• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plexiglass Case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunchbox!

Hello all, I am looking into building a plexiglass case. I have A very good idea what I want, but need some help with the modding. Does anyone have a case made of plexiglass. If so is it difficult to work with? I am also looking at getting A PC Power and cooling "turbo cool 425 atx". Does this look like a good psu?

tft

I have a plexiglass case that I made, which I'm using now. The only drawback is that it's a little more time consuming to do things like that the side off, remove drives etc. Other than that it's great. It's nice becuase I made mine very big, and you can customize it whatever way you want. Just make sure you know exactly how you'll mount everything

Tecumseh

Plexiglass, is difficult to cut on anything but a bandsaw.
At least and make the edges look good.

These cases can look very impressive is done correctly.

There is an issue however. That is EMI. Plexiglass
provides no EM shielding whatsoever. That means
such a case could interfere with the radios, TVs and
other comm gear in the area.

Cluster

I'm in the process of building one. You can get a knife to cut plexiglass. It's alot like an exacto knife. i use a dremel to cut mine. Only problem is they don't really cut. They just melt the plastic and bring it up. It is quick though.

I got a couple of questions. How did you do the back of your case to get the I/O ports to match up, the PCI slots to match up, and what did you mount the Mobo on? And what about drive bays, how hard are they?

Also what's EMI?

Hotsauce

You can also use a saber saw to cut plexiglass, you have to get a specific blade for it if you want it to come out nice.

Since you don't have any experience cutting plexiglass, make sure that when you make your purchase that the store leaves the protective paper in place.

I know this sounds dumb, but I bought some once to build a divider for one of my aquariums. I was in such a hurry that I hadn't noticed until I got home that the lady at the store had peeled off the paper.

Scratched it in a bad way when I cut it with my saber, but it didn't matter that much considering what I was using it for.

Tecumseh

clboertien said:

Also what's EMI?

Electromagnetic interferrence. It shows up as
static on a radio and snow on a TV using an
antenna. It is regulated by the government and
companies spend millions on design and testing
to be sure they comply with the regulations.
Also sometimes called RFI == Radio Frequency
Interferrence