• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE, YOU! COMMENT YOUR 2 CENTS!!! Im ordering a PSU on a TINY budget tomorrow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^Bobnova speaks wise words there!

Never cheap out on the PSU!

A quality 600W unit will allow both CPU and GPU overclock, without restrain.

Sentey makes some good ones... they also make some bad ones. The xpp is one of the bad ones.

Yeah and you know what they aren't? Cheap.

Not sure what that has to do with my comment. :shrug:

Sentey uses ODM's and rebadges, you cant fairly make a carte blanche statement such as
Sentey is garbage.
without clarifying which one really. All I was saying is the one he picked out is not one of the "good ones", implying he has better options (as mentioned by others).

I still am at a loss as to why he wanted to cut corners on the PSU of all things.
Save money on case fans, or keyboard, or mice......things that can be easily replaced without having to disconnect everything.....and that doesn't have the potential to kill everything it is connected to.

I still am at a loss as to why he wanted to cut corners on the PSU of all things.
Save money on case fans, or keyboard, or mice......things that can be easily replaced without having to disconnect everything.....and that doesn't have the potential to kill everything it is connected to.

All it takes is one PSU wiping out your brand new mother board to get you on the "quality psu train".

Sentey uses ODM's and rebadges, you cant fairly make a carte blanche statement such as without clarifying which one really. All I was saying is the one he picked out is not one of the "good ones", implying he has better options (as mentioned by others).
Clearly I can, as I did just that.

I'd far rather have people not buy the one (1) good Sentey unit I found in some quick review searching than buy one of the dozens of completely garbage units and blow their hardware to hell.
I'll happily do the same to a wide variety of other "manufacturers" too. The majority of them have made at least one decent PSU, even Logisys.
Does that make it a good brand? Hell no.
Does that make their less-than-top-of-their-complete-line units any less dangerous? Hell no, arguably worse really as people will read the good review and buy the garbage units thinking they're the same.
Moreover given that we're talking about someone who is trying to cheap out on PSUs and the one (1) good sentey unit is far from cheap I'd say that the context is another good reason for a blanket statement of "sentey is garbage". Certainly every sentey unit in his likely price range is garbage, and if he's going to throw $150 down on something you can do a hell of a lot better than sentey in that range now anyway.

Lastly, if you'd like to actually change my mind find me a current, decent value, good, properly reviewed Sentey unit. I will happily retract my earlier statement and declare you correct if you can do that. By current I mean actively sold by Newegg or Amazon. NOT a skeevy reseller with old stock selling via newegg/amazon, mind you. That's a whole different disaster.

Best I can find are some Sirtec-looking bronze units for vaguely reasonable prices on Amazon. No real reviews though, and if a company won't send units out for honest testing generally they are afraid of what it'll find.
Personally I have a strong distaste for Sirtec after a few of their units displayed ripple close to 10x the allowed maximum during mid-load after sustained high load testing. A few like every Sirtec I've tested.
Take that with as much salt as you'd like, but those Sirtec units had good parts, NCC caps, srsbsns MOSFETs, good layouts, good cooling, bad design. You know, the part Sirtec actually does.

I still wouldn't get it, $59.99 or not for multiple reasons...

1. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=174 (not the same, just its bigger brother)
2. If Im only using 300W, that PSU will be LESS than its bronze rating at such low power draw.
3. Old spec PSU.. circa 2009.
4. That's also AFTER a MIR...not sure the OP can wait IF the MIR comes back in the first place.
5. See #1.

Coolermaster? Make sure you do your research...on ANY of them. Just because you "recognize" the brand, doesn't mean they make good PSUs. ;)

Oh, believe me I DO.
I've had nothing but good luck with CM, not to say they don't have lemons, all manufacturers do.
And I am VERY quick to RMA things if I think something is the slightest bit off. Specially on PSUs

Back