• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PLEASE! For the love of THE WORD OVERCLOCK HELP ME!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amnesiac

Simply put. Help me overclock this Corsair XMS2! [PC = p4 520, Asus P5-QPL AM, 1x2gB XMS2. Other specs dont matter!]

Story, that i will try to keep short:

1: So went like last year to get some parts. I am a Corsair fan to the end! but my luck wasn't good that day and i couldn't find either the xms2 or even the Value rams of Corsair. So bought Kingston value rams.

2: When came to overclocking. It was just a matter of increasing multi's. Was a piece of cake! RAMs (2x1gb) at 940 and proc at 3.3 which was good blend of required power and heat factor. So it was a sweet spot. Prime95, memtest86+ etc etc. Everything showed that PC was as normal as it can be.

3: Definitely felt gain with 500mhz of OC :p.

4: So few months ago, went and bought xms2 FINALLY!

5: When came to overclocking... FAIL!

6: It failed working on the previous spec. Even 1mhz increment and BSOD! :mad:

6.5: Good to note: I even got a BSOD with settings on stock but manually through BIOS. So threw them to auto and everything is fine.

7: With same settings (940 RAM), i changed the timing (as suggested by some user at other forum) to 6-6-6 next being the stock 18. He/she said that its about the mobo's mhc :confused:. ha i asked then why is it working on stock :rolleyes:? No answer...

8: Worked but wasn't stable. I now have no time to be running memtests and prime95's! So didn't bother. Now after using for awhile or some days when i went to shutdown, there was an error of explorer.exe etc.

9: Threw everything at stock and everything was fine.

10: Now i am siting sad from the time i bought this RAM! :( How can Corsair be like this! This is such a shame! But thankfully i read that these rams are actually great and people have overclocked it to weeeasy 1000mhz. Now where the hell are those people when i need help! :bang head

11: So after reading some xms2 user guides i tried messing with voltage. Yes my board has voltage control :p. Went till 2.01 but lulz 'BAD_POOl_HEADER'... BSOD YEAH!

12: Everything at stock now, AGAIN!.

Now please guys help me! But please dont forward me to some stupid {expletive} guides! I have read them all but lets say i went to sleep reading them, and will again :shrug:.

{Expletive} THESE TROLLS! :temper:. First when i asked this question somewhere else, i got trolled so bad :censored:.

1: Don't tell me to upgrade'! I will in November but in that mean time i am playing some games in which i need some processing power. I am pretty sure i can get 5fps at least so i really need them. Lets say you dont believe me, but believe me here when i say that i am not able to watch a video encoded at 1440x1078 at stock fluidly while on 3.3 its mince meat. So yeah need those few more MHz.

2: I have seen a guy with a quad having these bad boys at 900mhz on 2.0V. Hell i will push them to 2.4 if it has too. That's the max my board can go too.

3: I am total amateur when it comes to ram timings.

Now this community should help me achieve what i want! For the name sake :salute:. Hell most of you should have used these rams! Shake your head abit and tell me what you did.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
why don't you just put the kingston back in if it was working?

also refrain from using the term "GOD D@MN" some poeple find it offensive and this forum likes to keep things family rated. just some friendly advice.

It would be helpful to us if you would run CPU-z and upload pics of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will tell us a lot about your sytstem, bios settings, and yes, ram specs and current ram frequencies and timings. Your post is kind of rambling and difficult for me to follow. These pics will save us all a lot of communication time.

FB04MG.jpg

It's possible you may just have a crappy batch of RAM... my RAM won't even do 1070. 1066 is the best it does. Plain and Simple. I'm not an memory expert though. :shrug:

I note that your ram is in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode. How many sticks are you running?

It's possible you may just have a crappy batch of RAM... my RAM won't even do 1070. 1066 is the best it does. Plain and Simple. I'm not an memory expert though. :shrug:

I just need to go till 940 or 950. Or i can even shift back to 667 mode. Its those more MHz i am after.

I note that your ram is in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode. How many sticks are you running?

One 2gB module.

a single larger module is unlikely to clock quite aswell. you would get better performance from 2x1gb in dual channel mode. even at stock speeds.

a single larger module is unlikely to clock quite aswell. you would get better performance from 2x1gb in dual channel mode. even at stock speeds.

Whats that suppose to mean? :-/. Do you think i care about Dual Channel at this moment? and if you mean DC will give better OC'ing capability then i can prove you wrong right now!

I dont care about performance of ram! I need to take my Processor to 3.4. Even if have to undervolt, overvolt etc etc the ram!

Now should i try 940 6-6-6-18 with 2.1V? again why i am not doing this stupid risk taking is all because... that i love my data. Sorry to say but i am in no condition to do trial and error. I have already seen & experienced what happens if you keep crashing your windows. Thats why i am asking you guys. Or forward me to users who use this RAM or you know that they have used it. atm i cant find any because i am not familiar with this forum.

Whats that suppose to mean? :-/. Do you think i care about Dual Channel at this moment? and if you mean DC will give better OC'ing capability then i can prove you wrong right now!

I dont care about performance of ram! I need to take my Processor to 3.4. Even if have to undervolt, overvolt etc etc the ram!

Now should i try 940 6-6-6-18 with 2.1V? again why i am not doing this stupid risk taking is all because... that i love my data. Sorry to say but i am in no condition to do trial and error. I have already seen & experienced what happens if you keep crashing your windows. Thats why i am asking you guys. Or forward me to users who use this RAM or you know that they have used it. atm i cant find any because i am not familiar with this forum.

you are rude so i am done with this thread. your wanting us to basically do your ram OC for you. you said in your first post not to forward you to guides because they make you fall asleep. well thats not our problem. also if you old kingston was working just put it back in and sell off your xms2 ram. not really surprised you got trolled at the other forum.

Also, some hardware will not push past its stock settings no matter what!

you are rude so i am done with this thread. your wanting us to basically do your ram OC for you. you said in your first post not to forward you to guides because they make you fall asleep. well thats not our problem. also if you old kingston was working just put it back in and sell off your xms2 ram. not really surprised you got trolled at the other forum.

Also, some hardware will not push past its stock settings no matter what!

I am rude? Its you who is rude. First you come say 'Put your Kingstons back', then you say 'Dual channel works better', Now you are saying go sell this ram. You have, yes of course, painted a picture which says 'Troll'. When you cant help, have nothing good to say, then dont. I ignored your first post, but you keep coming with obnoxious answers. How do you know i have those Kingstons with me? :shrug: Yes there were more trolls like you who suggested 'o o Get a new ram', 'Corsair suks PERIOD', 'Poor people living with 775 stuff', 'Why dont you upgrade' and more pathetic stuff like that.

Anyway i have read guides, and 1 here too. As said, i wont go into long trial and error. and i actually didn't find any RAM overclocking guide here. Do forward me to one. Lets see what happens.

Hopefully some ex user or current user will help me out. In that mean time i will try to find out the members who use them or have used them... will be long but hopefully worthwhile.

Edit: Mr.Baxter, this isn't some Chinese copy crap or some toy ram. Its a ram with proven capabilities that it can overclock. That 'some hardware' line of yours is wrong... in my case at least. I will hopefully show you when i overclock it.

Last edited:
But that's the problem, you come to us for help but you only want to do it your way. You find a way to dismiss nearly all of our suggestions. Well, if you already know more than we do, why do you waste our time and yours?

But that's the problem, you come to us for help but you only want to do it your way. You find a way to dismiss nearly all of our suggestions. Well, if you already know more than we do, why do you waste our time and yours?

... and what are you suggesting? :popcorn:

I came to ask you guys to help me overclock. Not for other...:blah:

Calm down guys.

Dual channel does tend to perform much better. Its rare to see people running SC RAM. That's why that was mentioned. Whether or not you had two sticks in the system is also a question that was implied. If you had two sticks, running in SC, it would have meant that something was wrong with your configuration somewhere else.

"OC is like stock. Expect no OC, and be glad if you can OC." If you're running your new ram with the same settings as the old RAM, and its not working, than quite simply, you can't OC this RAM. If you're looking to OC your CPU, drop the multi on the RAM, and then OC. Some silicon just simply won't go any faster. It ooks like you're the unlucky recipient of said silicon.

Try and keep calm. This is a family friendly forum. Someone that can help will come along. It might just take a while. Some people work weekends and stuff.

Good luck.

... and what are you suggesting? :popcorn:

I came to ask you guys to help me overclock. Not for other...:blah:

Amnesiac,

It would be in your best interest to relax and listen to the suggestions. There is no magic wand for a solution and your arrogance toward all suggestions has been noted.

RT

Dude. You need to calm down. If you continue on this path I can assure you no one will even consider trying to help you.

As others have said, you could just have a bad clocking stick. It happens. I had two sets of identical RAM bought around the same time. OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 DDR2-800. One set clocked to 950MHz. The other wouldn't go five MHz past their rated speed no matter what I did to them. A lot of RAM regardless of brand is hit or miss. Some are better than others (Corsair & G.Skill tend to be good choices), but even they have kits out there that don't clock.

Thus, not all RAM is the same. Even the same model number. You can't get some known-good magic formula from people who have used XMS2 RAM before because it doesn't exist; every stick of RAM has its own capabilities and limitations. RAM is very (very) much trial and error.

It's also, as you seem to have found out, one of the fastest ways to kill an OS install. If you have important data that's not backed up, it would be a good idea to stop trying to overclock your RAM until you've done so. It would also be a good idea to hold off trying to do this until you have the time to run stability tests. Memtext86+ will keep you out of your OS while you test settings, which could save you time from having to reinstall an OS because you didn't properly test for stability.

Also, as bmwbaxter said, single sided modules tend to clock better. Dual channel will give you some performance boost as well. If you have tried 1) increased voltage and 2) loosened timings, either the RAM isn't holding you back (northbridge maybe?) or the stick you have just doesn't clock well. Should you still posess the Kingston kit that did overclock and give you a nice performance boost, it may be better to go back to that. Just because it says Corsair (obviously, in this case) doesn't mean it's better.

Last but certainly not least, I'd highly recommend not coming back at this post or any subsequent post like you have some of the posts above. 'Tis not they who were trolling. There is only one person posting troll-like posts in this thread, and in this case it happens to be you. You're not a troll, just a very frustrated user. That I can understand. So take a step back, relax and try to come back with a better-adjusted outlook and attitude.

Last edited:
^ TL;DR.

Anyways i am done. Just here to post some pictures.

86826606148597041822.jpg

12708303839138826083.jpg

Ran memetest for 3hours + but no picture, so here i did some again for 40minutes...

Now strangely nothign worked on 4-4-4-12 or 13 or 14 or 15 or 16. From 2.3V to 1.8.

This may come as a shock, at least it was to me. The higher the voltages with the tight timings, the more epic errors came in memtest. The lower i went, the lesser the errors. But i think its my board. It cant take on 4-4-4-12. Or maybe bad stick. I played alot with timings and voltages. End result 6-6-6-18 with 1.875V. first it was also stable at 7-7-7-21 2.305V.

Too long; didn't read? Really? Every post you have in this thread thus far has read like some petulant child wrote it. My three year old shows more class in response to being helped than you. Sure hope you don't have any more problems with your equipment. I see no one trying to assist you after this farce.

Back