• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning New AMD Threadripper Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 2 VMs running now...consuming 2 cores...CPU usage stays at about 6% constant usage.

The number of cores on this Threadripper is obscene...this makes everything buttery smooth!

Here are a couple of pictures with everything lit up...it's so pretty (LEDs at 50% brightness!

Not showing are the Cosair RGB LED keyboard, mouse, and mouse mat (RGB LEDs around the edges).

Of course, all colors (including motherboard) change to Red when I log in...like a good Sith...

Side View:

View attachment 211861

Front View:

View attachment 211862

I did my first BluRay movie encode this weekend using Handbrake...it took 20 minutes for a 2.5 hour movie.

That's like stupid fast.

Handbrake didn't even use all of the cores...about 12 to 16.

My last system (Intel 5820K), a BluRay encode took whatever the movie length was.

Wondering why it didn't use all the c/t to do the job... is that normal?

I did some Google-fu after noticing it wasn't using all the threads...

HandBrake can scale well up to 6 CPU cores with diminishing returns thereafter. So a 4 Core CPU can be nearly twice as fast as a Dual Core equivalent. HandBrake also supports encoding in Hardware with Intel QuickSync.

So, there is a limit for Handbrake

Saw that article...it looks old.

For reference the "RF' setting was 22.

Perhaps it is.. but sheesh, what a kick in the pants that software doesn't scale with cores. This further solidifies my thoughts on the core wars being a waste for most users. :p

I had a scare last night...

I shut down the PC to change out some fans and fan cables...plugged everything back in...turned it on...

POST ERROR!!!

Computer would not post. WFT????

After about 30 minutes of troubleshooting, I tracked it down to a bad PCIe riser cable (this cable is a week old). I plugged the GPU into the motherboard and everything booted fine.

Phew!

I hate those riser cables... so fragile! I've had two go bad on me in 5 years.

I literally moved the GPU/touched the cable three times (and was more careful) after the first one...

Glad it was easy!

Got the overclock up another 50 MHz to 4.2 GHz on all cores (with a small voltage increase to 1.220 V).

This chip has more in it (but it is scary pushing a CPU that cost $1,950 - hehe). The air cooler (while ugly) still has headroom left in it...temps are under 80 °C at 27 °C ambient...I will wait until I water cool this system before pushing to 4.3 GHz.

Got the overclock up another 50 MHz to 4.2 GHz on all cores (with a small voltage increase to 1.220 V).

This chip has more in it (but it is scary pushing a CPU that cost $1,950 - hehe). The air cooler (while ugly) still has headroom left in it...temps are under 80 °C at 27 °C ambient...I will wait until I water cool this system before pushing to 4.3 GHz.

Any more info on this great RGB bling-bling build? Please run geek bench-3/4 so we have a score for single/multi core improvements over your i7-5820k..
Don’t knock the i7-5820k on it’s ram speed, the right MB can unlock 11-11-11-20/185 1T @3333 :)

I am on-the-way with a similar build. See my signature. Still waiting for the case. Fedex 'lost' the shipment. Left Arcadia and has not been seen since.

I am running the MB sitting on a bench. The Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 has one fan installed. To give room to the RAM, I have the fan mounted so it is about 1 inch above the heatsink. Seems to be OK. Air is flowing through all of the heatsink. When I get the case, I will install the second fan.

Should I move the fan down so it is centered on the heatsink?

I still have the default setup, except for ubuntu having vanilla gnome and booting to console.

I ran the system for 60 hours, fully loaded. CPU freq 3.8GHz.
Sat May 15 12:11:42 PDT 2021
Idle Full Load
------ --------
Tctl: 27.0 C 74.125 C
Tdie: 27.0 C 74.125 C
Tccd1: 26.5 C 72.250 C
Tccd3: 24.8 C 68.750 C
Tccd5: 28.0 C 74.500 C
Tccd7: 25.2 C 69.250 C
acpitz was -273.1 C loaded and +16.8 C unloaded. I read the driver and do not understand this.

I centered mine on the heatsink...doesn't interfere with the RAM.

Great pictures. I think my fan housing may actually touch the RAM heatsink if I center it on the CPU cooler radiator. I will try to post a picture, if I can get one that does not look like a kid with a broken, melting crayon.

How did you connect the fans to the motherboard?
I connected mine:
Input to CPU_FAN
Output to CPU_OPT

The output fan seems to run 100~105 RPM slower. I wonder why.

Back