• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Perhaps a bit off topic but:
1) I use Ting as my phone carrier. They like to use TMobile towers but they also offer Verizon. I know 'cause that's what I got. For my Mom, Wife and I, we pay $30/mth for unlimited talk and text. $5/Gb data. My Mom has an old flip phone which I limit to talk only as she would not like to text at all nor know what to do with data.

2) I just bought another Pixel 5. While not a Pixel 7/7 Pro, I can say that the ease of use is excellent. My old Pixel 5 had battery swell (Which made repair easy). I started up the new one, swapped the SIM and connected the USB C Male-Male cable. All of my data and apps came over. All of my WiFi SSID/Passwords came over. All of my texts. All of my everything pictures etc. I've just been very happy with the Pixel experience as a whole.

When my Pixel 5 no longer keeps up, I'll upgrade but for now, it gives me directions when out of town. Gives me Yelp reviews in that "out of town". What ever I need is happening fast enough for me.

So all of that is to say that I'm sure you'll be happy with the Pixel 7.

Now that is something I don't like but who has a solid phone with a 3.5mm jack? No one. I use my adaptor to plug into my older DeWalt work place radio. Otherwise I have bluetooth ear buds but I rarely use them.

I find BT Pixel Buds to be stellar.
And I don't doubt it. I've had some great BT buds and cans in the past - even cheap ones.

My issue is that I actively use 4-5 sets of buds. I have the set in my car, the set in my work truck, the set in my jacket, the set in my backpack...you get the idea. Trying to keep that many "active" headsets charged just becomes a chore.

I'm impulsive and like being able to grab the nearest set and toss on an audiobook or Twitch stream without having to worry about battery levels.

You can't do that with ONE set of buds? I mean, I have some mid-level JBL's and they last several hours by themselves.... the case can charge them like 3/4 times so they can go for days without the chassis being charged.

A certain someone is laughing at me. *Glares*

I'll explain.

If a certain set of earbuds manufactured by JBL called A are left in my car...Let's call them A.

And I have a certain set of earbuds manufactured by Sony left in my fleet truck...Let's call them ABSOLUTE TRASH.

Then a certain manager tells me to check muletape on boxes around 495 - What. Do. I. Do. What Do I Do?

I suffer in silence!

So about a week or so in with this thing. Got the D-brand case and skin on and I really dig it. No way to take pics though lol. It doesn't have much of a lip for the camera, but the skin covers the metal part of the camera itself providing some protection and a cool appearance. It is much stiffer, easier to hold and feels more protective than the caseology, though I hopefully won't put it to the test too often. I also ordered a magnetic ring stand thing and charger for entirely too much money :shrug: this free phone is turning out to be expensive. With the less than outstanding (it's completely reasonable but the 5a had amazing battery life, I could charge it in the evening, use it in bed for an hour or two, spend a few more hours on it throughout the day, and still have plenty of juice in the evening) battery, I feel more inclined to take advantage of the wireless charging and the magnet is just cool.

So it does not have nearly as good of battery life as my 5a. I feel like the size of my 3a was about right to hold, this is getting tough but I found myself often wanting a telephoto camera, so we'll see if it's worth it. Overall it's a nice experience, not dramatically better than the 5a or even the 3a but works just fine. I haven't had enough time to play with the camera though my first attempt to remove a person from a photo looked awful, so I'm not sure if the hyped AI features are worth it or not.

I guess right now I would give it an unenthusiastic "cool" rating. Better than "meh" but I won't have any regrets giving it back if something falls through with the trade in credits (other than all the money I wasted on accessories).

I am clumsy and I also do things like motorcycle and rock climbing so the risk of higher impact is there. Hopefully I like the dbrand because it was freaking expensive.

Does anyone have experience using a ring or pop socket like device? I was thinking of either getting one of the magnetic wireless charging compatible ones (again freaking expensive), or maybe just putting the ring below where the wireless charger goes, since I mostly hold the phone by the bottm.
I already dropped Pixel 7 (fell out of my unzippered jacket pocket) on the asphalt driveway but the $5 leChivée case did its job and it survived just fine. It works with my wireless charger fine, but it has no ring or pop socket. I have no luck with those tempered glass screen protectors, so I just use a soft plastic one to protect against scratches. Had the same on on the LG for 5 years with zero scratches.

Pixel 7 Case.jpg

Had some fun with my daughter using the photo edit features to remove photo bombers from their family photo at Disneyworld with the Magic Kingdom castle in the background. Easily got rid of maybe a dozen people walking next to and behind them. Nice feature. Also deblurred a zoom photo of my collie taken with the old LG G6 and then used the Dynamic and Enhance functions to brighten it up a bit. I'm not a "phone guy" but is seems OK to me.

I already dropped Pixel 7 (fell out of my unzippered jacket pocket) on the asphalt driveway but the $5 leChivée case did its job and it survived just fine. It works with my wireless charger fine, but it has no ring or pop socket. I have no luck with those tempered glass screen protectors, so I just use a soft plastic one to protect against scratches. Had the same on on the LG for 5 years with zero scratches.

View attachment 361167

Had some fun with my daughter using the photo edit features to remove photo bombers from their family photo at Disneyworld with the Magic Kingdom castle in the background. Easily got rid of maybe a dozen people walking next to and behind them. Nice feature. Also deblurred a zoom photo of my collie taken with the old LG G6 and then used the Dynamic and Enhance functions to brighten it up a bit. I'm not a "phone guy" but is seems OK to me.
Yeah "Magic Eraser" is great for removing my SIL from all photo's past and present...😀

Guys, I'm heading to the US in a few weeks, as google don't sell their phones in Brazil, I'm thinking about getting one. Is it still a good choice? I'm using a galaxy note 9 for the last 4,5 years, I really need an upgrade. Also I'm thinking on getting the standard pixel the non pro variant as I don't think the U$ 300 difference worth it.
Can you please share your thoughts? Is pixel 7 still good? Should I take the standard s22 for similar price? Last question, is google store the way to go, or is there some other store with some better deals? Thx guys.

I shoulda asked here first! Screen protectors, does anyone use them? Backstory- my wife requested that I get a screen protector for her Pixel 7pro, as she had scratched it up a bit. I bought virtually the first screen protector listed on Amazon: ArmorSuit (2 Pack MilitaryShield Screen Protector designed for Google Pixel 7 Pro
I put one on my 7pro as well. They fit accurately, easy to install, BUT...fingerprints and swipe marks don't wipe off nearly as easy as from the glass...? My wife doesn't care, but I'm not impressed.

Recommendations?

I shoulda asked here first! Screen protectors, does anyone use them? Backstory- my wife requested that I get a screen protector for her Pixel 7pro, as she had scratched it up a bit. I bought virtually the first screen protector listed on Amazon: ArmorSuit (2 Pack MilitaryShield Screen Protector designed for Google Pixel 7 Pro
I put one on my 7pro as well. They fit accurately, easy to install, BUT...fingerprints and swipe marks don't wipe off nearly as easy as from the glass...? My wife doesn't care, but I'm not impressed.

Recommendations?
This one works fine for me.

AACL [4-Pack] Pixel 7 Screen Protector

I tried a glass one but couldn't get it to install properly.

Recommendations?
When I bought my phone I bought one of the uv dome ones that was highly recommended. But 6mo later I've not done it

A bunch of people recommended them though so it can handle the curve of the screen

I like the hybrid ones like DaveB linked. I had one kit from amFilm but they would slide around (gradually but over a month or so it would move a couple mm which was enough to cause it the peel back because of the case). I'm currently using an IQShield for a couple weeks without difficulty, but it's a little more difficult to install as it doesn't have any kind of guide.

Updated my Pixel 7 to Android 14 last week without any issues. I haven't really checked into any of the improvements, just using it normally.

Back