• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plants in a computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cerberus

alright... i cut a big hole in the front of the case and used motherboard standoffs to attach a plexi sheet over it... so i need something to put behind it that looked cool.. my first thought was a little waterfall setup but it'd **** me off to have to refill it every day... so i thought why not make a little trough and put some of those bamboo stalks inside my case with a little lighting... just prune the tops every so often so they dont recreate china inside there and watering only has to be done occasionally with those things.... anybody have any opinions on my stupid idea?

AmigoThree

Sorry but if possible could you post a picuture of where you will put this again, I am not quite getting a good picture in my head.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
That’s an interesting idea. Try it out and see how it works. I’m sure it won’t hurt anything inside your pc, and it would look pretty cool I think. You might even want to try some of those plants that don’t need dirt. I forgot the name of them though. :)

OP
cerberus

cerberus

yeah the little bamboo shoots dont actually need dirt... thats why i chose them.. just a little plexi trough with water and another little piece with holes to hold them in place

BoonieRat

What about humidity?, all plants need phosphates, nitrates and potash(I think) from soil, water is OK as long as you add the three chems' and oxiginate it, better of with plant Gel...

Use a Bonzai tree! :)...

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
how about fish

a bonzai would be cool as hell

mine died recently for got to water if for a week while i was away
it was sick anyway

there kinda hard to take care of

OP
cerberus

cerberus

yeah i would just dissolve a little fertilizer into the water or something... and yeah bonzai would be cool cept i have a bad habit of killing those.. and fish would be cool cept id have to rig it so i could take it out and clean it so i dont end up with a swamp inside my computer.. any other ideas for cool stuff to stick there?

Crash893

what about thouse fake fish that have a glass bubble tied to them so they float around like real fish

i always thought a ant farm would be cool but thats just crazyness

palee72

hmmm.. this is giving me an idea.........

Attach my habitrail to the tower with the tubes going through the inside of the PC.......Hampster could get nice and warm in the winter..... hmmmmmmmm

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
crash893 said:
what about thouse fake fish that have a glass bubble tied to them so they float around like real fish

i always thought a ant farm would be cool but thats just crazyness

can you just imagine the insanity of that ant farm would happen to break and the ants got out?? haha. i am sure some adventurous and stupid ants would check out the fans then your case would be sprayed with ants :) i find the idea of an ant farm pretty funny though. definitely unique... just gotta be careful when moving the case around, that's for sure!

Crash893

another thing i tought of is im not sure exactly what its called but they have these rubber balls at places like discovery store that are filled with some liquid that when you mix it up you can see little matalic ribions kinda flowing threw it

if you had a way of constantly stiring it up it would be really cool

or you could do a lcd or something in there

OP
cerberus

cerberus

yeah i definitely didnt wanna do an lcd... been done too many times... i wanted somethin unique... *and cheap* ant farm actually sounds pretty cool though... would definitely be different. and yeah i know what ure talking about with that swirly stuff in those balls... i might get adventursome and go buy a dozen and use my little pump and have it recirculate that stuff around... maybe get one of those submersible colored lights for aquariums and stick it in there... might look pretty nifty

UnWishedLegacy

[lightbulb flashes above head]
Get an airtight/watertight plexi and make a Lave-Lamp out of it- if your rigs kinda hot it will make it work better, but what light you you use because it would make a fair amount of heat (to melt the wax).
[/lightbulb flashes above head]

OP
cerberus

cerberus

REALLY liking lava lamp idea... get one that has that dark gray'ish blue wax in it... great idea man

UnWishedLegacy

cheers Cerb, but like I said, heat would be a major issue- those lava lamps can get very hot so if you intend to overclock, you may need to consider watercooling (if thats what your going to do, you could get the water to circulate round the window (both looking cool and cooling the water down) but I may be getting ahead of myself...
BTW-
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

OP
cerberus

cerberus

yeah its already oc'ed... ive got a water/pelt setup and the radiator is in the top.. wouldnt be too much trouble to add a little fan/duct to blow the generated heat out the front

CPFitz14

fish would be sweet!!!!!!!!!!! You could have a side window, with an aquarium. The back glass could be frosted, so you didn't see the pc parts. That would be so awesome. If I could mod at all, that would be my project.:D:D:D