• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with my Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wguerram

Hello, I have a Q9550 2.83 on a Motherboard that does not support overclock, I want buy a mobo that can take me to 3.7 at least, I'm fine to buy an used mobo on eBay, the problem I've is that I also need to buy memory 8GB minimum so I have no clue which mobo and memory I should buy.

I've been googling around and no luck.

Could someone please help me with compatible mobo and memory. I'll really appreciate it.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Wow X38/X48 chipset boards are hard to come by, and even if you do find them they're quite expensive. For that kind of money you'll be better off getting a Z77 cpu, board and ram combo. The 775 is a dead socket and it's not worth the money to spend unless you're doing it for nostalgic reasons.

OP
W

wguerram

Wow X38/X48 chipset boards are hard to come by, and even if you do find them they're quite expensive. For that kind of money you'll be better off getting a Z77 cpu, board and ram combo. The 775 is a dead socket and it's not worth the money to spend unless you're doing it for nostalgic reasons.

Nebulous, thanks for your reply. Would you please suggest what mobo, memory and Z77 cpu I could buy for the same money that also support overclocking?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Any Z68/Z77 motherboard will overclock. A 2600K (z68), 3570K (z77), 3770K (z77) cpu will also overclock. Be sure the cpu is a "K" version which means it's unlocked and will be able to overclock easier because of it's unlocked multiplier. You can google search your motherboard/cpu choices and you'll find what you're looking for alot easier.

Brands of motherboards to search for are:

Asus
ASRock
Gigabyte
MSI

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Need to be clear that z68/z77 wont fit your cpu.. these guys are suggesting a new system....

OP
W

wguerram

Nebulous, You gave me an idea and I end up convinced that I need a new system instead of going your direction I'll go with an
Intel G4560 very close to what I was looking for with overclocking my Q9550 and the MoBo MSI Z270 SLI PLUS (I'm choosing this one in order to have room to grow in the near future).

My question now is what memory should that this procesor can handle it but also if in the future I buy a better processor I won't have to replace the memory if you could include a link to newegg or amazon or the specific model # please.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You dont want a dual core and game with it...whats your budget?

For memory, you'd want 2x8 ddr4 3000 mhz. For which ones exactly, you can see the qvl list for the motherboard at its website.

OP
W

wguerram

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

You can see here what I'll building in the next couple of days https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HCW7BP

I already have a GTX 750Ti SC 2GB that I was using with my Q9550.

Any additional recommendation are welcome to save money :)

In a couple of years I hope to buy a better CPU and GPU, hopefully I won't have to make changes to this Rig.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Again, save for an i3... dual cores get kicked in the pants in many titles right now...

Get a 500W evga psu and save $20...put that towards your gpu.. sell the 750ti for something better... 1060, rx 480... something. 750ti already cant keep up at 1080 in a lot of titles.

The memory you can lower to 3000 or even 2800 to save more money to lut towards a gpu...memory speed isnt a bottleneck there...

Last edited:
OP
W

wguerram

Again, save for an i3... dual cores get kicked in the pants in many titles right now...

Get a 500W evga psu and save $20...put that towards your gpu.. sell the 750ti for something better... 1060, rx 480... something. 750ti already cant keep up at 1080 in a lot of titles.

The memory you can lower to 3000 or even 2800 to save more money to lut towards a gpu...memory speed isnt a bottleneck there...

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I sure as hell wouldn't use the board she is and overclock your quad... that board can barely handle its own with a dual, none the less the additional stress an overclocked quad core will put on it. She also failed to tell you she has heatsinks on the power bits to necessarily keep them cool... so consider that as well.

Jorge_P

if your still trying to find a good MOBO for your Q9550 i would recommend using Asus P5Q either turbo or pro, im running the same chip and i've been able to OC it to 3.8Ghz stable 8GB ram

Jorge_P

Asus P5Q Turbo Intel Q9550 Overclocked 3.8GHZ.jpg

been playing all the new games also forgot to mention i have the gtx 750ti GPU aswell and working well :) couldn't be more happier with my build

Jorge_P

GTA V, Witcher, CS GO, Overwatched, Argo, and many more games. have you upgraded your build?

Mjolnir

The Pentium he lists is a hyperthreaded pentium. It's essentially the same as an i3, why would he spend more? o.o

-----

OP: Stock cooler with your list would be fine. You cannot oc the pentium, so your z series board is a waste..

Have you considered the Ryzen 1200? With the money you're using in the system build you listed, I'm sure you could even get away with a Ryzen 1600 build. Lose the extra fan, lose the bracket. Drop PSU to a ~500w unit bronze (it really doesn't matter as long as a quality build/brand) Grab a reasonable B350 board and you're good to go. Stick with the GTX 750 Ti for now, then upgrade later with extra cash. My brother is using my old GTX 750 Ti still and runs games generally fine at 1080p, but he really only plays CS:Go, Overwatch and Guild Wars 2.

Jorge_P

The Pentium he lists is a hyperthreaded pentium. It's essentially the same as an i3, why would he spend more? o.o

-----

OP: Stock cooler with your list would be fine. You cannot oc the pentium, so your z series board is a waste..

Have you considered the Ryzen 1200? With the money you're using in the system build you listed, I'm sure you could even get away with a Ryzen 1600 build. Lose the extra fan, lose the bracket. Drop PSU to a ~500w unit bronze (it really doesn't matter as long as a quality build/brand) Grab a reasonable B350 board and you're good to go. Stick with the GTX 750 Ti for now, then upgrade later with extra cash. My brother is using my old GTX 750 Ti still and runs games generally fine at 1080p, but he really only plays CS:Go, Overwatch and Guild Wars 2.

Please help with my Q9550
Hello, I have a Q9550 2.83 on a Motherboard that does not support overclock, I want buy a mobo that can take me to 3.7 at least, I'm fine to buy an used mobo on eBay, the problem I've is that I also need to buy memory 8GB minimum so I have no clue which mobo and memory I should buy.

I've been googling around and no luck.

Could someone please help me with compatible mobo and memory. I'll really appreciate it.

I think and if I'm wrong please accept my apologize but he mentioned the Q9550 which is not a HT its a intel core 2 quad chip so he wouldn't be spending to get some performance with his build. no water cooler required just a good fan cooler