• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE explain diff between ATI 8500LE and 8500!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

Man I am so confused about the differences between the LE and non-LE boards...

What I think I know:
1.) ATI 8500 supports dual CRT setup
2.) ATI 8500LE does NOT support dual CRT setup but has tv out and in every single pic I've seen of a LE board has also had the DVI out

What I'm confused about:
1.) Why does the manual from ATI say the LE doesn't have a DVI out and doesn't support dual CRT's but every online shopping site I've seen shows the LE's with DVI outs!!
2.) What in good gods green earth is this board I found:

http://www.buyaib.com/atiradr28564.html

http://store5.yimg.com/I/buyaib_1684_166588

I don't understand if this board is an LE or a non-LE. I can't find any other boards like this with the EXTRA CRT VGA header on the card!!!!

Someone please explain! thanks!!

8500 and LE

The only LE I'd consider getting is the one made by Gigabyte. Retail 8500's are about the same price if you look on www.newegg.com

I think both cards I mentioned have the same video connectivity.

Does that giga-byte board support dual crt?? I didn't see it anywhere on the site??

Still confused... what is the LE?

Anyone?

Dualing on Ati's

The way I understand it, you have to get a dvi to analog converter to run a 2nd CRT monitor off the dvi connector. This may or may not be included with the card. Both that I mentioned have an analog and dvi connector. You just have to use a converter. Some1 jump in and correct me if I got it wrong.

Last edited:
I have both versions, the DVI works on both cards!! This is not a guess, it is a fact. The OEM or LE DO NOT come with the analog-DVI adapter. I hope this rests this question. it gets asked about once every 2 days.

The other difference is that the LE version is not clocked as high either. Most peaple are able to reach at least the speeds of the retail version with a good OC.

Well not knowing much, by looking at the 8500 and the 8500LE on the shelf, side by side at best buy the thing I notice most is the LE has 128mb as opposed to 64mb. I think that's a marketing gimmack tough.

Grande Juan said:
Well not knowing much, by looking at the 8500 and the 8500LE on the shelf, side by side at best buy the thing I notice most is the LE has 128mb as opposed to 64mb. I think that's a marketing gimmack tough.

only some of the LE's have 128mb and you dont really benefit from it at this point in time...

only some of the LE's have 128mb and you dont really benefit from it at this point in time... [/B][/QUOTE] As I said a marketing gimmick.;)

*BUMP* any last thoughts? Any proof anywhere, I really don't have much more than I did before about the LE/non-LE difference, just scattered facts and experiences...

h0mersimps0n said:
*BUMP* any last thoughts? Any proof anywhere, I really don't have much more than I did before about the LE/non-LE difference, just scattered facts and experiences...

1. Both 8500 and 8500LE support DVI output, and both support dual CRT output, however LE does not come with the adapter needed for dual CRT output.

2. The LE is clocked at 250/250
3. 8500 is clocked at 275/275

h0mersimps0n said:
Is it possible to OC the LE to 275/275? If so how?

thanks!

yes it is very possible using a prggy such as radeon tweaker and many people hav gone even farther than that

OC

Yes, 275/275 should be easy to reach on the Gigabyte 8500LE and on most 8500LE's. The card comes with a program called v-tuner for hardware-monitoring and overclocking. I heard that programs like powerstrip or rage tweaker might work better for overclocking it though. Most programs like that are simple to use, adjusting clock speeds by a slider bar. Use 3dmark2001 to test the stability and performance gains when overclocking a video card.

OK so now the dreded question, GF3 Ti200 or 8500LE/8500???

GF3 Ti500 is just out of my price range but I've seen benches that put the ti500 just below the gf4 4400... thoughts??

an 8500 is just as fast as a Ti500 and when overclocked it can be much faster...the ti200 is also a good overclocker....i would get the 8500Le though because it has more potential...

Back