• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with Rampage Formula problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I have a problem with my new setup. I'm trying to setup everything - starting with changing BIOS options (like getting RAID to work). Any time I change anything besides date/time and save my changes/exit it doesn't re-start. It just shuts down...few sec later one of the fans (led) gets some power for a split second and then stops.... Once I press Clear Cmos on back, it start again.... Anyone know what's causing this? I haven't installed Windows yet, will once i get the raid thing to work.

My system spec are in my sig.

EDIT: Same thing happens when i go into bios just to change so that sata are treated as RAID rather than IDE. I'm NOT overclocking as of yet....

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

The computer continues on to Windows Vista setup if I just enter bios and save as is without changes... it's only if I change anything that it shuts off after save/exit... would it still be a drive problem then?

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

I'm using BIOS 0219 that shipped with the mb. A lot of other people are using the same BIOS with no problems, would it still be because of the BIOS?

BTW that is matter if I have 8pin or 4pin connected to mother board.

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

Update:

I've tried several things...

+ Updated Bios to 0401
+ disconnected power/sata cable from 1 hd and 1 dvdrw
+ disconnected both hd and dvd-rws
+ re-did connections to peripherals and mb

All did the same thing: nothing. Still same problem.

I also noticed using F10 in BIOS vs going to select the actual option 'save and exit' has higher chance of no-restart.......

I can change anything in BIOS except 'Extreme Tweaker' page. As soon as i change anything there - no re-start. This happens if all i do is change the first option to 'manual' and change cpu vcore to 1.2V (vs 1.9xx).

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the mb or ram... Don't know how it can be the ram though as trying to change anything with the cpu also causes the problem....

Any opinions on my assumptions? Could it also possibly be the ps though?

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

Now i can't change anything in bios again.... :(

anybody know what's wrong? defective mb?

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

lol...I did... after being on hold for 15 minutes, they hung up on me... :)

I can send the mb back to the place where i bought it from though (i have free rma shipping to them) - which would be a LOT faster than dealing with asus.

I just wanted to be sure it was the mb before doing the rma though...I don't want to wait months here rma'ing individual parts... :(

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

I actually fixed it.... :)

Using a real 'dumb' solution (which was recommended to me by another user on another forum): Hold power button down for several seconds after it shuts off. Then press power button like normal: re-starts with new settings!

...so no rma req'd... :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

w2richwood

glad you got it fixed when you clear cmos you should pull battery and put clr jumper on 3/4 for at lest ten min.s this can help lots of times
Rich

OP
TombKeeper

TombKeeper

I'm stillm having this problem.... i finally tried to oc today, and the thing wouldn't post... had unplug/rest cmos.loaded my prev working settings, no boot still..... had to change a few things at a time in bios to get it working back to normal.

What the heck is wrong with my setup? This is very annoying if it happens with every failed oc! What could be the problem? I checked ram with memtest and nothing. I think it's the ps, mb or the case...? But i've seen someone else have this proble on asus forums, and he's using all different components other than mb... and he even rma'ed his mb and still same thing....