• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

play game without CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

js341

Registered
I was wondering if there is a way to play a game off the hard drive instead of cd-rom. Can I put the whole cd on the hard drive and just click on the file instead of getting insert cd? I'm trying to do this with command & conquer zero hour.

There are ways, but it may be against your EULA to do it. I dont have that game so I couldent tell you if it is or not.

You can't always play from the HDD... since most EXEs have some copy-protection included that check for the original disc. How people go about getting around that, we can't discuss here.

I know it's getting ignoring to switch the CDs among sooo many different games. There are a few games does not require CDs for multiplay.

Well if you swear you own the CDs. I think it's ok to discuss about it. Every game(or at least most) actually doesn't need CD to run the game itself. It only check a copyright file which wouldn't be copied to HDD during the installation. The purpose is to make sure you own the CDs. If you copy that file to your HDD, then you won't need the CD to play it.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I own the games...

I don't want to encourage breaking copyright laws, but I'm looking for a game performance increase, cause I play this game everyday and tired of using the CD. I used this forum cause it full of good information, but I don't want to break any forum rules or anything. I just want suggestion and have always wondered if I could improve the game if I ran it off the hard drive. I put my Windows XP cd on my hard drive and it loads a whole lot quicker than from the CD-rom. I haven't really read form this section of the forum, so I don't know if this is discussed daily, just wanted some info.

I don't think you will get better performance by running the game off the HDD. Were you talking about the installation speed about your WindowsXP? It sure increased the speed of installation because the HDD is way faster than read from the CD. Don't think the performance increases when you use it.

I think u need some virtual drive

I let u run your application/games without the "REAL" cd
and it has copy protection so any non legal copy will not work

i am using one , Virtual Drive Professional

Daemon Tools works great too...

Prog's lik DT and Alcohol trick your computer into thinking it's got exta CD roms connected to it. I think in both DT and A120%, they show up in the form of SCSI drives. These progs actually make use of your WinXP SCSI drivers too. ;)

yes alcoholo 120% is the best, and i assume it is legal, though clone cd which did the same thing was shut down for illegalness i guess alcohol 120% will be next.......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CloneCD just an CD-copy tool. It creates an .img, .cue/.bin, or .iso file of your CD. It isn't a virtual device (at least I've never used it as such). You then run a program like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools to read the CD image.

The main purpose of CloneCD (and one of the purposes of Alcohol 120) is to make a backup copy of software you legally own (I know, you don't "own" software -- you "license" it). I paid for both of these programs and they've saved my life more than once (broken and super-scratched discs).

Back to your question. There are ways to do what you want, but as others have said, this is not the best place to discuss it. I would recommend using your favorite web search engine and go from there.

Back