq. + HT Link) at this point causes my system to go unstable, apart from CPU clock.
For the following reasons:
- CPU clock of 5GHz probably gives marginal performance gains compared to my current 4.8GHz
- CPU Frequency (FSB) doesn't seem stable above 240 MHz on my system
- AFAIK there's no point in pursuing higher CPU NorthBridge Freq. + HT Link frequencies (correct)
I'd like to focus on finalizing tweaking of:
- the voltages
- memory frequency and timings

A note on memory XMP:
My mobo doesn't support XMP, if that's relevant.

Attachments

• WP_20150321_006.jpg
    WP_20150321_006.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
I also had issue with trying to push FSB to 240 in order to get CPU-NB to 2400, since CPU-NB has max multipler of 10 (11x is incorrect/wrong in bios).
I eventually was successful by increasing the northridge voltage and the cpu-nb voltage. Although my normal max settings of CPU and RAM caused instability with the high FSB and CPU-NB. So I settled with FSB at 234 and CPU-NB at 2340.

I was able to get FSB to 245 or higher (can't remember exactly) but it required lower settings for everything else in order to be stable. So it was not worth it.

With the very best cooling setup and a cool ambient room temperature I believe 5ghz, CPU-NB 2400 and FSB 240 is possible but not worth the extra hassle.
For now I wait until 2016 for AMD Zen chips.

For reference here is where my setup is now and completely stable.

I have 212 evo cooler(air)
cheap 80mm fan blowing towards VRM and northbridge heatsinks

CPU at 4.68ghz
FSB at 234mhz
HT at 2800
CPU-NB at 2340
Ram at 2184 (ram is normally 2133 cl9)

Back