• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me choose 128GB ram for AMD TR + ASUS Zenith Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Hi
Tried to read as many reviews as possible and looked over the PVR here
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...E/ROG_Zenith_Extreme_Memory_QVL_2133-3600.pdf

but still quite confused.
Of all the vendors listed the only 3 that I have heard of before are
Corsair, Kingston and GSkills.

If I limit my choice to only 16GB DIMMs the options are very few and the DIMMS specified all seem to have lower speed ratings i around 2133MGHz.
Corsair_Vengeance LPX_DDR4_2666.png
Kingston_16GB_DDR4_2133MgHz.png

But if I go to the Gskills site and search for 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 l come up with these 3 TridentZ options
GSkill_DDR4_3200MgHZ_TridentZ.png

The TridentZ seems by far the best of the bunch at 3200MHz and lower latency values, but how do I know there is compatibility with my mobo and CPU?

As a costly investment, need to get right!

But reading the question answers on newegg "Has anyone used this with the Asus Zenith Extreme X399?"
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232562
leaves me even more confused, suggesting that there isn't proper support yet for 128GB and that 2933 is the highest speed that should be used.

The actual page on newegg for the ASUS Zenith Extreme says
DDR4 3600+(O.C.)/ 3200(O.C)/ 2800(O.C)/ 2666/ 2400/ 2133

Does this mean I should instead be looking for DIMMs with a maximum 2666MHz rating?

Last edited:
The Z's should have the bdie that you are looking for.
If you are that worried check the motherboard QVL for ram that has been tested to work.

Side note I hope we get to see pics and bench marks as well as what this beast will be for =).

Thanks, but already linked to the PVR in my post and the problem is that the 16GB Z's aren't listed. And after reading the Q&A on newegg even concerned whether there is any stability with 128GB. perhaps this board is just too new and ASUS has some things to improve in the BIOS, firmware...

This board is on the market for couple of months so should have fully stable BIOS long time ago. Don't look at newegg comments as many people there have no idea what are they doing.
I'm not sure what to recommend as I had no chance to test 128GB on any new AMD board. However looking at Ryzen, I doubt you make it work much past 2666 so spending money on expensive 3200 CL14 kit is not the best idea.
Generally everything should work up to 2666 and on Ryzen I had no issues with any IC at least up to 2666. Samsung is better for overclocking but their IC is only in the most expensive kits. Kingston below 3000 will be Hynix, Crucial will be Micron, GSkill will be Hynix, Corsair can be anything up to 3200.
On the other hand everything worth recommendation costs ~$1900 or more while these higher kits cost ~$2100 so it's not so big difference but I doubt that whatever you pick will run at 3200 using 8 memory slots.

Other thing is if you can actually use 128GB in anything you do. RAM is expensive while even in rendering is hard to use 128GB.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but curious what you ended up going with for 128GB of RAM.

I’m building a new ESX server and have a 1950x and ASUS x399 board sitting at the house now but need to find a good 128GB DDR4 kit

Thx

Back