• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me ID this annoying noise!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

Basically .. My PC is making a nasty high pitched wine/ringing noise, it seems to be linked with HDD usage however I've already tested different HDDs and still get this noise.

I've recently rebuilt my PC so the only 'Old' components are my PSU, my rad & my fans ..

Any ideas?!? Its driving me mad! :shock:

Checked your CPU fan? Mine was making a high pitched wine a while ago before I added a zip tie. Also could be your GX2. The GX2 and the 260's are well known for wining when their being pushed.

Your description sounds like coil ringing, either on the motherboard, video card, or in the PSU. Is it kind of an intermittent, shrill buzzing noise?

Unfortunately, if that is indeed what's happening, there's not really a whole lot you can do about it...

Had a GTX 260 and 285 both make the high pitched whine. That would be my first guess. Stick your ear in the case while running and listen close. Just don't get too far in there. :)

Soo I just find out exactly where its coming from n RMA?

Well, to pinpoint it you pretty much just have to stick your head in there and listen, and swap out different parts until the noise goes away. Process of elimination, basically.

But, even if you can get an RMA on the noisy part, it's probably not going to do you any good to get a warranty replacement. It's not an isolated defect... It's a matter of the design of the part and they type of coils used... which means even a replacement of the same make/model is likely to have the same problem unless the company happens to have changed the design of it. Pretty much all you can do is return the part for a refund and buy something different.

Back