• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

played like a deck of cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hedge

Registered
Ok I know this isnt in the right area but I cant post in the front page section and no reply back from anyone via email and pm's so here goes.

The article: http://overclockers.com/articles1065/ , Do you think this is aimed at people that have a fairly new system, lets say a 2500+ or equivelant pentium or greater cpu with lets say a 9800 pro or equivelant card?

I have an amd 1900+ with 1 gb of pc 2300 ram and a 9600 pro, and i'm looking to upgrade but I read this and was just wondering.

I know anything posted would be speculation as it doesn't come directly from the author, but I was wondering nonetheless.

I have the same virtually, and I would wait to upgrade for similar reasons to what that article reflects... There is still a lot of flux right now, waiting until PCI-e settles atleast is a good idea. Also, 939 is expensive but a better choice than 754.

In the end though, personally I ran into some unexpected bills lately so instead of upgrading in a month or two, I'm probably looking much longer term to upgrade, and I will likely end up waiting all the way until Dual Core CPU's come out. I don't game everyday though either.

At the very least, I would wait until doom gets here to decide if you think it is worth upgrading now. Right now, I'm not planning on buyin it until I can get a used version at a decent price around here... So maybe once its out I will sing a different tune myself. :)

I think you upgrade when your overall needs dictate it. You can't always wait to buy, because you could be waiting forever, since technology very rarely ever stands still. There's always something new coming out.

That said, I am glad that games like Far Cry and Doom3 are pushing the limits of components. I'm always up for faster components, and using the technology that we have, instead of seeing all these new cards and having to wait for games to be able to use the next generation features.

I'm still running a Ti4200, and i'm fine with it because I don't game heavily and it still plays games at a decent level, enough for me anyways. When i start to play a slideshow, i'll upgrade. In the meantime, i'll just sit back and watch what happens with technology.

well for people like me that don't play games like that it means nothing. I can be happy with the Radeon 9800Pro or XT I will buy when the prices drop, if they ever do. I mean yeah the new cards appear awesome, but I don't wanna pay that much.

Ok what about this. Since i'm new at oc'ing, what if I saved my $ and waited for this new stuff to pan out a little, but upgraded my generic non oc'ing mobo for a new one that was "feature filled" and dual channel supported and oc my 1900+?

You think I might get some decent performance outta that cpu? All the while saving money and getting my feet wet so to speak. Then do a major upgrade when things are more certain. I haven't seen much on oc'ing a 1900+ though.

Thanks for replying.

^^ the issue is if you are waitng for Doom 3 - your bottle neck will be your CPU

as said

At the very least, I would wait until doom gets here to decide if you think it is worth upgrading now. Right now, I'm not planning on buyin it until I can get a used version at a decent price around here... So maybe once its out I will sing a different tune myself.

wait until the game is actually released and is real! Many "min"
requirements for games means running it and it looks like crap!!

So - i say wait - what is the worse that can happen? Well you can get the hardware you want NOW for less $$$$ :D and not have to worry about buying something and then wonder "mmmmmm" will this really do what the "reviews" say it will?

:D wait on cold hard fact from the geat people @ www.ocforums.com - and i will be one of them :)

(see: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=2930237#post2930237 for eventually updates on what can run what :D if you can not find any other threads - that is if i buy a 6800GT or not and remeber to keep that thread updated..lol)

My 2000+ Palomino is starting to show its age...
My 768mb of generic pc2100 ram is...well...generic pc2100 ram...

My over-clocking abilities are nil. I can go from 1.67ghz to 1.73...wow?

I've decided its been over two years, im ready for a massive overhaul of my current system. But, I've also decided, on my own before reading this article. I'd much rather wait. I'm waiting for PCIe. I'm waiting for DDR2. I'm possibly waiting for Dual Core chips. I'm waiting for prices to fall a bit more reasonable for what I'm looking at.

I have huge hopes for Doom3. I'm certain I'll be able to play it with all of the eye candy...just not at the uber-high resolution I might like. I also don't think its going to be one of these games you finish once, sit back, proud of yourself, and instantly uninstall it, never to be seen again. I know it will have replay value, even as basic as difficulty levels.

Long rant short...save your money, wait for the technology to get here. We're simply wading in the water, waiting on a wave...don't jump on one of the lil ones...wait for the big one...it'll be worth it.

^^^ well - u dont have to wait for dual cores - as they will be backwards compatible with current mobo's - that of course is AMD's thought.

PCIe/ DDR2 is out - if you want to go intel - but again may be good to wait as this is such new technology may have soem ncie flaws yet to surface.

I would say hold off for as long as you can - the longer - the better for you at this moment.

Back