• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playing ps2 on computer crt monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mushudo

Registered
is there a way i could go about doing this? at the moment my monitor is as big as my tv lol. my old tv blew up. this tv is crappy beyond reason so i was wondering about playing games on monitor. This would allow me to play some games in a higher resoulution wouldnt it? and maybe i could get away from the crappy rf switch :L . any help or info on this matter would be appreciated.

PCGUY112887

Well, either you could get a TV tuner card that decodes the video fast enough so you don't get a "lag" from the contorler to the game, or I think they make stand alone converters, but last time I checked they are a bit pricy...

Dc5e

you can get a external tv-tuner but then you can't play on your desktop... if you get a tuner card, then you can play on your desktop while still using your comp or doing whatever. Thats what i do, plus with a tuner card you can record your ps2 if you do something amazing :)

OP
Mushudo

Mushudo

Registered
well i see on the site you gave me it has about 3 diffenrent kinds err... well theres up-scan, progressive scan, and double scan. anyone know about them?

OP
Mushudo

Mushudo

Registered
bah. i was checking around and it seems that progressive scan is the best..i think and i also see it says my ps2 model doesnt support progressive scan. bah i'll just save for a good tv i guess

PCGUY112887

I don't think any PS2 is progressive scan... maybe xbox with the special connectors (breaks it into component video) but that's about it.

stratcatprowlin

THe ps2 console does suppport progressive scan but most of its games do not.So check if your games do.

On the contrary All Xbox games do support progressive scan.

dguy6789

running ps2 on a moniter is going to be like playing computer games at 640X480 or lower with no AA. Welcome to jaggy heaven.

stratcatprowlin

It will be jaggy heaven in 480p!

My XBOX looks pretty bad going through the tv tuner,Maybe it looks better with one of these vga converters,I dont know but IM not spending $50 to find out.

Mr.Guvernment

PS2 is capable of HD tv res is it not? or @ least like 1280 x resolutions? i know it is high - now it is more a matter of how the games are made...