• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help me find a monitor, no TN and no 16/9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

didipig

Hello

I just broke my monitor, a Philips 190p7 with MVA panel, which I loved. :cry:

I spent several days searching the web for a new screen which suits me, but did not find any :rain: , so I ask for help, and there seems to be experts here.

My criterions :

- I make cartoons and paintings, so what I want most of all is quite good accuracy and contrast to let me see any error I would make on my works. (I remember that when I got the 190p7 I saw errors on my works that I did not see with my previous screen, bad brush strokes, bad cuts in Photoshop, and so on. ) I also would like quite good color fidelity. (I don't have a calibrator)

- Poor latency, because I draw and paint with a wacom tablet so latency is disturbing. Poor ghosting two, if possible, because ghosting is annoying when working on an animation.

- Bad time for me, I can't spend more than $250 at most... (that restricts choice...)

- Now here comes trouble : I want 4/3 or 16/10 ratio, not 16/9 !
I have found a few very good cheap screens (BenQ GW2450HM, LG IPS231P, ASUS ML239H, VIEWSONIC VX2336s) but they all are 1920x1080...:rolleyes:

So, to make a long story short : I am looking for a screen with a MVA or PVA or IPS panel, either :
- 21/22'' 1600x1200 (I only found relics from 2006 or very expensive pro models I can't afford even if used...)
- 22/23'' 1680x1050 (I only found gamer ones with TN panels or very expensive pro models I can't afford even if used...)
- 23/24'' 1920x1200 (I only found very expensive pro models...)

Voilà. Do you know ones which suit my needs ?
The only one I found which fits my needs is the LG W2220P but I searched everywhere and it's not sold anymore...:rain:

Last edited:

fornoob

Hi!

Welcome to the forum :)

It's kinda funny, I have got a very similar dilemma in the choice of my screens ^^'.

16:10 are still a little too much reserved to the professionnal world, but here are a few descent choice, if we know what we want to do:

If you seek color fidelity and descent static contrast:
http://www.amazon.fr/Dell-UltraShar...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1346155082&sr=1-1

It is in your price range and should be fine for your kind of use BUT:
it is a catastrophe for the games! This screen is great for every job except the games where it suffers from a hell of reverse ghosting (about 25ms!)
If nothing is moving too quickly on your screen, this dell is a good choice; if it does, then go for another!

The best "non-professionnal" 16:10 screen I have found and that suits to every task:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0084FNAB4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&smid=A38RCIVT7BTHZ4

not in your price range any more...

I know that Samsung sells "decent" 16:10 screens in the syncmaster serie at good prices, but contrast and color fidelity looks very poor to me! (especially the black that turns grey out...).

To conclude: 16:10 screens in your price range exists, but you won't be able to do everything in good conditions. It is up to you to look which kind of compromise you can afford ;)

Hope it will help you!

OP
D

didipig

Thanks.

I saw this model. Lag and ghosting is a problem to me, I forgot to tell that, I update my first message. My 190p7 made a little ghosting and it was already annoying when working on animations. If it was way cheaper, I may forgive this drawback and take it regardless of it, but I can't spend this money on a screen which would be annoying when working on animation which is my main activity.

I also forgot to tell : I prefer confortable pixel size than very high resolution, so I may prefer 1680x1050 than 1920x1200.

All Samsung screens I found were TN.

Knufire

I don't think Samsung has any IPS monitors. They're one of the few companies that make their own panels, and IPS production is licensed from Hitachi to LG/Phillips AFAIK.

Thing is that, just with how they work, IPS panels have higher response times than TN panels.

There's the Yamasaki Catleap, it cuts all the input ports and connections down to a single dual-link DVI. This helps bring down the response time, but they're above your budget and 16:9 (2560x1440).

OP
D

didipig

I did not think about that.. My graphic card only has two DVI slots. Not a big deal if only HDMI, I am ok with using a DVI-HDMI connexion since there would be no signal loss. VGA only would be a problem though since DVI->VGA can be blur.
Thanks for your help. ;)

fornoob

In your budget, the Iiyama Prolite B2206WS would be nice, but it is TN (of course... would have been far too easy ^^') so low side dead angle and so on... but it is a "good" screen otherwise.

The only LED screen I have found that would suit to your wish is like you said the LG W2220P... no longer available!

@Knufire: that's right; in my first look, I didn't consider if the screens were TN or IPS :)

OP
D

didipig

Really ? I always read TN is bad for graphic works because they can't be as accurate as VA or IPS, have bad homogeneity, and get eyes tired. So I always thought they were only good for gamers. If it's ok then it's a good news because I saw many screens which looked good apart from being TN.

Yes, I wanted to buy the LG W2220P but I can't find it anywhere.

Wow good price. Problem if I buy from USA are our electricity is different here, and I may have customs taxs.

Last edited:

fornoob

Let's be clear: yes! TN are not as good as IPS for graphic works! You have to pay somewhere the difference in price ^^'.

It is not really the fact that eyes get tired (I never use a screen more than 2 hours in a row, I schedule breaks), but the dead angle and the poor quality of colors that is annoying.

A TN screen would be a "good" display the time you get the money for a descent one, or as a "safety" screen :)

@Knufire: I linked this DELL screen, and the latency given is not the delay you feel in "real world". The ghosting is not measured only by counting the delay between two black or two grey, but is more subjective.

Here is a picture of what you can see on the screen in a range of 23 ms for middle intensity background:

U2412M-reverse-ghosting.jpg

sad but true...

OP
D

didipig

I kept searching.

I finally found some LG W2220P, in East countries, for ~$250-$290, I asked them if they can sell to France and shipping cost but they don't answer. Still a bit pricy anyway.

I saw some used Dell 2209WF (what is the difference with 2209WA ?) for an interesting price (~$150) on ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/DELL-2209WF-COUL...997766?pt=FR_PC_de_Bureau&hash=item20c5e3db06
The seller confirmed me they don't have any dead pixel nor scar.

But I hesitate. I start enjoying the 1200 pixels height of the screen someone lent me... so I may finally take the Dell U2412M regardless of the ghost problem. Many people on forums say that the problem is not so serious and they even play with it, so maybe it would not be a problem for working on animations. The real question to me : is the ghosting worse than the ghosting I had with my old 190p7 screen ? I can't find a review to compare.
I did not find cheap used ones on ebay.

So, I am still hesitating, I am in a dilemma... I don't know if I must buy a cheap used 2209WF (regardless of poor contrast this model has and lower resolution) or an expensive new U2412M with higher resolution (regardless of ghosting problem). :-/

Last edited: