• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning a water cooled Haswell build, seeking advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Startup amps are .360A according to manufacturer. I'm just wanting to make sure I didn't calculate wrong. I used the calculator you linked awhile back. 30.24 watts startup for 7 AP-15s , 7.9watts running wats for 8 AP-15s.

Reason I'm asking all this is I made a mistake back then and have 8 AP-15s running one channel of my fan controller. I didn't factor startup power which is 34 watts for 8 fans.

So.... big question is, as long as I don't have fans turned up 100% on start up it should be fine since they won't draw the full rated current upon start up. Correct?

Yep, since your startup voltage is less than 12vdc. I think some fancy controllers make it 12vdc to start then drop down to the normal setting.

And your math is correct. You 'could' run 7-8 fans on one knob. I wouldn't.

If the OP has two 480 rads, put 4 fans on one knob per rad, and use the other two knobs to control the rest in a logical way. IMHO.

So I've been planning on building a new system this year and an looking at a pretty similar system to what Farwalker2u is planning. I have one difference in that I am also planning on running water for everything possible (mosfet, chipset, and maybe even RAM).

Just wondering if you would recommend any major difference in loop setup with the added blocks?

Today is June 4th.
Haswell has arrived. The new generation of nVidia graphics cards are available too.

I have begun the process of ordering the parts for my new build. I am not an artist, so this won't be a show piece. It should be a highly functional system though.

The basics of the computer are:
CPU: i7-4770K
MB: ASUS Z87-PRO LGA
Grpahics: two EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper in dual SLI
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Corsair 900D
SeaSonic X-1250 80 PLUS GOLD

The water cooling components:
Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump
- Optional Tank Res
- MCP35X-HS Pump Heatsink
- Yate Loon 80mm x 15mm Fan
Coolgate Quad 120mm Ultimate Heat Exchanger Radiator (CG480) x 2
Koolance CPU-380I Intel Liquid Cooling CPU Block
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - Clear
Koolance Coolant Temperature Sensor Plug x 2
Bitspower Matte Black Sealing Plug For ID 1/2" Tube x 2
IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip x 2
1/2" ID UV Reactive Leakproof T Fitting x 2
Phobya Reusable 3/4" OD Hose Clamp - Black x 22
Gentle Typhoon fans AP-45 (in pull) x 8
Sunbeam PL-RS-6 Rheosmart 6 Fan Controller 5.25" Bay 6 Channel 30W Fan Controller Panel

After reading 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform
by hokiealumnus
http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell
I hope that two 480 radiators will be sufficient to cool the two 780s and the 4770K.

Last edited:
Today is June 4th.
Haswell has arrived. The new generation of nVidia graphics cards are available too.

I have begun the process of ordering the parts for my new build. I am not an artist, so this won't be a show piece. It should be a highly functional system though.

The basics of the computer are:
CPU: i7-4770K
MB: ASUS Z87-PRO LGA
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Corsair 900D
SeaSonic X-1250 80 PLUS GOLD

The water cooling components:
Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump
- Optional Tank Res
- MCP35X-HS Pump Heatsink
- Yate Loon 80mm x 25mm Fan
Coolgate Quad 120mm Ultimate Heat Exchanger Radiator (CG480) x 2
Koolance CPU-380I Intel Liquid Cooling CPU Block
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - Clear
Koolance Coolant Temperature Sensor Plug x 2
Bitspower Matte Black Sealing Plug For ID 1/2" Tube x 2
IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip x 2
1/2" ID UV Reactive Leakproof T Fitting x 2
Phobya Reusable 3/4" OD Hose Clamp - Black x 22
Gentle Typhoon fans AP-45 (in pull) x 8
Sunbeam PL-RS-6 Rheosmart 6 Fan Controller 5.25" Bay 6 Channel 30W Fan Controller Panel

After reading 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform
by hokiealumnus
http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell
I hope that two 480 radiators will be sufficient to cool the two 780s and the 4770K.

I hope you take your time and do it justice as you have a lot of really premium pieces here.

The 2 480s are more than enough to cool it all and just about right for OCing it all.

I can't wait to see this build and hope to see some pics. :salute:

2) Is it prudent to have two temperature sensors, a flow sensors, and a pressure sensor in the system?
Thanks in advance for constructive criticism and advice.

I just completed my 1st custom loop a few months back, and while i would some times like to know my water temp i haven't found it necessary to use any of those sensors. I run my pumps low, my temps are low, guess i win!

ALSO i have the mcp35x2 and i love it... its more pump then i will EVER need, and will last for ever due to being able to run it at extremely low RPM's

Incase you didnt know... you will not be able to control your pump from that fan controller... but you can control it form this one. www.frozencpu.com/products/11616/bus-232/Zalman_ZM-MFC1_Combo_5-Channel_PWM_3-Pin_Fan_Controller_-_Black_.html?tl=g47c17s240

awesomehandle31

Incase you didnt know... you will not be able to control your pump from that fan controller... but you can control it form this one. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...?tl=g47c17s240
I planned to control the pump by plugging it into the motherboard. I wanted the fan controller with at least 30W per channel for the 12 or 13 fans I will be using. I'm using the Gentle Typhoon AP-45 which has a 0.53A starting current; so I can put 4 fans on a channel.

Sensors are silly. Many new folks get them and play with them. After a while, on the next rebuild folks realize they do nothing but have too many wires and restrict flow.

Let the new guy play.

Conumdrum

Sensors are silly. Many new folks get them and play with them. After a while, on the next rebuild folks realize they do nothing but have too many wires and restrict flow.

Let the new guy play.
The sensors are sort of "play". After all this is a hobby. The cost of the liquid cooling system around $700 (actually this does not include the extra cost of the two EVGA water cooled 780s which would bring the total to about $1000) can not really be justified by the quieter system and possibly higher overclock.

I am the sort of guy that likes to know what effect the changing of the fan speeds and pump speed has on my system. The sensors should give me feedback. They are learning tools. I did forgo a flow meter and a pressure sensor.

As to restriction, since the Coolgate radiators have two "in" and two "out" ports; I plan to put a temp sensor in one of the "ins" and one of the "outs". I don't see how this would restrict flow. An appropriately placed sensor should show the temperature of the water after picking up heat from the CPU and the two GPUs as the water enters the first radiator. Then the other sensor should show the temperature of the water as it leaves the second radiator headed to the reservoir. I am curious as to what if any effect changing speed of fans, the pump, and ambient air temperature may have on the system.

The cost of the two sensors only adds about 2% to the cost to the cooling system.

The sensors won't restrict flow. The flow meter does a bit. Every extra fitting etc reduces flow. In your situation you'll be fine etc. Just have fun is all that matters.

Ohh so you dumped the flow and pressure meter? Good.

I planned to control the pump by plugging it into the motherboard. I wanted the fan controller with at least 30W per channel for the 12 or 13 fans I will be using. I'm using the Gentle Typhoon AP-45 which has a 0.53A starting current; so I can put 4 fans on a channel.

I'm pushing 10 high speed typhoons & 3 typhoon case fans with that exact controller easy. :thup: watch out the headers are long and flimsy, only complaint.

As an owner of the mcp35x2 i would recommend controlling it via a knob... Only reason i say this is because start up system check runs both pumps at 100% for a few seconds, sucking allot of air into the system. This is only a problem when cold booting the system & obviously NOT a problem when coming out of sleep. This would be less pronounced for you since you plan to use a single mcp35x2.

The sensors won't restrict flow. The flow meter does a bit. Every extra fitting etc reduces flow. In your situation you'll be fine etc. Just have fun is all that matters.

Ohh so you dumped the flow and pressure meter? Good.

:rofl:

I got my Coolgate 480 radiators. I am in the process of flushing them out. This first pic is the stuff that came out the first flush (quarter for scale)
1stflush_zpsfd25084d.jpg

Pic below is third flush:

The pic below is the 12th flush:

As you can see even on the 12th flush I am still getting "stuff" out of the radiator. Most of the particles do not feel gritty. They seem soft.
How much is "good enough"? How much debris can the pump tolerate without grinding itself to ruin?

You are probably good if you are shaking that ****er as hard as possible and only getting a spec or two out.

As to chewing up the pump... I kinda always assumed the extra debris would just settle in my 80mm thick bottom rad and come out on the next tear down.

Love the rad choice btw... #1 reason i went with alphacool was because of the multiple ports. Makes draining much easier.

I think your fine. Your using hot almost boiling water, let sit and cool a while, drain about 1/3rd out then doing the rad dance each time?

You'll never get it all and I think your plenty good. Surprising how much you got the first time.

Thanks for the advice.

I think a little physical effort now may save a lot of trouble later. So I'll do a few more "fill, shake & drain" and see if any more debris comes out.

I am going to take the time to do this right.

All my parts are not here yet.

Just exploring the Corsair 900D case is going to take an expedition. ;)

Hehe, you never saw in the stickies about the 'rad dance'? Something I came up with years ago. It's how I cleaned my first rad. Long ago there was a lot of flux in the rads and it took time to clean them. At least that was the horror story. My classic Thermochill PA 120 was cleaner than yours.

Sadly, no one has made a vid of it. You should, if your a fan of Homer Simpson and remember the slow mo of him with the magic baseball bat.

So far so good. Took me about 3-4 months on reading, researching before taking the plunge. Glad to hear your taking your time and crossing your T's and dotting your I's.

It's going to be a great build mate! Enjoy.

:comp:

Edit:
Almost forgot..... Most importantly Pics or it didn't happen :D

Thanks for the advice.

I think a little physical effort now may save a lot of trouble later. So I'll do a few more "fill, shake & drain" and see if any more debris comes out.

I am going to take the time to do this right.

All my parts are not here yet.

Just exploring the Corsair 900D case is going to take an expedition. ;)

Back