• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 1 ModChips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOneDonRamon

Registered
Hi all I want to learn to install mod chips so i thought i would buy one for my good ol playstation1 :).For imported games of course!
Anyway i would like to order off gamegizmo.com if possible.I think they got decent prices i got a generic gameshark off them back i nthe day for like $10.Anyway my PS model number is 5501.Please let me know what is involved if u feel like explaining to me.Thanks

o0OBruceLeeO0o

I have the same model playstation, and to play Imported games I use a ps1 bootdisk I got online. I also have a Action Replay (gameshark) witch allows me to play imports to. Just letting you know theres other options :).

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
For playing imports or not, I don't think this topic can be here.

Keep it to the modchip installation itself, and not what you do with it, and it should be alright.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
just curiouse but is there something unkosher about playing imports on a domestic game system, i never had a ps and really dont know much about any of it

james.miller

yes it does. just to clarify.

mod-chips are a no, im sure.
emulators are legal programs, so they are ok (unless im wrong)
roms are also a no. (because they are ilegal)

SpeeDj

Rom's are legal if you physically have the game that the rom is off if you own it, it's legal if you don't it isn't but to clarify there should be no posting of where to find rom's because there is no way for any of us to verify the user truly does own the title in question.

Mod chip's are kind of grey area follow Oni's lead on this one, if the thread goes over the top it will be gone, simple as that. Talk about how to install it, even perhaps where to find them, but not what they do or conceivably ALLOW you to do.

Emulators are a grey area as well, some are legal some are not. Where to find them is also grey area, but we all know how use google so we shouldn't be giving links out for the reason.

Just my two cent's stay on track and this discussion is fine, hop off like a train wreck and say poof :)

J :cool:

james.miller

yeah thats what i thought.

i think that any emulator is concidered legal, unless the programmer's reverse-engineered official games or hardware.
all the emulators i have used have all been prduced by using public domain demos and such, which is 100% legal.

also yes i forgot to mention that having the rom is lagal ONLY if you own the original. Which, in this case, is no problem for me since all of the playstation games i have played using Emulators are all original, brought and owned by me.

xvi3tsoljahx

Installing it isn't hard really. I had a action replay, but some of those imports won't play. I switched to a modchip and solider and all the games i brought from vietnam worked. If you wanted to know where i brought the modchip i brought it at a computershow.

eXtraktor

I think that modchips are actually not illegal if you use it to play imports but i could be wrong. I find it stupid that companies dont include this from the start so that ppl could play imports...