• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help me choose a Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wakashizuma

Registered
Hello everyone
I'm about to upgrade the power supply of my computer to a better and high quality one. Right now I'm using a mid level 550W Cooler Master (because at the time I put the system together I couldn't afford a better PSU) but I want something powerful, efficient and hopefully quiet

Here is my system =

Intel core i7 920 (not overclocked yet)
Asus P6T Deluxe
6GB DDR3 1600MHZ
ATI Radeon 4670 512MB
2X SATA Drives
DVD Writer
Audigy Sound Blaster

Below are my future upgrade plans =

Overclocking my i7 to 3.0 GHZ
Adding another 6GB of Ram
Buying a mid to high end Graphics chip
A Blu-ray drive

I have NO plan to go multi GPU in future since I dont play games very often so they have no value for me. I dont do any extreme overclocking and I use my system to do a lot of video encoding

My questions are, what's the power output I need and what is a good PSU for this power?

I'm thinking an efficient 650W and I have chosen these two models =

Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
Antec TP-650 Truepower New 650W

Antec is modular so that can help me with the cable management. Which one do you guys suggest?

more importantly, is 650W enough? Say I go for a high end GPU like 4890 or GTX 285, will 650W be able to handle the power needed?

Thank you all in advance

Yes, 650W is the sweet spot for your needs.
Very good choices. :thup:
I'd go for TP New but really doesn't matter, pick one which you like more.
You can take a look at new HX650 too (replacement for HX620).

well if you wanted you could get the 550VX or the 520HX(modular), or if you want to keep the 650watt going get the 620HX. might be a bit more but it is the same as the 650 but modular.

Back