• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PlexiGlass? Needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

triflux

Disabled
Hey guys I just bought the Minion 4000 and there is a problem with the case.

The air intake places are clogged up by the power/reset button. And if you notice in the pictures below the side vent fan is more of an annoyance then an actually benefit.

So I was thinking about mounting a slab of plexiglass does anyone a good brand name and also a web address for me?

minion4000b-03small.jpg

minion4000b-13small.jpg

Hit your local Home Depot or Lowe's, they all carry plexi-glass in thickness from (I think)1/8th" to 1/4th" and anywhere from 24"x36" (2'x3') to 48"x96" (4'x8'). The 4'x8' @ 1/4th" thickness are $95 each at my local Home Depot. Hope this helps. :)

Did you read that article? He says that goofy vent is the only thing that allows air into the case. Get rid of that and you'll have a mighty hot case on your hands. Of course, you can always add a couple of blowholes.

hahhaha stool

that is my whole point the air is not direct enough in it. So I plan on putting up the plexiglass and adding about two blowwholes with 80mm fans backing them up.

I was just wondering if plexi-glass has any negative effects on anything. thanks for all the info I will hit the local hardware store

I haven't heard anything bad about it. Heck, some people or making whole cases out of it and aren't having any problems. Are you going to put a fan through the plexi? If so, P.M. Digger and ask him for the link to his case with the modded fan on the back side that he put through the plexi there. It is SWEET!

yeah, I know in some ways they thought about some cool stuff but they totally left out the basics of all good cases.

The plexi shouldn't cost you much at Home Depot...just realize they have two kinds. One is UV protectant, the other isnt...I didn't see much of a reason for UV protectant Plexi though...

The difference of cost is consierable. I think I paid $16 for a 4x6 foot sheet of 1/4inch plexi...

The only hard part is cutting it. Its not hard, but a saw will crack it VERY quickly. Plexi is a pain becuase it cracks very easily, so be VERY careful when drilling it. Take your time or you'll have to start over...talking from experience there, after cracking my window on the last hole I was drilling :)

Best thing to do for cutting it is use a dremel, its fun becuase you don't cut it as much as you just melt it! But, I cut a 92mm blowhole in my window, which leaves alot of dried melted plexi around hwere you cut. Pop on a sanding wheel and it comes right off and you can sand your edges smooth. End result is pretty nice.

I'm not sure how different working with Lexan is, such as cutting...I've heard it doesn't crack as easy. I've never really tried finding it in local stores though...mainly b/c I've got quite a bit of plexi left...

Pop a big window in the side with a few blow holes and that'll work great and look great.

Mike

I've heard the reason some folks get the UV kind is because if you use a blacklight in or near it a lot, it weakens it to where it cracks VERY easily. Same concept as plastic left in the sun to much and starts to "dry rot". You can tell because it is not as clear and you can crack it by flicking it. This might take a couple of years to happen, so if you want it for a long time, you might toss more at it and get the UV kind. Just what I've heard and my $0.02. :)

i got some 1/8 plexi, it is replacing the side and front panels on my sx1030b. It seems fine, but should i get extra thickness in case? and it cracks very easy, but dremel dont seem to have that prob

1.4Tbird, bad chip w/mc462a
512mb DDR333
A7V266
GF2@333,520
2working 60gig 60gxp drives, 1 has failed

If you want to make sure that it is not easy to break, you might consider it especially if you are a LAN gamer. If you don't move it and are careful not to nock it around, it should be good.

thanks for all the info I hope to hit home depot this weekend. I guess at this I may as well get some LEDS put in the case etc... I hope to upload the picture of the case in it's final stage thanks for all the info!

Back