• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIO DMA problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I've done quite a bit of work lately on an old MSI K7T266 (AMD) motherboard. Somewhere along the line Win2K decided that the CD-R and DVD-R are PIO instead of DMA. I've looked around Device Manager and sure enough, they're PIO. I likely installed new 4in1 drivers so that sure could have something to do with it.

Any idea how I can get them back to DMA?

Unistall them ( device mangler ). Then reboot or scan for new hardware. You can test the drivers then since you will have to reinstall them. Someone said that you will have problems if you remove an IDE channel with the OS hdd on it. I havent tried it so Im not really sure. Might want to move drives around if needed, just to be safe.

Just go to Device Manager, right click the IDE Controller, Properties, Advanced Settings tab and you can set it to "DMA if available." You will need to reboot to apply the settings.

The above will apply for some instances where XP has throttled the DMA mode, but 2000 doesn't have that "feature."

Thanks, I didnt know that. I thought it was like that on all NT technology ( New Technology technology, thats too funny, sorry )

Xaotic said:
Just go to Device Manager, right click the IDE Controller, Properties, Advanced Settings tab and you can set it to "DMA if available." You will need to reboot to apply the settings.

The above will apply for some instances where XP has throttled the DMA mode, but 2000 doesn't have that "feature."

The option is for DMA if available. It just doesn't use it. I can tell because, first, it shows what the last usage was. Second, the read and burn buffer (Nero) go up and down like crazy. That never happens with DMA.

I guess I uninstall and see what happens. They're both on the same channel and the OS is on the other. I don't think you can remove just the secondary IDE driver though. I think the main driver has to be removed and that takes primary and secondary with it. Rebooting we will go.

Back