• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with new build :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwinEgo

ok, firstly I am experienced in putting together pc's so this isn't new to me, so don't worry about that but what I do really need help with is choosing the components. It feels like at the moment there is so much more available within set price/desired ranges than ever before.

I am a student, and in true student style I have far to much time on my hands... thus I am a gaming fanatic. So this system needs to keep me going for a while, and just to give you an idea of hardware demands that I'll need these are some of the games I play heavily at the moment:

• Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Supreme Commander 2
  • Just Cause 2
  • WoW (Yep still addicted to that one)
  • Left4Dead etc...

I'd like to be able to continue playing these all at high settings on my current resolution 1680x1050 (although in a few months I will be upgrading my monitor to an LED BenQ 23.5" @ 1920x1080).

My current hardware is:

• AMD Phenom x 4 940BE @ 3.2ghz
  • Foxconn mobo (sorry can't remember model)
  • OCZ Platinum 4gb DDR2 ram
  • Samsung F1 Spinpoint 320gb
  • XFX 4850 @ 725/1130
  • Generic, truly god awful PSU 650w

The above system is going to my g/f who is selling my old Q6600 as there is still a market for it on ebay =/ So I want a system that is a step up from that.

I should mention I am from the UK and the absolute limit is between £650-700 to spend, Ideally between £600-650.

There are a few sites in the UK we use widely:

Ebuyer
Aria
Overclockers
Scan

Using ebuyer I have compiled this build for £593.21:
  • AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 Retail Boxed Processor
  • Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X Socket AM3 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit Unbuffered CL9
  • OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan
  • PowerColor HD 5850 PCS 1GB GDDD5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card With Call Of Duty Game coupon
  • Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

I was originally planning to get two 5770's and run them in crossfire but people have warned me away from it, saying it doesn't scale well. Also the motherboard runs in x8 in dual mode for the pci-e lanes. Whilst this won't be a problem for mid range cards I realise that it stops my crossfire upgrade path dead in its track in later years with higher end cards.

Also the 550BE dual core is something of a gamble, I am hoping to possibly unlock 1/2 cores using that mobo and ACC but I realise that its by no means a given. So if for example it was stuck as a dual core would this be enough to run more cpu demanding games like BFBC2, bearing in mind I will be overclocking it heavily. Some people have told me that the i3 530 is amazingly fast in games when overclocked to 4.00ghz, and it apparently overclocks surprisingly well on air. With regards to the AMD 550 if I couldn't unlock it I think I would just swap it out when thuban is released later this year if it won't handle games. I am specifically looking at that 5850 (Powercolor PCS+) as apparently it overclocks well and can be pushed with a mild voltage increase to within 1% performance of its bigger brother, the 5870.

I will be using my samsung HDD, and DVD drive in my new build so I don't need to buy one :)

But yer, so there you have it... I need a system that is 1) Future proof for some time, with a decent upgrade path 2) would you change any of the parts or recommend an intel i3 build over AMD 3) Will that PSU definitely be sufficient for a 5850 and potentially a possible quad core from core unlocking?

Thank you for any help you can offer, I just need to make sure I get the most for my money as it will be a fair while till I can afford to do this again (after my degree more than likely :p).

TwinEgo.

bda1967

I like the way you are thinking about unlocking an extra core from the AMD so I would say go that route. I think the PSU will be fine for the 5850 but I would not Crossfire with that. I would be sure to add plenty of fans to your case and go for a push/pull config on your cpu cooler too. Oh and :welcome:

psionic98

+1 to the 5850 idea, and even though you "might" get away with crossfire on that card since its lower power consumption, but since you're going to oc it either way i wouldn't suggest it.

check out this thread on psu's and see if there is anything in that ballpark on your sites
Tried and Tested PSU list

otherwise i would hope your gamble pays off, but even if it does you need to be aware that the unlocked core(s) may cause instability above stock speeds.. thats why they are locked out in the first place..

and :welcome:

ScottinIndy

Well, My 550BE didn't unlock, So as you have already stated, Be sure you will be happy with a dual core just in case. As far as the CPU cooler, I am using the Freezer 7 rev.2, It's perfect for my needs, I have O.C.ed to 3.6 on stock volts and it's all I really need, Load temps hit 47-48°. It is a good cooler for moderate O.C.ing, You said you want to O.C. heavily, In that case I would honestly suggest a better cooler, If you start adding voltage and you get lucky and a core or cores unlock you will likely need more horsepower in the cooling dept.
My 550 does well for me in games, With my video card I play mostly medium settings, I mostly play Fallout 3 and Stalker so I really don't know how it would do on some of the latest and greatest games. You will of course have quite a bit more horsepower in the GPU area then I have. I really haven't kept on how games are coded and what games are better suited for quads vs dualies, Etc.

OP
T

TwinEgo

I am using the Freezer 7 rev.2, It's perfect for my needs, I have O.C.ed to 3.6 on stock volts and it's all I really need, Load temps hit 47-48°. It is a good cooler for moderate O.C.ing, You said you want to O.C. heavily, In that case I would honestly suggest a better cooler, If you start adding voltage and you get lucky and a core or cores unlock you will likely need more horsepower in the cooling dept.

Could you suggest to me a better cooler please? I was tempted by the h50, as with that build I have £50 spare and could afford to get it, but I heard you have to know what you're doing with them to get the most out of them and well... I am new to watercooling :D

EDIT: Would people suggest the AMD 550be over an i3 build then?

Last edited:

ScottinIndy

psionic98

the h50 should handle a dual core better than it does an i7 quad.. so if you can squeeze it in.. i'd say go for it

OP
T

TwinEgo

the h50 should handle a dual core better than it does an i7 quad.. so if you can squeeze it in.. i'd say go for it

As I stated above, I'm a little concerned about using a watercooling system in case I don't get it right as apparently its effectiveness depends on how well you place it etc and I have never worked with watercooling before so am a little cautious, is it relatively easy?

Sukhoi37

Hello everyone. I am very familiar with Overclockers but I recently decided to join the forum due to my new project.

A friend of mine came across an Alienware Area-51 desktop, and he gave it to me. I opened it up and found it has the Intel D875PBZ board, but either my friend or the previous owner removed the RAM, HDDs, and video card. The case is in fair condition, it just has surface scratches and plenty of dust. What I am wondering is if it would be worth me rebuilding it with a nice expandable board (socket 1156/1366 or AM2/AM3) and make it to half-capacity with most likely no OS. I checked Ebay and they have plenty of Alienware desktops with 0 bids =[. Should I rebuild it & sell it, or keep it for my own? What would you do?