• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help. My Q9300 on a MSI P6N Diamond Wont OC at all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kumate

So I just upgraded my system from an AMD 3800 to an Intel Q9300 on a MSI P6N Diamond MB (680i chipset).

I did alot of research first and it was a choice between the 8500 and the 9300 and I decided to go with the 9300 due to the price/quad core factor. I also read alot prior that Overclocking was simple with the 9300 to get it from 2.5 to 3.0 mhz. I figured this would future proof my system for some time.

But Now I am having serious issues.

First my motherboard reads my processor as its suppose to be but only has it at 2348 mhz instead of 2.5. I figured well thats no biggy since I will be OC it anyways. Thats where my issue is. I can't even OC it 5 mhz without it failing. This is my first intel chip since the P4's so maybe I am making a fatal flaw somewhere but I dont know what it is. My MB options allow me to change the FSB and Memory timings. I cannot change the multipler for the cpu except down.

Here is a link that shows what my bios have as options. Note the settings are not the same as mine due to they use a different processor and ram and such. Just use it for a reference for the options.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2182&page=4

My FSB is set at 1333
Memory timing is 800 mhz
CPU multipler is 7.....Note please here that according to intel its suppose to be a 7.5 modifier x 333 and the MB only reads it at 7.

If you look it shows system clock mode and the options are auto/manual and linked. I have used both manual and linked (linked raises the memory and cpu at sametime).

My current cpu voltage says 0.0 so it doesnt seem to be reading it correctly
My north bridge voltage is at default which is 1.2. Next voltage is 1.275.

Now if I raise my FSB from say 1333 to 1340 and reboot I dont get anything but a black screen. bois wont even boot. Now I have changed it from almost everything from 1340 to 1500..and heres the wierd part. At 1400 it will allow me to boot to bios but once it gets to windows it doesnt show the windows XP screen and just goes black. Now for the even wierder. If I set it to 1500 (which is only 2640mhz on this thing) It will actually get me to my windows desktop and then it freezes..mouse and all. So 5 mhz more and I dont get anything. 170 more and I can get to windows....

So currently my my cpu is still faster then my old one but only running at 2360 according to bios (windows says its at 2.5 but I think that is just what its quessing its at via the ID code). I am a gamer but do alot of website constructions so went with the quad core. I am starting Age of Conan and wanted to beed my system up and figured getting this and OC it would be plenty but currently I can OC it at all. Please someone who has these boards or CPU and can help please do. I will be looking at this site like every 10 minutes till I hopefully can get some answer.

My current system
Intel Q9300
Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 *oringal GTS type*
4 gigs of OCZ dual channel 6400 ram with timings of 5-6-6-18 (2 gigs per module)
Antec Trio 650 Power supply
2 Western digital Sata 1 80 gig Raided at 0 16mb each
Using the onboard Soundblaster X-Fi that came with the board atm.
I have a sound blaster audigy card if thats needed for any reason
Silent Knight 2 CPU cooler. In total thou my system has 7 fans on it. A graphics card fan, MB fan, Dual rear exhaust fans, 1 Fan per Hardrive, A side Glass Window Fan, A port hold (top) fan, and a dual fan slot card that sits right in front of my graphics card. So massive amounts of cooling. My system case reads as 76 degrees F.

I am running Windows Xp SP3 and Bois version 1.3 for my motherboard.

I can download any tool you want or need me too *as long as its not required to buy* to get this thing O/C please.

Anyone that can help please try:)

True. ^

The problem is that the NForce680i motherboards aren't even designed to run those 45nm quad parts. This is probably apparent as seen when you stated that the board can't read half multipliers.

I'm actually surprised that you got that setup running.

680i's aren't very good quadcore overclockers to begin with. You might have random luck with that board but the board itself might be very finicky due to the aforementioned reasons.

If you want to overclock decently into the 3ghz range, consider at least NF750/780/790 boards for SLI or P35/X38 boards for nonSLI or XFire.

You can always build an E7200 rig with that 680i I reckon.

OP, have you tried updating the bios to the newest version yet so it will see the .5 multi?

I had to do that with mine before it would see my 45nm dualie.

OP, have you tried updating the bios to the newest version yet so it will see the .5 multi?

I had to do that with mine before it would see my 45nm dualie.

that still wont matter, NV600 based board's dont support 45nm quads. this is officaly from NV... i think he is the only to try to run a 45nm quad on a NV600 based board outside of NV.

Yeah, I had a Q9450 and tried using it on a 680i asus p5n32-e sli. It worked fine at default, but no matter what I did it wouldn't overclock. Now it is at 3.6Ghz minimal effort on a 780i :D

Back