• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation setup - cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summit

So I've heard mixed reviews about HDMI -- I just bought a PS3, and I want to hook it up to my 1080p television and get the best possible picture and sound quality.

The dude at Radio Shack tried to convince me that his $50 HDMI cable was the only way to go, and that it would be superior in every way to the cables I'm seeing on amazon.com for THREE DOLLARS. Now, I'm no stranger to the notion that you get what you pay for, but I also acknowledge that people are going to charge whatever they think they can get you to pay. Is this technology REALLY that different? Ie, how much of a difference is the top-tier console-specific HDMI cable on Mostercables.com *actually* going to make for the 100 DOLLARS they are asking for it??? Somehow I can't justify paying 1/3 of the cost of the whole system just for the piece that connects it to the TV.

If there is a considerable difference, where should I look if I am going to spend less than $30, and what "specs" or whatever do I need if I want to get the best bang for my buck?

Friggin cables...

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Most of the data are digital now day. Only 0's and 1's you won't see any difference between $50 monster-type cables from bargain bin $5 cables.

Get the cheapest one you can find. Those RS guy is trying to sell you BS because some stores offer incentives to sales drone who sells pricier (read: bigger profit margin) cables.

TF2

I have a $2 HDMI cable I got off newegg during black friday (regular $8) and it looks amazing. Just buy a cheap one from them, it will look great.

MagesticApe

Registered
Well I have used MS branded and Sony Branded HDMI cables and I also have used $2-3 ones of monoprice and meritline and I cannot see a difference on my Samsung 56" 650series

Creegz

They make a sick commission on HDMI cables. Where I work they sell for 20 bucks, they have gone on sale for 10 or less once. Cables don't cost much to produce, the only markup is on shipping overseas, however 10 bucks for 3m is about average, and what you SHOULD pay. Those cables cost so much because people buy 4000 dollar systems, and then selling them a 100 dollar cable is easy. In comparison 100 dollars is nothing added onto the 4k before tax.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
as long as the signal is uninterupted, it doesn't matter if it's a coat-hanger or a $100 monsterously-over-priced cable.... digital signal means it's either there or not. a more expensive cable doesn't make a digitial signal 'more there'.

Headstand

I know $10 for a 3m is right, but I am always looking for a better deal. I got a 1m off CL for $1, but it is so short, I can only use it with the laptop to Plasma.

As for the markup, reminds me of USB 2.0 Gold and 1394 cables back in the day. I worked at Best Buy and the USB and FW cables were like $25 each. As an employee we got cost plus 3% (or something like that). Well I bought 2 USB and 2 FW for about $12. That would make it almost a 90% markup. Ridiculous!!!