• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help me with case upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domjam

hi all i need some help deciding what case to upgrade to for my build. im allso unsure if it should be another fulltower case or a midtower case. a few cases iv looked at and like are as follows. i have inclueded - and + about them..i could be wrong though :S thoughts and sugestions. thanks

corsair 760t - no dust filter ontop and flimsy side panel + removable hardrive cages and nice desighn

phantek ethoo primo : -high pricepoint + lots of room seems ideal for my setup..( this is what iv been mainly considering)

cooler master master case pro 5: -not a full tower. + nice desighn and suppost to be customisable for future upgrades.

cooler master striker stryker: -possible radiortor restrictions with memory + Nice desighn ( out of all the cases i like the look of this one most)

and last but not least my specs

i5 3570k
corsairh100(getting replacement 100i v2)
asus sabertooth z77
inno3d 980ti hybrid black
evga 980ti classifed
corsairhx1000(will be upgrading to an xfx 1050wpsu)
corsair vengance 2x8 1600mhz
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
samsung 840 EVO SSD
samsung SP2504C
cooler master HAF X

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
1. Why would you want a dust filter on what is typically the exhaust?
2. I wouldn't bother with upgrading to a 1050W PSU from 1KW. Hell, what you have listed will run on a quality 750W unit WITH overclocking (assuming you are BIOS modding that mix and match of GPUs you have there).
3. If you upgrade the cooler, Corsair would be my last choice. In no order: Coolermaster Seidon or Nepton. NZXT Kraken. Swiftech kit or EK kit.

As far as a case, that is pretty personal there. I will leave that to others with more case experience. Also, Blaylock has a great thread about cases somewhere in this section, check that out as well as other threads as I know many have built off the cases you are mentioning. :)

OP
D

domjam

1. Why would you want a dust filter on what is typically the exhaust?
2. I wouldn't bother with upgrading to a 1050W PSU from 1KW. Hell, what you have listed will run on a quality 750W unit WITH overclocking (assuming you are BIOS modding that mix and match of GPUs you have there).
3. If you upgrade the cooler, Corsair would be my last choice. In no order: Coolermaster Seidon or Nepton. NZXT Kraken. Swiftech kit or EK kit.

As far as a case, that is pretty personal there. I will leave that to others with more case experience. Also, Blaylock has a great thread about cases somewhere in this section, check that out as well as other threads as I know many have built off the cases you are mentioning. :)

thanks for replying

1: beacuse the cooler will not cover all of the the top and this will leave dust being able to get into my case.
2:my current psu is over 5 years old and needs an upgrade. i figuerd the 1050 would be a good since its fully moduler, its on sale and its got more power then my current one..since i am overclockiing and i am driving a 4 k display i would rather be safe then sorry.dunno what you meen by bios modding..no idea about that. but i did research before making the choice of having 2 dif cards in sli and both manufactures said they would work in sli .seems to be ok so far..though i do wish i had another inno3d insted of the evga..i think thats better card in general but beacuse of case at the time.this was not a possible option.
3:my cooler is still in warrenty and is not performing that well anymore..corsair will do a full replacment free of charge to a 100i. this works out cheaper then buying a new cooler .consdering all i would be paying for would be postage when sending my unit to them.

i will wait for others to respond to my post.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
1. How will it get into your case if your radiator is up top and exhausting out the top as it should be? You do not want a dust cover on your exhaust... only intake.
2. Fair enough... you don't need that much power though. If you can look at the EVGA G2 750/850W model and get it cheaper than your XFX, that would be optimal (its modular). 1KW is overkill unless you are modifying the GPU bios to overclock past its power limits. Since you are not sure what that is, I would imagine you wouldn't be doing it. Also, your 4K monitor has nothing to do with your PSU... There is plenty of headroom on a quality 850W PSU.
2a. The classifieds is, BY FAR, the better card there.
3. Good to know and that makes sense.

Good luck! :)

OP
D

domjam

1. How will it get into your case if your radiator is up top and exhausting out the top as it should be? You do not want a dust cover on your exhaust... only intake.
2. Fair enough... you don't need that much power though. If you can look at the EVGA G2 750/850W model and get it cheaper than your XFX, that would be optimal (its modular). 1KW is overkill unless you are modifying the GPU bios to overclock past its power limits. Since you are not sure what that is, I would imagine you wouldn't be doing it. Also, your 4K monitor has nothing to do with your PSU... There is plenty of headroom on a quality 850W PSU.
2a. The classifieds is, BY FAR, the better card there.
3. Good to know and that makes sense.

Good luck! :)

the radioter will not take up all of the room on the top. so that leaves the other space open to dust.. and the evga card is def the weaker out of the 2. plus my first purches of an evga product and the card was faulty. i had no such problem with the inno3d it worked right out of the box easyer to install smaller and its quiter,cooler..and overclockes higher thats why all in all i think its better. i wount be replacign it though. but i would def prefer anotehr inoo3d hybrid black insted

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you have more intake than exhaust, dust wont come in those holes. I would honestly rather have a slightly dusty case than to filter my exhaust... to each their own though.

Again, the classifieds is a MUCH better card. Overclocking has always been a 'silicon lottery' situation. I am surprised its quieter though. :)
EDIT: Oh, I see why it is quieter and may potentially overclock better, its got water cooling on it compared to air... makes sense now! :p

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
look at the evga 750/850 g2 psu's, I power 2 980ti's with one, no problem.
I at one time thought bigger was better with psu's, I learned that better is better.....