• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me figure out Pricing VS timing VS Kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

Hello,

I just got a great price for a new ryzen 3970x which i paired with the ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme
I`m surfing the net to find good 64GB 3600 memory, and i simply cannot understand how pricing works.

1. Some 2x16 Kits if i would buy 2 would be cheaper then 4x16GB kits! ... as far as i know pairing 4 modules of the same brand will work in quad channel\

2. there are loads of kits out there that are 19-19-19-38 which are way more expensive then a 16-16-16-36 kit from Gskill. Ex:
CL16 Kit 420E

WQVtuHx.png

CL16 Kit NEO's - 672E

9rDZFez.png

Let's not go Corsair which cost upwards to 1000E and don't even have CL16 timings...

What am i missing?

EDIT: I would guess B-Die's would be more expensive. but upon searching the B-Die chips are only 2x16GB and they somehow are the cheapest!
I used: https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

This is so weird...

Thanks in advance! :thup:

Last edited:
I'll let the more knowledgeable people chime in on the chips and all that but I just went through buying a new set for myself so I know your confusion well. From what I found out the timings did play a big role in the prices, even from the same manufacturers. Also both sets you posted have all the rgb stuff which adds to the price so unless you want that you can save some cash by opting out of that. I found rgb to add quite a bit. One thing to remember is that Newegg prices change with demand so that plays a role in the prices you see as well so keep that in mind. Sorry I can't be more help. It someone will be along shortly I'm sure.

Also if you go down to PC3200 with b die you will see more savings and more pricing sense. At least I did then just overclocked them.

The first thing I would ask, do you think you'll need 64 GB of RAM?
I would also look for RAM geared toward AMD platforms, it should tell you in the ad.

I want to upgrade from my existing 32GB, as i run WM's and RAM heavy apps.
DDR Geared towards AMD? as i have read, that was back with ddr2, but Nowadays most reputable brands should work fine.

I want to upgrade from my existing 32GB, as i run WM's and RAM heavy apps.
DDR Geared towards AMD? as i have read, that was back with ddr2, but Nowadays most reputable brands should work fine.
You'll want to stick to the memory QVL list (for your mobo) for assured compatibility. While amd has gotten better with zen2, sticking with RAM designed for AMD is a good idea as Johan said.

64GB Samsung B kits are much harder to find than 32GB ... not to mention that this IC is already discontinued so don't count on new series. If you want B-die then the same as in the case of 8GB modules, you should look for 3200 CL14-14-14 or 3600 16-16-16 ... or kits which have Samsung B in the description (Team Group does that).
Almost everything new at more relaxed timings can have Samsung B but easier to stabilize in mass production are new Hynix or Micron chips so most memory manufacturers are using them nowadays. Hynix seem to be a bit faster at the same clock but in general, it doesn't matter as in the end the difference between average and "the best" kit will be around 1% in overall PC performance. Samsung B kits have usually ridiculous prices and it's never guaranteed that used IC is overclocking high.

Btw. many kits on that B-die finder list linked in the 1st post are outdated and are not on B-die for a long time. Even when they were released then could be on any other IC too. I mean most kits at CL16+.

right.. so what i get out of the answers is.. either get a 3200 CL14 or any 3600mhz memory since the difference is negligible. (well best the modules are in the QVL list)\
looking through the QVL list, there are no 16GB G.Skill modules that are usable.. but i`m sure i saw on the g.skill site some modules that were ryzen ready..
This is stupidly confusing.. Guess i`ll order multiple kits, see which fits the best...

Last edited:
Back