• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pioneer DVD-106S, Help please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyle1745

Registered
I just purchased a Pioneer DVD-106S, and the drive is quiet, plays and rips DVD's just fine....

BUT, it seems to have a problem with normal CDR's. I have tried about 3 different brands and it will play some, but not as well as it should. Then others it will not play at all. It will show the directories, but if you go to play/copy a divx it will not.

Is this a common problem with this drive? Everyone seemed to recommend it.

I had hoped to use it as my primary drive, but with the amount of CDR's I use I do not think it will be possible.

Are others having this problem? Is there a better DVD drive that will read CDR's?

I have checked the firmware and it is the latest.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Kyle

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
I've got the same drive, and it reads everything fine.

How long have you had the drive ? You might be able to send it back under warrenty.

OP
kyle1745

kyle1745

Registered
I just got the drive, and it reads DVD's and store baught CD's fine. Its jus burnt cdr's.

Have you tried copying an entire CD from a cdr to your HD? This is where i get errors. I have read that most DVD drives have a hard time with CDR's.

Kyle

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
kyle1745 said:
I just got the drive, and it reads DVD's and store baught CD's fine. Its jus burnt cdr's.

Have you tried copying an entire CD from a cdr to your HD? This is where i get errors. I have read that most DVD drives have a hard time with CDR's.

Kyle

I've done that several times, I use CDR's for backups not had any problems.

OP
kyle1745

kyle1745

Registered
Ok, had a firend test this also on his it will not work. This drive will not properly read CDR's. Try running Nero CD speed. This drive will not even start the test on a CDR.

I took the drive back and bout a Asus DVD-E616 and it works great.

Kyle