• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Placing HDD verticaly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

powergi

Registered
I just bought an Antec P182 and I will have to place my 3 Hard Drives verticaly because of the layout of the case. I read somewhere that placing hard drives vertically really diminish their lifetime and is a really bad thing to do. Im a bit scared about that. Is this true?

I have a p180 case with 4 hard drives on the bottom (in that vertical shelf thing) they have been there over 2 years and no isssues.

The vast majority of our NAS boxes use vertical mounted hard drives.

Actually, it seems that a large majority of high volume storage systems mount them that way, so I would really doubt it would be bad for the drive unless some very solid numbers were given.

As long as they are secure and do not move while running they can be in any position you want.

Yea moving any drive while is running is a bad idea. There was a lot of news about the xbox 360 destroying discs because people would move the system while it was running. I'm sure you could scratch one of the platters in the hard drive by doing that.

I thought I heard that a freely hung drive operated faster? like suspending it on string...? anyway, I think sideways should be fine.

I thought I heard that a freely hung drive operated faster? like suspending it on string...? anyway, I think sideways should be fine.

LOL, only if you suspend it by the power cable.

how would it matter how it is mounted?

lol, some people really like to make things up and tell people.

the harddrive doesnt know how it is mounted,

Hard drives are afraid of heights.

QFT

My hdds had no problem surving 1 foot drops.. but once I threw them off of buildings they hated it...

how would it matter how it is mounted?

lol, some people really like to make things up and tell people.

the harddrive doesnt know how it is mounted,

Not entirely true. Gravity effects the heads.. so technically it should help the HDD to be mounted vertically.

Optical drives on the other hand are not as appreciative of vertical mounting.
Many will survive it (you can tell by ejecting the tray and looking at it.. does it have lips???)

I prefer vertical mounting and think that horizontal mounting reduces the life spoan... so it DOES matterhow you mount it :)

No empirical data however...

Back