• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plan Complete ... Expertise Needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuthulas

Registered
Hey guys,

I've been reading these forums for some time and am finally putting some of my research to use. I'm building two computers, one for myself and one for my wife. (We bought two back in the day when I used to be a regular EQ addict and she couldn't pry me away from the PC)

Anyhow, my current PC's are ancient and now is the time I am putting my research to work and buying the parts to commence building.

WHAT ADVICE I WANT:
-Where can I save money without losing performance?
-Where can I increase performance without increasing money?
-What components am I getting that you think I will dislike/hate/abhor/have problems with?

GOALS/RESTRICTIONS:
- I am an Intel ONLY guy. Wife works there ... so in some VERY small way it comes back to me.
- The PC's will PRIMARILY be used for gaming.
- The PC's will also be used as a small TV in my office while I'm gaming on the other. I specifically want the ATI 9700 pro AIW to double up as a TV tuner, video input so I have the option to watch TV on one PC and game on the other.
- I want the PC’s to be fairly quiet!
- YES, I am going to OVERCLOCK!
- The rigs aren't exactly identical, but to make this easier I will only post information about the main rig I plan on building. The differences between the main and the secondarly are few: SATA drives in RAID 0 on main with a 120G WD 8mb HD for media, just a 120G WD 8mb HD on the other.

ALREADY PURCHASED:
- NEC/Mitsubishi DP2070SB-BK 22 Inch - $536 shipped
- WD 120G SE HD w/8MB cache - $88 after rebates
- Lite-On 52/24/52 CDRW - $15 after rebate

THE PLAN SO FAR:
- ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W - $120
- Microsoft Windows XP Pro Upgrade Version Academic - $82
- ASUS P4P800 DELUXE Retail - $144.80
- Intel Pentium 4, 2.6c - $229
- KINGSTON HyperX 512MB DDR434 PC3500 - $122 (Will buy 2 and put in 1G total)
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum - $163
- Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB HD - $149 (Will buy 2 and put in RAID 0)
- PANASONIC 1.44 MB DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE - $7
- LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16X DVD ROM Drive - $33
- ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 PRO 128MB AGP - $345
- Logitech Cordless MX Duo - $85
- Logitech's THX certified Z560 4.1 - $140

THE PLAN ON QUIET COOLING
- Zalman CNPS7000-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler - $42
- Zalman ZM-MFC1 6-Channel Fan Controller Panel - $28
- Zalman ZM-F1 80mm Fan with Quiet Mode Adapter - $5 each (5 for the case)

As you can see ... I think I've done my research considering I've never built from scratch before and I'm trying to save as much money as I can at the high end without sacrificing much performance.

I most definately want to keep my PC's QUIET without watercooling. The only thing I think I have not listed was thermal grease and cables. Those will be easy to acquire.

Please, any and all of your opinions are welcome as my goal is to cut the cost of this down without affecting performance. Unfortunately I have expensive tastes and I'm afraid there is no way I can cut the cost to the level I desire ... lets see if your expertise or experience in finding deals can help!

Cuthulas
[email protected]

woods

The intel only part just added about $200us that could be put elsware. As far as cooling goes, I have heard that the cu/aluminum mix works better than the all cu. just what I heard. The specs look good other wise to me. Actually they look good now.:D The chip you are looking at has hyper threading does it not?

OP
C

Cuthulas

Registered
Oh ...

Oh ... and am I going to need to buy 2 copies of XP pro or am I able/allowed to use one copy on two PC's? A friend of mine was saying that he uses Windows 2000 because it doesn't have the pain of having to call MS every time you change hardware to get a validation code or some such thing...

OP
C

Cuthulas

Registered
Yeah, the 2.6c chip is the one with HT and at 800mhz fsb.

I read the opposite about the cu/aluminum mix vs. the plain cu. i'll check it out though since the aluminum is lighter and cheaper.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Well, it looks to me like you know what you want, but here are some cost savings and/or functional improvements you might consider:

1) 2.4C processor-If you are going to OC, the 2.4C has a lot of potential and saves you some money. I've seen some reach 300fsb (3.6GHz) around here, but an easy 3.2GHz is pretty much insured.

2) You might consider the Buffalo PC3200 or 3700 ram that Newegg has. I believe they both carry 5ns Winbond chips, the same as the Kingston. The Kingston is good, but pricey. Some users here already have the Buffalo and it is doing very well on i865/875 platforms. Feel free to use the search function to find the threads detailing the success.

3) As far as the noise goes, the 80mm fans in the case you are considering are becomming passe. Consider the Lite-On FS-020 case from Newegg. It accomodates two 120mm fans behind the cpu--the real answer. You can then use two 60-80cfm 120mm fans (blowing out) to generate massive cooling with less noise than significantly less capable 80mm models. It may run the risk of being ugly, but I don't know what looks best until I know what works best.

The Lite-On case is sold with no power supply. Your choice of power supply is fine, I would recommend either the 430 True Power or the 530 Fortron that Newegg has. I'm a Fortron devotee, but there's no arguing the True Power will get the job done as well.

4) Skip the fan cotroller. Buy fans that spin at the correct rate for your application while running WFO. This will minimize the load on the power supply, and save you money at the same time.

fiji

woods said:
The intel only part just added about $200us that could be put elsware. As far as cooling goes, I have heard that the cu/aluminum mix works better than the all cu. just what I heard. The specs look good other wise to me. Actually they look good now.:D The chip you are looking at has hyper threading does it not?

i second the part he said, about the $200 you could easily shave off more than 200 if you went amd with a comprable set-up

but hey if your set on intel- thats cool too

now about the zalman they are good for cooling at like stock temps and all but if your planning to oc you might want to get something with a little more cooling power

so i would go with just some quiet fans witha beefy heatsink if i were you

the pc i just made has 6 fans, and is quieter than my gateway

i bought 5 coolermaster 26db fans with 32cfm airflow and a enermax adjustable one for my slk-800 its very quiet also and gives me a max cpu temp of 39c
if i were you i would reccomend getting some big heatsinks instead of the zalmans if your going to oc, sure the zalmans are dead silent but theyre not going to give you the same cooling as a slk-800/ax-7

but at any rate that will be a sweet setup no matter what you choose

sorry if i repeated myself a bunch im kinda spacin out when im typing this

i enjoy my sparkle psu its great, also you dont really need a fan controller unless your getting like 80mm deltas lol

but i just wanna say that you can get a steal on a amd system, the one in my sig cost me less than $800

also, im pretty sure you can put winxp that you bought on as many of your systems as you want, as long as it s your system
dont quote me on that though, im no lawyer

Last edited:

Ugmore Baggage

Re: Oh ...

Cuthulas said:
Oh ... and am I going to need to buy 2 copies of XP pro or am I able/allowed to use one copy on two PC's? A friend of mine was saying that he uses Windows 2000 because it doesn't have the pain of having to call MS every time you change hardware to get a validation code or some such thing...

You can buy an additional license for less than the full CD version costs. The only difference is you'll only have the one disk. They even send you a certificate of authenticity and the serial number on a teensie peice of foil.

Using any Windows license on more than one computer is against the law. That's all I'll say about that.

OP
C

Cuthulas

Registered
THANKS!

C
Thanks a TON for all your advice guys. I did decide to change a few things from your feedback:

1. I changed from a 2.6 to a 2.4C since they both OC just fine and I don't see the point in paying $50 more for the 2.6C.

2, I changed my ram from the Kingston 3700 to Buffalo 3200. AZN and a couple others seem to have great success with the Buffalo ram and I hope to as well ... I saved $200.00 overall by doing this.

3. I decided to go with a regular Audigy 2. I see no reason to have the platinum at this time. None at all ... just 40-50 dollars more for a headphone jack. (Well ... that's all I would use foreseeably.)

4. I am buying 2 copies of the Windows XP Pro academic. I wanna stay "legit", I am a student in a University, and I have more than one copy of Windows 98SE to upgrade.

5. Everything else is pretty much the same. I didn't change the cooling plan as I like the idea of quiet cooling and the Zalman 7000 may be huge, but its got great reviews even for silent cooling.

Thanks again for all your time and feedback. The O/C forums are great and I'm sure I will be checking back a TON for tips on OC'ing and the latest and greatest hardware!

Cuth

AlucardCasull

another awesome, quiet cooler you might want to check out is the Vantec Aeroflow, my friend has it on his overclocked amd, (which as everyone knows runs much warmer than Intel's) and he runs plenty cool, and its very very silent.

FrozenFears

I also think you would be really happy with a heatsink from thermalright, good stuff, and you can pick your fan/CFM/dbA to match your personal tastes. I have an SLK-900u w/92mm 53CFM enermax fan, and can barely hear it. The TT smart fan II is a great fan as well.

Zatoichi

Registered
ALREADY PURCHASED:

- WD 120G SE HD w/8MB cache - $88 after rebates
- Lite-On 52/24/52 CDRW - $15 after rebate

THE PLAN SO FAR:
-Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB HD - $149 (Will buy 2 and put in RAID 0)

ok not bad setup there but where are you getting these great prices? And is the store your buying from (if online) have a good reputation in standing by their product?

I'm interested in the serial drive, cdrw and wd 120g drive. Was planning on building something with those drives in mind.

I posted my plans under blueprint for comp in this hardware section.

Main comp seems its gonna kick some ***.

Hookem

I also recommend using the Thermalright SLK-900 for your heat sink with a 92m/m fan...If you plan on overclocking with air-cooling it is really hard to beat this combination...To get a good overclock with a 80m/m will undoubtly be much louder versus any 92m/m solution, when comparing CFM and dB-A...:D...I agree with Larva on buying case fans that meet your noise or lack of and running them WFO...The 24CFM 21dB-A Pansonic Panflo's are great for "silent" case fans... :)